Cable Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Modem

I have TWC internet, and I am having issues. They told me the first time around that it is an issue with the modem, switched out the modem, and apparently I got another bad one. They are issuing Motorola surfboard 5101N's Is there a better option out there for a modem? I am paying $6/mo rental for the modem. I would rather purchase my own, especially if I am going to get better performance out of it.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

I would stick with theirs until they figure out the problem. Yes there are better modems but you probably won't see a performance increase unless you are subscribed to a fairly fast service that needs DOCSIS 3.0. In that case then yeah it'll be a huge difference.

Comment

I am on 30MBp/s

Comment

I bought my own modem SB6121 instead of renting from Charter.

I had problem recently with internet cutting in and out. I had a good down stream signal but the up stream was maxed out, meaning the modem was straining to get a signal back to the system. It turns out I had a bad splitter.

The dl and ul are different frequencies and splitters have a certain bandwidth. When the splitter goes bad you could lose up/down or both.
        class joke
        {
        private:
        char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
        double Peas, Carrots;
        string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
        };

Comment

Charter actually gave me a DOCSIS 3.0 modem last year, I had my own surfboard for years but they insisted I upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            Charter actually gave me a DOCSIS 3.0 modem last year, I had my own surfboard for years but they insisted I upgrade.
            That's what they gave me as well.

Comment

Well. I got a call about 2:45 today asking if my service was working, they had reset something on their end. I get home, it seems to be working just fine. We went to dinner and when we came back, no service and the modem is back to cycling itself. Another call to tech support, another pissed off night.

Comment

What is your modem's signal levels?

go to 192.168.100.1
                class joke
                {
                private:
                double Peas, Carrots;
                };

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
                  What is your modem's signal levels?

go to 192.168.100.1
                  I wish I could. I haven't had a stable internet signal, mostly no signal at all. I am going to attribute it to hooking up a service line that hadn't been used in a LONG time.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    I wish I could. I haven't had a stable internet signal, mostly no signal at all. I am going to attribute it to hooking up a service line that hadn't been used in a LONG time.
                    That's probably your router or modem's IP address, it doesn't have anything to do with outside internet. Look on your modem for the MAC address, call TWC and make sure they have the right one configured.

With only the coax and power plugged in to the modem it should have the top 4 LEDs on solid, if not I'd replace the coax cable from it to the wall and try again. If there isn't any difference then take a look at the wire from the cable company going into your house. Beyond that it's going to be there problem and there isn't anything you can fix.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post

192.168.100.1 should be part of your personal network address. Just type it in to the url place in the browser. It will open up a page of the modem status.
                      class joke
                      {
                      private:
                      double Peas, Carrots;
                      };

Comment

They always want to blame the modem it's like SOP for the so called techs they send out. We have twc and have our own modem awhile back our Internet connection started randomly dropping/reconnecting the ole lady calls them they send out a guy to look at it. He doesn't test a single thing just hooks up a new modem says yup that's it you can rent ours for $ a month I tell her over the phone to wait till I get back all I did was power cycle our modem ground out the coax reattached and it's been working perfect since.

Comment

I noticed that the ground at the main connection outside is not done properly. It runs from the cable block, down to the ground rod where it is twisted to a wire coming off of the rod, not sure if that matters.

I managed to get tech support level 3 today and I lucked out and the modem was online and he was able to run some tests and determined it to be a hardware issue

Comment

Originally posted by chevyhater01 View Post
                            They always want to blame the modem it's like SOP for the so called techs they send out.
                            Well it is the most common source of problems on their side. Power surges and excessive heat tend to fry electronics. If it doesn't fix the problem they can "refurb" the modem with a can of air.

Comment

I spent 3-4 days going through the whole...unplug this, unplug that....

Comment

Working...
                              X