Three monitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three monitors?

I have three monitors available to me at work, and with the multiple programs I use throughout the day, it would be great to use them all. The computer is a Dell laptop that sits closed on a dock. The dock feeds signal to the monitor(s), and attaches wirelessly to the keyboard and mouse. Several people at my office use two monitors now with the same setup, but I've heard I need (at minimum) a different video card to make three work. Any suggestions? Is it tough to change the video card on a laptop? Is this a complicated request, or if I walk into Fry's, will the kids there know how to get me fixed up?

USB dongle and an app called UltraMon. That's how we do it at work. The name of the dongle escapes me right now.

Comment

MIght be Triton for a brand name. I know we had issues with Star Tec. Just do a search for usb adapter for 3rd monitor, there are thousands of choices. UltraMon is an app for controlling the screen output and other parameters.

Comment

It would help to know what model laptop you have, some outputs support multiple monitors, you just have to buy the cable.

Comment

Not sure on the model. Bought a USB to DVI adapter today. I then spent hours trying to get it to work. The laptop itself has HDMI, VGA, and several USB outputs. The dock has two DVI, a VGA, and several USB outputs. I could get two monitors to work using any combination of the outputs listed above, but as soon as I connect a third, one of the monitors would kick into power save mode. In the settings, the computer would recognize that three monitors were connected, but one would go into power save mode over and over. I'm far from an expert, but that sounds like the video card isn't powerful enough to me. The guys at Fry's were clueless, by the way.

Oh well.

Comment

I bet its a latitude, and has either a regular dock (1dvi and 1vga) or a pro+ Dock which has 2xdvi / 2xdisplay port.

This link mentions enabling Optimus

Comment

The dock has two DVI, one VGA, and several USB ports.

I don't know what display ports look like, but it does have two ports directly under the DVI that look a lot like HDMI, but not quite symmetrical. I have two adapters that plug into those ports and change them to DVI, which was how I hooked up the DVI to the monitors, because the DVI cables I bought have the same connection on each end, so they would plug into the monitors but not to the dock without using the adapters.

Comment

Tried to follow that link, but it got way over my head. I don't know how to activate Optimus.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  Not sure on the model. Bought a USB to DVI adapter today. I then spent hours trying to get it to work. The laptop itself has HDMI, VGA, and several USB outputs. The dock has two DVI, a VGA, and several USB outputs. I could get two monitors to work using any combination of the outputs listed above, but as soon as I connect a third, one of the monitors would kick into power save mode. In the settings, the computer would recognize that three monitors were connected, but one would go into power save mode over and over. I'm far from an expert, but that sounds like the video card isn't powerful enough to me. The guys at Fry's were clueless, by the way.

Oh well.
                  Open the laptop and look for it? Some laptops also can only do 2 + laptop screen.

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
                    Open the laptop and look for it? Some laptops also can only do 2 + laptop screen.
                    Wasn't asking how to find the model number, just stating I don't know it. I don't have the laptop with me right now.

This one won't do the laptop screen and two monitors. It will do the laptop screen and one, or laptop closed and two. I want it to do three external screens, and don't need the laptop screen.

I found a device called a Triplehead2go, but I wonder if there is a cheaper or better option, or if that would even work for sure.

Comment

Ahh that would make sense. Lol
                      Don't expect much performance coming from the third monitor (video) by adding a third monitor via usb. Look on newegg for usb display adapter; they start around $36.

Comment

Newegg offers customers an awesome experience shopping for computers, hardware, electronics, networking solutions, and more. Upgrade your shopping experience today!

Sent from my iPhail Eleventybillion

Comment

I already tried a USB to DVI adapter. No dice.

Comment

It's a Dell Latitude E5430.

Comment

Jared,

I know the dock you mean. Short answer, you are limited unless you start throwing money at it in the terms of monitors that support the DisplayPort tech.

The "hdmi'sh" looking jacks under the 2 DVi's are DisplayPort jacks.

In order to get where you want to go, your monitors need to have a DisplayPort IN connection, and at least one needs an OUT.

At that point you would setup a daisychain between Monitor1 and Monitor2, and then run Monitor3 via any of the other connections.

1) Connect the dock to Monitor1 with a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (to the IN port)
                              2) Connect Monitor1's OUT port with a cable to Monitor2's IN port. (DaisyChain)
                              3) Connect monitor 3 to the VGA/DVI or Displayport #2.

Comment

Working...
                              X