Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 Update (KB3004394) goes bad

Just FYI for users:
    ... that KB 3004394 blocks the installation or update of graphics drivers such as AMD’s new Catalyst Omega. Nvidia users are also reporting difficulty installing GeForce drivers, though I can’t confirm this personally as my machines are all Windows 8.1. Hallock recommended manually uninstalling the update, advice now echoed officially by Microsoft.

Unfortunately this newest update isn’t limited to graphics driver problems. Redmond hasn’t directly divulged each and every issue, but Microsoft’s Answer Forum is littered with tech-savvy users reporting that USB 3.0 drivers are broken and User Account Control (UAC) prompts have gone haywire. Microsoft has acknowledged that it even prevents the installation of future Windows Updates.

Perhaps most troubling is that the Windows Defender service – crucial software that blocks viruses and malware — has been disabled by the update.

Note that these problems are isolated to Windows 7 users.

Removing KB3004394

Microsoft has issued a patch to patch the patch (sorry, couldn’t resist that one), which is KB3024777 and is available directly through Windows Update. My advice? Just manually remove the problem by browsing to Control Panel -> Windows Update -> View Update History -> Installed Updates. Then, highlight the update named KB3004394 and click the “Uninstall” button. This is confirmed to resolve the issues, and Microsoft has removed the original update from the pipeline.

Microsoft has just confirmed that a recent update -- specifically KB 3004394 -- is causing a range of problems and recommends manually uninstalling the patch immediately.

Provides an update to remove the KB 3004394 update for the Windows Root Certificate Program. KB 3004394 can cause problems if installed on Windows 7-based and Windows Server 2008 R2-based computers.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Yup. It affected us last week.

Comment

Working...
    X