Universal remote options????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal remote options????

What's my best options, I'm tired of having to use three damn remotes. I need it to operate a sony tv, bose surround sound, and directtv receiver. I want to keep as many functions as possible.

opinions?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Flipper-Button-Universal-Remote-Devices/dp/B002GR1YZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420914176&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+control+for+seniors[/ame]

EDIT:
    Sorry, I didn't realize it could only control 2 devices.

Comment

If you know someone with an old harmony, take it to best buy for a credit for another remote. I got an email about this a few weeks ago

Comment

Would a harmony be a good option? They considered the best universal remote?

Comment

The best would be a nice URC brand remote with a custom program on it (Hire an AV company for an hour). For consumer grade stuff that you can do yourself Harmony is definitely the way to go.

Comment

thanks

Comment

U also might try the sony learning remotes. Best buy has an 8 device for $25. U can custom program any button by using the original remotes.

Comment

thanks, I just ordered this.

For the money, seemed to be my best option.

Harmony 650

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVECU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                  thanks, I just ordered this.

For the money, seemed to be my best option.

Harmony 650

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know that works. Seeing this thread got me looking at some too. Was thinking of this one or the 700

Comment

I have a Harmony One (which is discontinued now), and it was amazingly simple to program and operate, but I need to get a new battery for it as it isn't holding a charge very well anymore:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Advanced-Universal-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005FO43OU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421090756&sr=8-2&keywords=harmony+one[/ame]

Bought a Harmony Smart Control and set it up for my parents. Their problem is making sure everything turns off when they press the power button, as when it gets out of sync they generally call me and tell me it doesn't work:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-996-000118-Harmony-Smartphone-Refurbished/dp/B00L5H1IQM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421090825&sr=8-2&keywords=harmony+smart+control[/ame]

This will be the next one for my household when the One finally dies, unless something newer/better is out by then from Logitech:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-000237-Ultimate-Entertainment-Automation/dp/B00N3RFCBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421090920&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+ultimate[/ame]

Comment

My HTC M8 works pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                        Let me know that works. Seeing this thread got me looking at some too. Was thinking of this one or the 700
                        I have been using this remote for about 5 years now. It controls my Samsung tv, Motorola cable box, LG sound bar(useless piece of shit), apple tv, ps3(with the addition of a ps3 add on box of some sort).

It is EXTREMELY easy to use and program. Battery life is still really good. I only have to charge it every 2 or 3 weeks for a night. I would definitely recommend it. I've dropped in hardcore onto hardwood, tile, etc... and have never had any problems with it.

Comment

How do they work for navigating on a smart TV? (Entering user id, passwords, searchesetc on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu... Etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                            I went with this over the 700 cause of people reporting poor battery life with the 700. The 700 has been discontinued so that's another reason I went with the 650.

Ill have it tomorrow, and Ill let you know how I like it. I watched a few videos on youtube, I think Im going to be happy with it

Comment

I have owned every harmony remote since 2005. Here's what I can tell you. Their customer service is shit. The remotes are extremely fragile. I have owned 12 different universal remotes from them. I broke my Harmony 800/900 series 5 times. I broke my Harmony One remote twice. I haven't broke my Harmony Ultimate remotes yet. If it's within a year, they'll replace it. If it's over a year, they'll give you 50% off their stupid high MSRP that no one uses (essentially like 10-20% off).

They are fragile. I've broken somewhere around 10 remotes due to dropping. And when I say dropping, I mean like having it fall off a couch or get caught in a blanket and fall down. Unfortunately I can't find anything better to replace them, but be aware. They work well, the app they supply is pretty easy to use. The Harmony One is much better than the older series as far as speed. One of the biggest complaints I have with Harmony remotes is they are slow to send signals, and you cannot speed them up, even though the UI give you ms delays, it's entirely fake. It will take 2 seconds for it to type in most channels, that's really annoying. It's been like this for a decade, but it's getting better.

I have two harmony ultimate remotes, and I one third still in the box as a spare, whenever one inevitably breaks.
                              Last edited by CJ; 01-12-2015, 06:54 PM.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X