Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I built a new gaming computer a few weeks ago...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I built a new gaming computer a few weeks ago...

Here are the progression pics. Sorry if they're big or small or grainy or whatever.

What I started with:
    • Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Mid-Tower Case (came with 2 x 140mm (in front) and 1 x 120mm fan (in rear) already mounted in the case
    • ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Motherboard
    • Intel Core i7 4790k (4.40 GHz) Processor
    • MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G Video Card
    • 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM (will upgrade later to higher speed if I see a bottleneck here)
    • Corsair CX600M Power Supply (will upgrade if I plan to overclock or add a second 970 later on)
    • Corsair H100i Closed Loop CPU Water Cooling unit
    • Reusing 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD and 750 GB Seagate HDD from my now-obsolete gaming laptop, because I didn't want to spend more money

Empty case, with hard drive cage still installed (which I took out later, and you will see why):

Motherboard installed:

Case fans, front panel USB 3.0 header, and front panel HD audio jack header plugged in. The fan cables were kinda short in relation to where the pins are on the motherboard, so I may replace the fans at some point and get something with longer cables, or just splice the cables and add some length so I can clean it up more:

RAM and CPU installed (dust cover still on CPU socket while I get the radiator mounted):

Water Cooler radiator mounted and heatsink/pump assembly mounted to the SPU and Motherboard:

Video card installed:

Hard Drives installed in sleds that are attached to the back of the motherboard tray, and SATA cables connected (this is why I removed the hard drive cage):

I connected power to each item as I went along; it seemed easier to do it that way. The cabling is still a mess, but I need some different length cables, etc, and I got tired of building. I don't have any pics of it powered up, cuz I've been too busy playing games! It runs like a dream. Just need to get a better monitor instead of the crappy 60 Hz 1080p one I've got now.

Oh, and the coup de grĂ¢ce.....I forgot to put the port shield on the back of the motherboard, so at some point I have to tear it all down and put it back together

*EDIT: Total cost, excluding hard drives and monitor since I already had those was around $1200.

Not bad. Any reason you went with Intel over AMD?

Comment

Why did you start a sentence with "So?"

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        Mainly because that's the platform I am most familiar with, but also because they have increased memory throughput compared to AMD and generally get along better with NVIDIA products.

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        Why did you start a sentence with "So?"
        Artistic license. Plus, the ellipses denotes the rest of the sentence is missing, thus allowing me to start me sentence with a conjunction (thus negating the "error" of starting a sentence with a conjunction).

Comment

Why did you respond with a run-on sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            Why did you respond with a run-on sentence?
            Cuz I'm lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
              n00b

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                n00b
                Yep

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                  I gave the AMD FX 8 core processors a shot and my PC lacks in performance compared to similar Intel builds. Intel processors just seem better suited for gaming in my experience.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    I gave the AMD FX 8 core processors a shot and my PC lacks in performance compared to similar Intel builds. Intel processors just seem better suited for gaming in my experience.
                    I wonder if this will change when DX12 comes. My buddy @ Sony has been showing me their in house demos of DX12 and all those PC's are AMD rigs. It might be to bench DX12 against Mantle maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                      I wonder if this will change when DX12 comes. My buddy @ Sony has been showing me their in house demos of DX12 and all those PC's are AMD rigs. It might be to bench DX12 against Mantle maybe?
                      That would be awesome because I'm not wanting to build a new machine from the ground up.
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                      Originally posted by Denny
                      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Awesome
                        sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                        🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                          Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          That would be awesome because I'm not wanting to build a new machine from the ground up.
                          Here's a link that TXRedneck sent me. The tests this guy does show, very clearly, what DirectX 12 is capable of.

Comment

Too bad DX 12 is Win10 only.
                            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                              Too bad DX 12 is Win10 only.
                              If you're on 7 or 8, 10 will be free.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Working...
                              X