Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New liquid metal inkjet printing mass produces flexible circuits

Can print ultra-thin, conductive flexible circuit on nearly any surface

The most detrimental factor preventing wearable electronics from really taking off is the delicate balance between form factor and electronics. Until it’s possible to completely obfuscate the underlying electronics without compromising the circuit’s function, wearables won’t ever find their way into commonplace garments. Now, a new manufacturing technique may soon the way for mass-producing flexible electronic circuits by harnessing inkjet printing techniques to apply ultra-thin layers of liquid metal.

Seeking to develop stretchable electronics that are compatible with both soft robot that squeeze through tight places and wearable technologies that don’t restrict motion, researchers from Purdue University have developed a conductible liquid metal alloy that can stretch and deform without breaking, allowing them to print flexible and stretchable conductors into elastic materials and fabrics.

The printable ink is made from a base of liquid metal gallium-indium placed into a non-metallic solvent such as ethanol, before dispersing it into nanoparticles using ultrasound. Afterwards the ethanol evaporates and the remaining substance is compatible with inkjet printing. The technique, which is called “mechanically sintering gallium-indium nanoparticles,” will be outlined in greater detail in paper appearing in the journal Advanced Materials on April 18.

"Liquid metal in its native form is not inkjet-able," explains Rebecca Kramer, assistant professor of Mechanical engineering at Purdue, "So what we do is create liquid metal nanoparticles that are small enough to pass through an inkjet nozzle. Sonicating liquid metal in a carrier solvent, such as ethanol, both creates the nanoparticles and disperses them in the solvent. Then we can print the ink onto any substrate. The ethanol evaporates away so we are just left with liquid metal nanoparticles on a surface.”

Once printed on a surface, light pressure must be applied in order to regroup the nanoparticles and remove the initial coat of oxidized gallium, which acts as insulator that prevents conductivity. Kramer exclaims that the process is accomplished by either stamping or dragging a sharp edge, such as that of a silicon tip, across the surface. By selectively activating the conductivity, it’s then possible mass produce a uniform film that may later tailored for each specific function.

The scientists’ next step is to determine the impact that different materials will have on the ink’s conductivity, and if their variance may be used to create other types of circuits.

Wow, so using the ethanol as a flowing agent and once it photo-chemically evaporates it can dry into a usable/ink jetted circuit, that's impressive.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
      Wow, so using the ethanol as a flowing agent and once it photo-chemically evaporates it can dry into a usable/ink jetted circuit, that's impressive.
      Smarty art nigga.

Comment

so its just The Nintendo Power Glove 2016. Sorry, just looked at the pic.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
          so its just The Nintendo Power Glove 2016. Sorry, just looked at the pic.
          That was my first thought.... And my second was that wearable electronics haven't caught on because they're lame...not because of manufacturing processes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            That was my first thought.... And my second was that wearable electronics haven't caught on because they're lame...not because of manufacturing processes.
            You need to think outside the box, there are many possibilities and one of them is in the vacuum of space and the medical field...
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

or more realistically just for printing simple prototype circuit boards at home. No more etching bullshit.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                As weird as it seems, there are huge companies investing significantly in wearable tech. I'm waiting to see.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Yeah but what do those actually have to do with wearables?

I agree that there is use for a similar device...but not sure how wearables would be the focus. There's been a lot of work already for printed boards...and not in the conventional sense. They also make mini CNC machines for circuit board assemblies.

Admittedly, I haven't worked in any industries that I can imagine needing that. Maybe defense at some point...but the traces are useless without components somewhere...and that would be very complex to do without just hand placing them.

Comment

I would think that flexible circuit would make for much more robust technologies that are already commonplace. Then again, who wants a completely indestructible phone, when we tend to upgrade them so often anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      I would think that flexible circuit would make for much more robust technologies that are already commonplace. Then again, who wants a completely indestructible phone, when we tend to upgrade them so often anyway.
                      I would be so pissed if my phone was indestructible.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                      X