Need to extend wifi range - Verizon Fios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to extend wifi range - Verizon Fios

Forgive me but there are a thousand ways to do this and figure someone on here knows more about this stuff than I do. The Verizon Fios signal does not reach everywhere in the house and I need a way to extend the signal. I have seen people do it with with a Ubiquiti unifi long range access point, second modem, and range extender. What is the best way to do it (besides getting rid of Verizon, not many great options in my neighborhood). If it is technical to set it up I should be able to do it myself or get one of my tech nerd friends to help me out.

Just get another AP to act as a repeater.

Comment

I'd recommend disabling the wireless server on your FIOS device and buying a dedicated AP...and/or run a cable to the area that is hurting for signal and adding a dedicated AP there as well.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Are the standard modems that bad? I guess they are since we get 50 megs wires and 16 wireless

Comment

Going along with what Ceyko said, don't get a repeater, it will halve your bandwidth on the remote access point. You need to run a cable to another access point somewhere else in the house and label it with the same name and password as your FiOS one. Any recent device in the last 5 years will switch to whichever access point has the strongest signal.

You can get a cheap ass wifi router to perform this function, even one you might have laying around, hopefully it does dual band. Put the device in bridge mode and you're all set.

Don't worry about replacing your customer supplied modem, just get a second access point/router for the other part of the house.

Comment

What would be the best AP to use to share wifi between homes? I have a series of rentals next to each other. The middle house has fios but the signal isn't strong enough for the homes on either side.
            2006 Civic SI
            2009 Pilot
            1988 GT
            CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

WiFi has signal strength limits placed on it by the government for consumer devices. You're not going to find something strong enough to supply internet to all the locations off of one access point. Your best bet is to run a network cable to each home and put an access point in the middle of the home some where at the highest point, or put multiple access points in each rental which can still be done with one network cable to each rental.

Comment

If you happen to have an old can of soda or beer lying around the house and you're struggling to get a good Wi-Fi signal on your computer, The Chive h

This wikiHow teaches you how to use an empty beer or soda can to marginally increase your Wi-Fi range at home. Keep in mind that using a can to boost your Wi-Fi is unlikely to fix substantial Wi-Fi range issues, and it may actually limit...
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Those modifications work best when there is no line of site issues, when you put walls in between signals its not effective.

Comment

Working...
                  X