No announcement yet.

Has anyone jail broken a 4.2.1 iphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone jail broken a 4.2.1 iphone?

Iv been unsuccessfully trying to jail break my 3g iphone that was recently upgraded to 4.2.1. Iv tried greenpois0n, redsn0w, and limera1n and nothing works. I can get redsnow to work but it freezes up on the "waiting for reboot" screen. I managed to get through the "waiting for reboot" and the progress bar zips through. It says "done" but then the iphone is in recovery mode and when I restart it I dont have the cydia app on the phone.
    Does anyone know what I should do or at least another forum I can post the qeustion?

I don't think there's a way to jb a 3G. Could be wrong though. Check out iPodtouxchfans.com
    They have an iPhone section.
    Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

My 3G was jailbroken a couple of times using winterboard, but it made it very unstable. After the second time it crashed, I gave up. From what I understand, a 3G jailbreak is pretty unstable across the board, whereas a 3GS fares slightly better.

Comment

check iclarified.com for their tutorial pages on the 3G.

hopefully you have your SHSH backed up on either cydia or tinyumbrella so you can drop back down to the last 3.x version. 4.0+ on a 3g would make me cut my ears off.
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

I have a 3G also, make sure you are not using a charger cable from a off brand plugged into your USB to your phone. Mine kept freezing when it installed the software when I was using a off brand cable I got from amazon.

I used my actual iphone charger cable and everything went smoothly. I went from 3.1.2 to 4.1.2 with no problems after that using redsnow.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
            Iv been unsuccessfully trying to jail break my 3g iphone that was recently upgraded to 4.2.1. Iv tried greenpois0n, redsn0w, and limera1n and nothing works. I can get redsnow to work but it freezes up on the "waiting for reboot" screen. I managed to get through the "waiting for reboot" and the progress bar zips through. It says "done" but then the iphone is in recovery mode and when I restart it I dont have the cydia app on the phone.
            Does anyone know what I should do or at least another forum I can post the qeustion?
            What happened w/ Greenpois0n? I had some issues getting it to work but only because I followed the instructions EXACTLY as stated.
            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

I tried jailbreaking my buddy's 3g with no success. I ended up having to restore it which was a huge PITA. I wouldn't recommend it.
              Originally posted by 56482
              only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

modmyi.com is also a good forum to use when jailbreaking... I used Greenposi0n on my i4, here are a couple of screen shots.

I used a weather widget to get the animations for what the current local (to where I live) weather is doing. So if its cloudy I got clouds going across the screen, if its raining of course its raining on my screen with lightning striking on it.. It could probably look a little better but I like it..

*Edit*
                Damn, didn't realize those pics were gonna be so damn big... Sorry.

Comment

Weather widget.... in Cydia or app store?
                  Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                  There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...eme-cause.html

I use the xQuisite Animated Weather widget, it's available when you purchase xQuisite HD from Cydia, I modded the backgrounds and images to work with the Ezra theme which is also available in Cydia. The weather runs behind the wallpaper and the animations run under the icons.

The thread above helped me a lot as far as people answering questions to different issues I ran into while trying to set it up... Of course I didn't come into that thread until page 110 of it and I didn't bother reading each post. I just kind of skimmed through it seeing what fixes were out there since the release and also what people uploaded as far as changes go.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeAgainJen View Post
                      My 3G was jailbroken a couple of times using winterboard, but it made it very unstable. After the second time it crashed, I gave up. From what I understand, a 3G jailbreak is pretty unstable across the board, whereas a 3GS fares slightly better.
                      You used Winterboard to JB your phone??

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                        You used Winterboard to JB your phone??
                        i was wondering the same thing....
                        Originally posted by 56482
                        only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                          Maybe try it on another computer and see if it makes a difference? Honestly it sounds like maybe you are not hitting the button combination's "just right". I had to make several attempts on my iPad because the damn thing is ungainly and hard to to hold and hit the buttons just right. Anyway, just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                            Maybe try it on another computer and see if it makes a difference? Honestly it sounds like maybe you are not hitting the button combination's "just right". I had to make several attempts on my iPad because the damn thing is ungainly and hard to to hold and hit the buttons just right. Anyway, just a thought.

Yeah, I don't think there is a jailbreak for the 3g using 4.2.1. If you read greenpois0n's compatibility list, it doesn't show the 3g.
                            Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                              Yeah, I don't think there is a jailbreak for the 3g using 4.2.1. If you read greenpois0n's compatibility list, it doesn't show the 3g.
                              Ah... will that would make sense. I still think if he's having problems JB'ing the phone on one computer using whatever JB software he should try it on another computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X