WiFi on phone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFi on phone question

Finally got my EVO to connect with my modem here at home. Up until now I've had no problem connecting anywhere but at home. Lastnight I got it to connect but why is it that when I take my phone into the bedroom (far side of the house) my signal strength drops to almost nothing? I would say that at the very most, I'm about 60 ft from the modem. As long as I'm in the same room as the modem signal strength is excellent but if I have to be in the same room I might as well be on the computer.

TIA
    --carlos

sigpic

sounds like a issue with the router not be strong enough. Also could be something at your place causing interference.

Comment

relocate the router to the center of the house. But yea it sounds like something is blocking it or the router isn't very strong. I think our fireplace blocks our signal a bit.

Comment

Hmm, fireplace. Our fireplace is located halfway between here and there. My modem and CPU is located under the desk so that only the monitor sits on desk. Should I move modem onto the desk?
        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Ideally, it should be centrally located and elevated.

Comment

Well, centralizing it will be a problem since the computer is in the fam. room but I'll try to elevate it a bit.
            --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
              sounds like a issue with the router not be strong enough. Also could be something at your place causing interference.
              ok, I elevated the router/modem by about 4ft and no difference and centralizing the modem in the house is probably out of the question. what else can I do?
              --carlos

sigpic

Comment

buy another router and use it as a range extender?
                QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

huh, can you elaborate?
                  --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                    huh, can you elaborate?
                    Keep many Wi-Fi devices in your business streaming effortlessly with a wireless access point that delivers the reliability, range, and speed you require. Buy today at Newegg!

Comment

according to your second link I would need to run one in "repeater mode." am I correct in assuming that the new router/modem would get plugged into another phone jack in the house??
                      --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Negative, it would be somewhere between the current router and where you're having signal issues and would physically intercept the signal then really broadcast it thus providing you with a wireless signal of useable strength.

If you've bought a wireless repeater but aren't sure where to begin, this article will give you a clear direction on configuring and setting up a wireless repeater, regardless of the brand you purchased. Helping you understand how to set up a wireless repeater.

Extending and Repeating

First, let’s start out by talking about what a wireless repeater actually is, and then we’ll move on to configuring it to expand your network.

A wireless repeater is a cool little piece of hardware that can expand your network drastically without the need to use any kind of wiring or additional hardware. The way a repeater works is that it takes the signal being transmitted by the router and re-broadcasts it in the location the repeater is. In this way, you have the same signal traveling throughout the place you’re trying to hook up. Of course, the repeater has to rebroadcast at a higher power levelin order to maintain the signal as it travels a greater distance.

Personally, I don’t trust wireless repeaters as much as I do wired ones. The reason is simple – a wireless repeater takes a wireless, over-the-air signal (which is already degrading) and rebroadcasts it. As this is done, you’re losing signal integrity in two different places, rather than the single source that you were before.

Comment

ok I think I got it. thanks
                          --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X