My desktop shuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My desktop shuts off

Acer desktop, maybe 4 years old. It started doing this maybe once a month, and now I can't get an hour of use without it powering down. Swept for viruses, no change. Thought it was getting too hot, but it's got airflow and doesn't feel warm at all. Does it mostly if I try to play a video, but sometimes just surfing.

I'd like to think I can pull the bad part out and replace it. Can it be that simple? Is it the power supply? Is it worth fixing or should I just get a new computer?

Have you verified that the CPU heatsink isn't clogged with dust?

Comment

If its a 4 yr old Acer I would say replace it just because its old and probably not very fast..but thats just me. Try blowing all the dust out of it (and I do mean OPEN UP THE CASE) with compressed air, pull out the cards and reseat them. Could be any number of things....video card, memory, power supply, or even motherboard.

Comment

definitely blow the dust out of it... if that doesn't solve it, I'd replace the power supply
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Power supply or video card

Comment

Just a note and you may already know this, but when you blow the dust out, go from exhaust to intake and hold the fans still with a toothpick or something of the like. If they're allowed to spin via compressed air, it could damage the motor due to over revving.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              Just a note and you may already know this, but when you blow the dust out, go from exhaust to intake and hold the fans still with a toothpick or something of the like. If they're allowed to spin via compressed air, it could damage the motor due to over revving.
              Hell I use to do that just to see how fast I could get them!

Comment

I've seen hard drives cause this also, but usually the drive is making some noise and is about to take a shit. On a laptop, it's probably harder to hear.
                Vortex rear stand $75
                8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                11 4 door
                13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Working...
                X