Prometheus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
    The Predators considered the Xenomorphs as the ultimate prey. Due to their intelligence and cunning ability.

I watched it yesterday and can't really give a review; sensory overload. I need to watch it one more time to really grasp the whole movie. I will say, the cinematography was superb.
    Think the big guys were the Predators at one point?
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      Think the big guys were the Predators at one point?
      Nope. The Engineers created the xenomorphs in the comics and literature. This movie shows that they were not in fact created by them but from them. Now how the Predators came into contact with them I'm not sure. In the comics they have a hiveworld, I think; but the movies never explain how they came into contact with one another.
      Originally posted by talisman
      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
      Originally posted by AdamLX
      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      Because fuck you, that's why
      Originally posted by 80coupe
      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
      Originally posted by Rick Modena
      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Awesome movie. I hope they make another one.

This link seems to explain some bits of the movie. Good long read!

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comme..._and_analysed/
        Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

Anybody else curious about the preview for "The Life of Pi?" The 3D in that thing was pretty goddamned impressive. Had me twitching a few times with the flying fish and at first I was like "Is that a real tiger?"

"Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I was bored, soo i read that reddit link. and found this plausible explanation....

SPOILERS in white!

This is very late to the party, but please give it a read. My analysis of the slime:

The black slime is meant to deconstruct DNA. It takes it apart in order to create opportunities for new life. When it breaks DNA, that DNA can take on new forms (that's important). The first Engineer seen drinks the slime in order to spread his DNA throughout the planet, and be a gardener of life. Once the DNA is spread, it begins to form new life in a rapidly adapting state. Those forms are able to adapt so rapidly to ensure the successful spread of life, and can do so in the same way shown in the beginning of the movie.

The black slime kept in containers on LV-223 is a "weaponized" form of the slime; a quantity large enough to destroy a world's worth of DNA. It is used to erase creations that go awry. It is launched at a world and destroys all of the DNA contained on that world.

Holloway, upon infection, begins to break apart as the Engineer did, albeit slowly due to the tiny dose. As his DNA breaks down, he spreads it via insemination to Shaw. The broken-down DNA begins to rapidly adapt to its environment -- Shaw's womb.

This is why the slime reacts differently to different "host DNA". It is simply disassembled DNA being reconstructed. The mealworms become extremely strong snake-like creatures; Fifield doesn't ingest it, but its contact with him changes him drastically.

The slime that occupies Shaw's womb is simply the progenitor to the Xenomorph. The lifeform that is created by the slime's reaction with Holloway's DNA is one that is near the pinnacle of life's many forms -- in Bishop's words, "The perfect organism." It is a form that can reproduce using a host to evolve rapidly, absorbing traits in the host DNA.

TL;DR: the slime deconstructs DNA so it can reconstruct new lifeforms, and Shaw is impregnated with the result of one of these breakdowns. This resulting lifeform is the progenitor of the Xenomorph.

My analysis of why the Engineers had meant to destroy Earth's life and how it led to the events in Prometheus:

The Engineers spread and monitored life. They wished to spread life, for whatever reason. Once that life was spread, they watched the lifeform and attempted to guide their development.

On Earth, an Engineer sacrificed himself to sow his DNA as a seed throughout the "gardens" of the galaxies. This DNA eventually took the form of humans.

Throughout our development, they visited Earth to guide us. On those visits, they directed primitive man to a solar system where we might contact the Engineers.

In that solar system, the Engineers terraformed a moon for us to travel to. Once there, we might contact them.

Around 2000 years ago, human civilization became much less civilized. Ridley Scott chose not to use the crucifixion of Jesus as the catalyst, but something more like the rise of Rome and other empires/violent civilizations like it spurred the Engineers to decide that we were not fit to exist any longer. The human experiment was to be terminated -- the garden had too many weeds.

To eliminate us, they created a biological weapon using the DNA-destroying black slime that they used for gardening. They created this stockpile on a forward base as they knew it was dangerous and even threatened them as a species. They used the planet they had directed us to; I think this was because that base was the one assigned to monitor Earth and humankind.

They planned to drop this stockpile onto Earth to destroy mankind, but allow life to continue. The garden would be uprooted and new seeds would be sown.

Something triggered the stockpile -- perhaps something happened to an Engineer in the manufacturing process. Remember, all of the hologram Engineers were running out of the stockpile room. At the entrance to that room were multiple suits. I think that, upon entering the room, they would don their suits to avoid exposure to the slime. Something triggered the stockpile to rupture or overwhelm their suits.

The rupture caused the Engineers to run. None of them were able to escape the slime. As shown in the hologram, one made it fairly far away, but died. When he died, he collapsed onto the ground. When Shaw removed his helmet, it was clear that he had the DNA-destroying slime in his veins.

The lone surviving Engineer lived because he was in cryostasis. He was in that state in preparation for the journey to Earth. The stockpile ruptured as they made preparations to leave. Hence the Engineers running from the ship in full flight gear.

When Weyland wakes the Engineer, he awakens to find the creation he had set out to destroy. That creation asks him to preserve his already unnaturally long life. It was this hubris that had necessitated humanity's destruction, so he tries to complete his mission.

He first looks and smiles at David, seems to caress him, and then destroys him. I believe this is because he recognized David as humanity's feeble attempt to create life -- they could only manage an imitation. This seems almost touching to the Engineer. The apple, it would seem, does not fall far from the tree; humanity unwittingly followed in the Engineers' footsteps.

The Engineer kills the present crew and begins to set out for Earth. Not only was his mission 2000 years delayed, but the problem had compounded itself immensely. Not only had humans become self-centered and full of hubris, but they had actually sought out their creators to ask them for more than the life they had been given.

TL;DR: mankind was created as an experiment, but humanity became prideful and undeserving of the life they had been granted. The Engineers developed a weaponized form of their DNA-seeding material, and meant to use it to "reseed" Earth. In their effort, something went wrong and they were themselves affected by the weapon.
            Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
              Anybody else curious about the preview for "The Life of Pi?" The 3D in that thing was pretty goddamned impressive. Had me twitching a few times with the flying fish and at first I was like "Is that a real tiger?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454876/
              I was confused as hell by that
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Saw it. Good movie. But was kinda bumbed . Thought there was gonna be more to the xenomorphs. But turns out they are an accidental fluke. Oh well. Guess I should read the comics to get a better back story.

Angry Panda Poon Rawrrrrrr!!!
                Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
                  Saw it. Good movie. But was kinda bumbed . Thought there was gonna be more to the xenomorphs. But turns out they are an accidental fluke. Oh well. Guess I should read the comics to get a better back story.

If you looked up any interviews, or read my thread that was locked or this thread, with Ridley Scott you would've known this movie was not going to be heavily filled with xenomorphs.
                  Last edited by idrivea4banger; 06-11-2012, 12:00 AM.
                  I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                  If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                    Just left it. I liked it.... a lot. There had better be a sequel because I'd like to know

White text spoiler alert

Why the Engineers (our ancestors) were/are trying to kill us. As well as why they were using the other Aliens to do it, as well as what went wrong and fucked up their plans.
                    They wasn't using aliens to do it. It was basically a bio weapon that was to be used to exterminate humans. As far as what happened. I'm thinking one of the engineers got infected and they was try to cut bait and run. The aliens was just a fluke cause by the dang android feeding the black goo the one of the crew to see what would happen. In turn he got his chic prego . That turned into super face hugger. That thing seeded the engineer. The xenomorph was the outcome. From my knowledge xenos are asexual. Not needing to have sex to breed. First xeno laid the eggs that was found in the first aliens. The current xeno is a product of mixing with human DNA .

Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
                      They wasn't using aliens to do it. It was basically a bio weapon that was to be used to exterminate humans. As far as what happened. I'm thinking one of the engineers got infected and they was try to cut bait and run. The aliens was just a fluke cause by the dang android feeding the black goo the one of the crew to see what would happen. In turn he got his chic prego . That turned into super face hugger. That thing seeded the engineer. The xenomorph was the outcome. From my knowledge xenos are asexual. Not needing to have sex to breed. First xeno laid the eggs that was found in the first aliens. The current xeno is a product of mixing with human DNA .

David got Shaw's boyfriend infected because at the time Weyland was under the impression that all the engineers were dead. David even said " I will do what it takes" when he was shown taking to Weyland in his pod. David had no choice, based on his programming, but to see if he could replicate an engineer using a human. You are right on one point, the engineers did encounter a xenomorph. When the crew got into the chamber, on the wall it looked like a mural was created showing the xenomorph; a warning from the engineers to possibly other engineers. They only got infected when they tried to terraform the place, the worms they showed swimming in the goo were probably what created the xenomorphs when they attacked the engineers in the early stages of their bio-engineering.

Comment

About the worms. You saw the worms on the ground when they walk into that holding chamber. They came in contact with the black goo. It showed them in the stuff at one point. I think that's where the bigger worms came from. Yes I saw the xeno on the wall. I don't think even the engineers knew how the came about.

Comment

Btw, they were on lv-423 not lv-426 as in alien. So this did not take place on the same planet as Alien.

The mural had to have been created by the only engineer survivor that was in the pod as to warn others what the canisters in the room created.

Comment

Originally posted by Bputacoma View Post
                            I was bored, soo i read that reddit link. and found this plausible explanation....

SPOILERS in white!

This is very late to the party, but please give it a read. My analysis of the slime:

The black slime is meant to deconstruct DNA. It takes it apart in order to create opportunities for new life. When it breaks DNA, that DNA can take on new forms (that's important). The first Engineer seen drinks the slime in order to spread his DNA throughout the planet, and be a gardener of life. Once the DNA is spread, it begins to form new life in a rapidly adapting state. Those forms are able to adapt so rapidly to ensure the successful spread of life, and can do so in the same way shown in the beginning of the movie.

The black slime kept in containers on LV-223 is a "weaponized" form of the slime; a quantity large enough to destroy a world's worth of DNA. It is used to erase creations that go awry. It is launched at a world and destroys all of the DNA contained on that world.

Holloway, upon infection, begins to break apart as the Engineer did, albeit slowly due to the tiny dose. As his DNA breaks down, he spreads it via insemination to Shaw. The broken-down DNA begins to rapidly adapt to its environment -- Shaw's womb.

This is why the slime reacts differently to different "host DNA". It is simply disassembled DNA being reconstructed. The mealworms become extremely strong snake-like creatures; Fifield doesn't ingest it, but its contact with him changes him drastically.

The slime that occupies Shaw's womb is simply the progenitor to the Xenomorph. The lifeform that is created by the slime's reaction with Holloway's DNA is one that is near the pinnacle of life's many forms -- in Bishop's words, "The perfect organism." It is a form that can reproduce using a host to evolve rapidly, absorbing traits in the host DNA.

TL;DR: the slime deconstructs DNA so it can reconstruct new lifeforms, and Shaw is impregnated with the result of one of these breakdowns. This resulting lifeform is the progenitor of the Xenomorph.

My analysis of why the Engineers had meant to destroy Earth's life and how it led to the events in Prometheus:

The Engineers spread and monitored life. They wished to spread life, for whatever reason. Once that life was spread, they watched the lifeform and attempted to guide their development.

On Earth, an Engineer sacrificed himself to sow his DNA as a seed throughout the "gardens" of the galaxies. This DNA eventually took the form of humans.

Throughout our development, they visited Earth to guide us. On those visits, they directed primitive man to a solar system where we might contact the Engineers.

In that solar system, the Engineers terraformed a moon for us to travel to. Once there, we might contact them.

Around 2000 years ago, human civilization became much less civilized. Ridley Scott chose not to use the crucifixion of Jesus as the catalyst, but something more like the rise of Rome and other empires/violent civilizations like it spurred the Engineers to decide that we were not fit to exist any longer. The human experiment was to be terminated -- the garden had too many weeds.

To eliminate us, they created a biological weapon using the DNA-destroying black slime that they used for gardening. They created this stockpile on a forward base as they knew it was dangerous and even threatened them as a species. They used the planet they had directed us to; I think this was because that base was the one assigned to monitor Earth and humankind.

They planned to drop this stockpile onto Earth to destroy mankind, but allow life to continue. The garden would be uprooted and new seeds would be sown.

Something triggered the stockpile -- perhaps something happened to an Engineer in the manufacturing process. Remember, all of the hologram Engineers were running out of the stockpile room. At the entrance to that room were multiple suits. I think that, upon entering the room, they would don their suits to avoid exposure to the slime. Something triggered the stockpile to rupture or overwhelm their suits.

The rupture caused the Engineers to run. None of them were able to escape the slime. As shown in the hologram, one made it fairly far away, but died. When he died, he collapsed onto the ground. When Shaw removed his helmet, it was clear that he had the DNA-destroying slime in his veins.

The lone surviving Engineer lived because he was in cryostasis. He was in that state in preparation for the journey to Earth. The stockpile ruptured as they made preparations to leave. Hence the Engineers running from the ship in full flight gear.

When Weyland wakes the Engineer, he awakens to find the creation he had set out to destroy. That creation asks him to preserve his already unnaturally long life. It was this hubris that had necessitated humanity's destruction, so he tries to complete his mission.

He first looks and smiles at David, seems to caress him, and then destroys him. I believe this is because he recognized David as humanity's feeble attempt to create life -- they could only manage an imitation. This seems almost touching to the Engineer. The apple, it would seem, does not fall far from the tree; humanity unwittingly followed in the Engineers' footsteps.

The Engineer kills the present crew and begins to set out for Earth. Not only was his mission 2000 years delayed, but the problem had compounded itself immensely. Not only had humans become self-centered and full of hubris, but they had actually sought out their creators to ask them for more than the life they had been given.

TL;DR: mankind was created as an experiment, but humanity became prideful and undeserving of the life they had been granted. The Engineers developed a weaponized form of their DNA-seeding material, and meant to use it to "reseed" Earth. In their effort, something went wrong and they were themselves affected by the weapon.
                            Well this pretty much sums it. But that still doesn't explain the xenomorph on the wall. What and where are they from? I first figured they was a product of an accident with the bio weapon. Wich I still think . You see meal worms crawling into the goo. That's how they got bigger and took out that one guy. Maybe the xenos are a biproduct of the weapon mixing with the engineers DNA .

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                              Btw, they were on lv-423 not lv-426 as in alien. So this did not take place on the same planet as Alien.

The mural had to have been created by the only engineer survivor that was in the pod as to warn others what the canisters in the room created.
                              How did you like the movie? Perhaps it wasn't meant to be a mural but a label by the "government" the engineers worked for? Like an advanced bio-hazard symbol?
                              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

What the hell is a xenomorph?

I've never seen the Alien movies i'm just trying to get a picture of what y'all are talking about

Comment

Working...
                                X