Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die Hard 6: Die Hardest

Oh dear.

Based on our 2-star review of A Good Day to Die Hard, it’s clear that (in our opinion) the franchise is running on fumes. Domestically, the movie was something of a flop ($67 million on a $90+ million budget), but international earnings were huge ($235 million), meaning that Fox (which, like many other studios, is showing greater favor to the international market) has good incentive to move forward with the sixth film.

Well, today comes word that Die Hard 6 is at least moving into the pre-production phase. The next installment apparently has the working title of Die Hardest, and we have reports about the screenwriter who has been tapped to pen the film, as well as some early plot details.

Total Film has the exclusive about Die Hardest, which is apparently being scripted by Ben Trebilcook. If the name is unfamiliar: Trebilcook is currently working on a martial-arts-meets-video games movie called Knockout, and the producer of that film tapped the relatively untested young filmmaker to write Die Hard 6.

The plot details we know so far are that Die Hardest will once again take place predominately overseas – shifting from NYC to Tokyo. This would mean that John McClane (Bruce Willis) would get a chance to kill bad guys of a whole new nationality – while still leaving room for him to crack many America-centric jokes, as well as making crass cultural observations like how Japanese dudes can’t take a punch, or how some femme fatale isn’t acting like a proper little Geisha. You know the drill by now.

Things are only in the script treatment stage at the moment, which leaves the studio plenty of room to scrap the project at low cost, should they fail to convince Willis and franchise producer Alex Young to sign off. For his part, however, Trebilcook seems hopeful that his work will be up to par:

It is extremely faithful to the franchise and characters and is a natural progression. It’s also a very plausible storyline… [There's] the possibility producers might go back and find some other source material to base the next one on, like they did with the first and second. Mine though, I feel it could be the Rocky Balboa of the Die Hard franchise.

…Hopefully that Rocky Balboa reference means that he’s writing the closing chapter to this worn out story (ZING!).

Would you like to see John McClane take on Tokyo? Or is it time for this entire franchise to just go ahead and ‘Die Hard?’

1st
    "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Bruce was just bitching that he found action movies boring, and that was supposedly one of the reason he pulled out of expendables 3. Stallone stated bruce was asking for way too much money

Comment

Oh here we go. Another movie to ruin the franchise even further. Just let it go. Make a new series of movies!

Comment

Die hard 8 escape from the nursing home.
          "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

At this point, I don't know why Steve Guttenberg hasn't launched a kickstarter to fund another Police Academy movie.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
              At this point, I don't know why Steve Guttenberg hasn't launched a kickstarter to fund another Police Academy movie.
              he wasn't in the last couple academy movies fyi

Comment

Originally posted by Country cracker View Post
                Die hard 8 escape from the nursing home.
                Die Hard 14: Will this fucker ever Die?!!

Comment

If he were alive today...

Originally posted by Ronald Reagan
                  Actually, a government bureau and die hard are the nearest things to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                    At least those were entertaining.

Comment

Die Hard 7: Die harderer
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I hope that script dies in a tire fire.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Die Hard 1: best out of series
                          Die Hard 2: good
                          De Hard 3: bad
                          Die Hard 4 : good
                          Die Hard 5: horrible

You have 3 out of 5 in the series that were at least OK; why push your luck? I don't see part 6 being good, and I like most of what Bruce Willis does. Quit beating a dead horse.
                          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                            Die Hard 1: best out of series
                            Die Hard 2: good
                            De Hard 3: bad
                            Die Hard 4 : good
                            Die Hard 5: horrible

Agreed.

Comment

3 is good, 4 is OK.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!