No announcement yet.

Interstellar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty good flick. Extremely interesting, but way, way far "out there". But they don't even try to keep it believable, imo, and they commit full force to making it insanely and ridiculously far out. Just when you think you're on the edge of it becoming silly, they take it ten steps beyond that. And that's when it becomes okay and even cool for being so far out there. So I dig that. Forget making too much sense of it and just enjoy the show. It's not like anything else and it's not going to be what you expect. It's too long, although never really slow. The acting was good with a hint of cheese at times.

It's worth seeing. It is definitely light years better than gravity.

Comment

My expectations were WAY off, which is why I don't think I liked it much. I was expecting something visually awesome, like Avatar. But even more so, because they were visiting three planets. But what we got was a planet of ice and a planet of water, and even that was minimal. It was really all about human relations and the journey, not the destination.

There was so much potential do something really cool with three different planets, and everything that lives on a planet. But instead it was mostly about a farmer and his daughter. Boo!

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
        My expectations were WAY off, which is why I don't think I liked it much. I was expecting something visually awesome, like Avatar. But even more so, because they were visiting three planets. But what we got was a planet of ice and a planet of water, and even that was minimal. It was really all about human relations and the journey, not the destination.

There was so much potential do something really cool with three different planets, and everything that lives on a planet. But instead it was mostly about a farmer and his daughter. Boo!
        If they wanted to make it more about the planets, it would have been 12 hours long, and could have been split into four or five movies. And really, the fact that those planets were just ice and water is very important to the story. But ya, it definitely was about the journey and the humans and not the destination. That wasn't really a surprise to me after watching the trailers.

Comment

Finally saw this tonight. Just wow. Blown away, and really happy I read A Brief History of Time from Stephen Hawking a few months back. Incredible and thought provoking film on many levels, that cater right to my interests and dreams. Can't wait to see it again, I haven't walked away from a movie that impressed in a long time.

Comment

Finally watched this.

Holy shit. Loved it on so many levels.

The physics of it was real; that alone impressed me. Using accurate time dilation as a major part of the plot was awesome. I'll be watching it again after doing some reading today:
            When they arrive on Miller (the water planet), this track starts to play. A prominent feature of the track is a constant ticking.

I just timed 60 seconds of the track, and there were 48 'ticks'. So, each 'tick' interval is 1.25 seconds.

"Every hour on Miller is about 7 years on Earth" There are 3600 seconds in an hour, and (86400 x 365.25 x 7) or roughly 221,000,000 seconds in 7 years, giving us a conversion factor of 221,000,000/3600 ≈ 61400 seconds which pass on Earth for every second spent on Miller.

Times this by the interval between each 'tick', and you get 77000 Earth-seconds, about 21 hours.

So, each 'tick' you hear is a whole day passing on Earth.
            And on that note, Zimmer's soundtrack was surreal.

Hans Zimmer - making of INTERSTELLAR Soundtrack
            He started writing the music with just one page of "some dialogue written for the film mixed with some ideas" from Nolan. He did not even know it was a science fiction film when he started composing... and the organ is powerful as hell.

Combine all of that with the visuals which were, as referenced in the article above, some of the most scientifically accurate representations of these cosmological concepts ever produced.

Incredible.

Comment

Love the movie but still find this funny.

Comment

^^^
                lmao!
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Now I have to watch it. Honest trailer is hilarious
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

LMFAO @ the red shirts, and the world's smartest man that doesn't understand how an airlock works.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                    X