Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
      I'll take flying cod pieces and fake Mandarin over Ant-Man "shrinks but retains his entire mass when it's convenient, except when he doesn't, because it's convenient the other way," like when he's making craters in asphalt but being able to run on a turntable or ride on an ant.
      I see where you're coming from with this, but Ant-Man physics (for me anyway) falls under the one "magic bean" a story is allowed.
      A Willing Suspension of Disbelief is a must for every work of fiction. There are certain elements of story or gameplay where realism would simply make a work tedious, difficult, or confusing for the audience. Thus there are ways in which works …

In Ant-Man, the magic bean is that he can change his size and have super strength relative to that size, and some associated mass/weight stuff that goes with it. Not good hard science, but that's all under that one pill you have to swallow.

For Iron Man, the magic bean is that Tony Stark is a genius industrialist who's discoveries include the arc reactor and can design tech that takes advantage of that. I suppose that the "flying codpiece" could fall under that heading, but it stretches it too far for me. The Iron Man suit overcomes aerodynamic hurdles with 4 repulsor "jets" and some seriously stout computer tech. So is the codpiece by itself not only equipped with a power source that can propel it for hundreds of miles, it's own small repulsors, and the computer guidance/navigation necessary to fly it states away?

I guess, but it still elicited a face palm from me in a way that Ant-Man never did.

Comment

Damn, going to have to think on this. Guardians is top 3 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          You should NEVER question the creative greatness of Stan Lee, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby. They knew what they were doing 50 years ago.

I mean, we are talking about a shrinking man for gods sake.
          Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
          I see where you're coming from with this, but Ant-Man physics (for me anyway) falls under the one "magic bean" a story is allowed.
          A Willing Suspension of Disbelief is a must for every work of fiction. There are certain elements of story or gameplay where realism would simply make a work tedious, difficult, or confusing for the audience. Thus there are ways in which works …

In Ant-Man, the magic bean is that he can change his size and have super strength relative to that size, and some associated mass/weight stuff that goes with it. Not good hard science, but that's all under that one pill you have to swallow.

For Iron Man, the magic bean is that Tony Stark is a genius industrialist who's discoveries include the arc reactor and can design tech that takes advantage of that. I suppose that the "flying codpiece" could fall under that heading, but it stretches it too far for me. The Iron Man suit overcomes aerodynamic hurdles with 4 repulsor "jets" and some seriously stout computer tech. So is the codpiece by itself not only equipped with a power source that can propel it for hundreds of miles, it's own small repulsors, and the computer guidance/navigation necessary to fly it states away?

I guess, but it still elicited a face palm from me in a way that Ant-Man never did.
          I can handle the magic bean/break from reality stuff. My issue is the inconsistency in the "facts" they made up, and Ant-Man had so much more than any other movie.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
            I can handle the magic bean/break from reality stuff. My issue is the inconsistency in the "facts" they made up, and Ant-Man had so much more than any other movie.
            Fair enough. I'd have to watch it again to take an informed position beyond the fact that it didn't take me out of the movie when I saw it.

Comment

God damn comic book movies and not being realistic!
              sigpic

Comment

I forgot The Incredible Hulk was actually MCU....

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                  I forgot The Incredible Hulk was actually MCU....
                  I was surprised they kept the actor for 'ol Thunderbolt Ross and had him in Civil War playing the same role.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                    I was surprised they kept the actor for 'ol Thunderbolt Ross and had him in Civil War playing the same role.
                    Me too. Pretty cool. All things considered, they've done a great job of keeping actors and continuity straight.

Comment

I guess I would be in the minority. I would have to put Guardians in the bottom part of a list. While it was enjoyable flick, it was not overwhelming good to me. I have little interest to rewatch as say Avengers or Winter solider.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
                        I guess I would be in the minority. I would have to put Guardians in the bottom part of a list. While it was enjoyable flick, it was not overwhelming good to me. I have little interest to rewatch as say Avengers or Winter solider.
                        That's cuz yur stoopid.

Comment

Working...
                        X