Netflix Original: Bill Nye Saves The Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
    It's the greatest threat of our lifetime. I saw it on CNN.
    Our military better be prepared, global warming is what motivates terrorists.

Comment

• Saw a train load of tanks headed south today.

They must be going to fight that global warming!!11!1

Comment

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
        Your boy disagrees:

No fear mongering there! It would be interesting to know what everyone who thinks this way in this tread are doing to reduce their own carbon footprint. Imagine if all the car enthusiast, conscientious heroes would sell their big V8 cars for four cylinder vehicles. That would surely make a difference!
        Again, you believe a book that says if we don't believe in magic that we burn for all eternity and that the devil will come to earth blah blah blah.
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
          The planet earth is a gigantic ball of molten rock of which we live on the cooled crust. It's about 4.5 billion years old and has supported life of some sort for 3 billion or so years.

Around 70 million years ago there was a mass extinction event that killed off nearly every living thing. Some birds and fish survived along with a few plants but 80% of everything else went extinct. This was the 5th major event of it's kind that we know of.

Modern humans may date back as far as 2 million years with cognitive abilities being developed around 50k years ago. Humans started writing around 6k years ago. The industrial revolution was around 250 years ago.

So in 250 years humans have caused global warming and are dooming the planet? What caused the previous 5 mass extinction events? Never mind that our sun is actively expanding and will consume our planet at some point in the future. We can't possibly predict when that will happen or what life will be like during that time but go ahead and buy those carbon offsets and pay extra for wind/solar power because it's probably your fault.
          Look at the planet now, then look at it 250 years ago. How many cars, factories, and just humans in general were there?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
            Again, you believe a book that says if we don't believe in magic that we burn for all eternity and that the devil will come to earth blah blah blah.
            I'm with you on this.

Comment

What I believe doesn't negate the question of what it is you're doing to make a difference.

Comment

What I believe doesn't negate the question of what it is you're doing to make a difference.
                I'm sorry I didn't answer a question that was never asked.

What am I personally doing? Nothing really. I mean, I started using a reel mower instead of gas but that was more out of curiosity than caring.

I'm not an activist but it irks me that people deny a probale truth because they prefer to think that the world is an inherently good place and that it's all a part of some made up see-it-know-it-alls plan.

Comment

... a probale truth...
                  Exactly. You are whining about my carefree attitude, but you are doing nothing more than regurgitating "a probable truth..." I'm ready to be judged.

Comment

Almost as magic as a mysterious singularity manifesting itself out of nothing to begat the Big Bang. Maybe this singularity resembled Mickey Mouse wearing a wizard cap and waving a magic wand spreading fairy dust.

Comment

• But something happening out of nothing to create something is settled science.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                        Almost as magic as a mysterious singularity manifesting itself out of nothing to begat the Big Bang. Maybe this singularity resembled Mickey Mouse wearing a wizard cap and waving a magic wand spreading fairy dust.
                        Do you notice how the big bang is still considered a theory since people are still open to new information and ideas? Not just God did it, case closed, you're a pussy and are gonna burn in an imaginary lake of fire for all time if you don't agree.

Comment

Exactly. You are whining about my carefree attitude, but you are doing nothing more than regurgitating "a probable truth..." I'm ready to be judged.
                          You're being judged. Just not by Santa Clause in a robe and sandles.

Comment

• Fascinating. You have zero idea how life was created, yet you know for sure there is no God who took part in it because...?

Comment

• even if there is a god, the narrative you believe is made up, for fact.
                              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

But something happening out of nothing to create something is settled science.
                                I think a lot of people, even some scientists, are open to the concept of devine motivation for the Big Bang. It's the talking snake/magic apple type of stuff that's tough to handle.

Comment

Working...
                                X