Netflix Original: Bill Nye Saves The Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
    Tell me this then, how did this move HELP our relationships? Because it did one or the other...
    Why does it have to help or hurt?

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
      Why does it have to help or hurt?
      Do you have to read past this thread to know that people care about this issue one way or another? Germany for one is investing heavily into the environment. We share one Earth. It's a punch in the face.
      2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

Do you have to read past this thread to know that people care about this issue one way or another? Germany for one is investing heavily into the environment. We share one Earth. It's a punch in the face.
        Germany is 1/10th the population of America and 1/2 the size of Texas. Why do I care what Germany does?

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
          Germany is 1/10th the population of America and 1/2 the size of Texas. Why do I care what Germany does?
          I see you repeatedly can't get past one citation in a larger post.

Comment

• Musk is getting out of it because it may cost him millions if not billions, his companies are heavily subsidized.

I worked on a few projects with large solar companies and they told me without being subsidized heavily they cannot compete, probably will not until 2025-2035. With oil and coal so cheap it is not economically feasible to keep using it. Like Austin with its solar credits, after giving credits for solar panels they are running a deficit.

I am all for running more efficient systems but the technology is not there right now. China can say they are reducing pollution but until they let private regulators in there I do not believe a word of what they say.

You do realize the Paris accord was voluntary the whole time right? You could say you were going to reduce pollution by 30% and if you increased it 30% nothing would happen. The whole thing was a scam

Comment

• Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
              You do realize the Paris accord was voluntary the whole time right? You could say you were going to reduce pollution by 30% and if you increased it 30% nothing would happen. The whole thing was a scam
              So why quit instead of negotiate it for the better? (A. because Trump is incapable of talking Scientific issues and B. He doesn't care)

Comment

• Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
                Musk is getting out of it because it may cost him millions if not billions, his companies are heavily subsidized.

I worked on a few projects with large solar companies and they told me without being subsidized heavily they cannot compete, probably will not until 2025-2035. With oil and coal so cheap it is not economically feasible to keep using it. Like Austin with its solar credits, after giving credits for solar panels they are running a deficit...
                My company got out of it last year for similar reasons. In fact, we were just talking about it the other day and the statement was made that 'Nobody is really making money on solar'.. It's a shell game meant to make people feel good.

Comment

• arent you (the end user) saving money with it though?
                  THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    My company got out of it last year for similar reasons. In fact, we were just talking about it the other day and the statement was made that 'Nobody is really making money on solar'.. It's a shell game meant to make people feel good.
                    It's a good thing we have other innovators who will reduce the cost through new technology, production techniques, and other methods (like reusing rockets can do for space). It may not be ready today, but someday it will.

Comment

Your deflecting the entire thread to try to prove him wrong. We just quit our seat at a table with 200 other countries. We're now among 2 others that don't have a seat. Your the anti-social kid sitting in the corner while everyone else works on a project together. Not to mention that a large majority of the world believes in protecting the planet & climate issues, and we just issued a big fat "we don't care".
                      It's not that we "dont have" a seat, it's that we don't want to sit. Big difference. Not being invited and choosing to not go are different things. And it sounds like you're saying the buy-in to sit at the table should not be the same for everyone, and we are somehow morally liable to commit to orders of magnitude more work and cost than the majority of others... just to sit at the table? Are they really working together on a project while I (the US) sit in a corner?

Back to that American guilt thing, why in the hell do we need to do that?

BTW, Trump also said:
                      We are getting out, but we will start to negotiate and we will see if we can make a deal... and if we can’t that’s fine.
                      He’s not giving up on the issue, he’s avoiding tying our hands behind our backs (economically speaking).

Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
                      Tell me this then, how did this move HELP our relationships? Because it did one or the other...
                      We never ratified Kyoto. Did our relationships with those countries fall apart? Did we lose influence? This is not the first time they’ve tried to force this on everyone.

Originally posted by mschmoyer
                      Finally, your problem might be with the word "relationship". "Influence" might be better. We'll simply start falling behind in research, education, discoveries, space, etc. Step 1: say you don't care. Step 2: everyone starts acting it out.
                      Why would we start falling behind? California has, on its own, outside of any federal regulation or international agreement, accelerated their clean energy plan.
                      In the energy industry, as California goes, so goes the rest of the nation. CARB : EPA :: CA emissions laws : 49 other states’ emissions laws
                      Do you think they’ll roll that back? Do you think that other western states who follow CA closely will suddenly not care about their own laws? Do you think that private money like Anschutz will stop investing hundreds of millions into wind and other renewables? Just because there’s not a federal mandate does not mean things are not changing for the better.

I feel like you think I’m against you – I’m not. I’m against the federal government dictating what the solution should be.

BTW, did anyone bitch this much when Canada withdrew from the Kyoto Protocol?
                      They say they withdrew because, “The Kyoto protocol does not cover the world's largest two emitters, the United States and China, and therefore cannot work.” Apply the same logic to CO2 emission per capita, and why the hell should all of those middle eastern countries not do their part? Why do they get a pass? Why are people pissed off when we decide it’s not fair that the US reduce emissions ?

Of course, the less talked about other reason is that Canada wasn’t going to meet it’s “goals” and it was going to cost them $14 billion…
                      Wait, what? It didn’t make sense economically, other countries weren’t doing their part and pulling their weight, so a large developed nation backed out? But, but but…

Why was the Paris Accord not put before Congress? Why was there no vote on whether or not we would participate? Any other treaty in the land must be ratified... what was so different about this one? It’s well known that the US agreed to the Kyoto Protocol, but we never ratified it so technically we weren’t part it it. Where is the consistency in all of this? What’s the real end-game?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                          Long Post...(saving space)
                          I'm happy corporations, cities, mayors are all "defying" our pulling out and going at it themselves. I'd rather America had a unified voice, but if we have to skip the feds to do it, then whatever works. That doesn't change that I disagree, and therefore won't vote for a president who works against innovation in the name of some $$$.

Don't underestimate the folks running around using us pulling out of this as evidence that all scientific results are conspiracies and climate change is false. Companies selling solar panels, electric cars, and other clean energy just got a crap ton of uncertainty put on their futures. That's what puts us behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by cyclonescott View Post
                            thats the guy you wanna identify with?
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Companies selling solar panels, electric cars, and other clean energy just got a crap ton of uncertainty put on their futures. That's what puts us behind.

and really thats the bottom line. the only one still arguing a point is the guy with his entire life sank into the oil industry, so it makes sense that he would stand for this.
                              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• and what ever happened to the jesus freak? did he see the thing about man evolving in europe and jump out off a balcony?
                                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Working...
                                X