Netflix Original: Bill Nye Saves The Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mschmoyer
    So I get that your hyper-analyzing some of the minute details of his episode, but what about the overarching point?
    Originally posted by mschmoyer
    Do you disagree humans are affecting the climate? And ultimately, regardless of when or how much, enough of this can cause issues down the road?

Yes, it can and will affect things down the road. Yes, humans have some impact on the climate – that’s how things work. Nothing happens in a vacuum. To what extent though are humans to blame though? Why are people looked at as weirdo conspiracy theorists for wanting more proof that to back up the claims that we're destroying the planet?

What if our impact is negligible, and the temp rise is caused by something else? What if a natural rise in temp is causing CO2 rise, and human activity has nothing to do with CO2 rise (eg. CO2 release from the oceans that are orders of magnitude larger than any anthropogenic source)? What if we go down the wrong rabbit hole because we didn’t fully understand the problem at hand and lose our one shot at doing the right thing?

The overarching point is that temperatures are rising. I get that. Yes, humans are impacting the climate – it’s impossible not to. But by assigning all the blame for a problem directly to humans you open the door to the punishment of humans. Is the science “settled” about temp rise being anthropogenic? In physics it takes 6-sigma confidence (99.99966%) in the data analysis to call something confirmed (eg. The Higgs Boson). In other sciences 5-sigma (99.7%) is acceptable (P = 0.05)

Scientists use p-values to test the likelihood of hypotheses. In an experiment comparing some phenomenon A to phenomenon B, researchers construct two hypotheses: that "A and B are not correlated," which is known as the null hypothesis, and that “A and B are correlated,” which is known as the research hypothesis.

The researchers then assume the null hypothesis (because it's the most conservative supposition, intellectually) and calculate the probability of obtaining data as extreme or more extreme than what they observed, given that there is no relationship between A and B. This calculation, which yields the p-value, can be based on any of several different statistical tests. If the p-value is low, for example 0.01, this means that there is only a small chance (one percent for p=0.01) that the data would have been observed by chance without the correlation. Usually there is a pre-established threshold in a field of study for rejecting the null hypothesis and claiming that A and B are correlated. Values of p=0.05 and p=0.01 are very common in many scientific disciplines.

Dong a quick search the only climate change data I see that has that that [undocumented] "confidence level" was from the IPCC a few years ago and they said this:

"Most of the observed increase in global average temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely [90 percent confidence] due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations
    Then in 2013 it was:
    "It is extremely likely [95 percent confidence] more than half of the observed increase in global average surface temperature from 1951 to 2010 was caused by the anthropogenic increase in greenhouse gas concentrations and other anthropogenic forcings together."
    So the summaries went from
    90% = “Most”
    95% = “More than half” (2 sigma)

So,you'd think there would be some easily anayzable and repeatable data to back that up.

In the paper's “Summary for Policy Makers” (no agenda there, right? Here's the entire 375mb / 1552 page report) they very explicitly state:
    An integral element of this report is the use of uncertainty language that permits a traceable account of the assessment (Box TS.1). The degree of certainty in key findings in this assessment is based on the author teams’ evaluations of underlying scientific understanding and is expressed as a level of confidence that results from the type, amount, quality and consistency of evidence and the degree of agreement in the scientific studies considered. Confidence is expressed qualitatively. Quantified measures of uncertainty in a finding are expressed probabilistically and are based on a combination of statistical analyses of observations or model results, or both, and expert judgement. Where appropriate, findings are also formulated as statements of fact without using uncertainty qualifier
    So they say their results have human “judgement” built in.
    Sounds a bit bullshitty, eh? If I told you we’re 95% sure that humans have no real impact on global temps, but then had that paragraph in my paper, would you still believe me?

From a dissenting scientist:
    In defense of five standard deviations

There’s 32% risk that the deviation from the central value exceeds 1 standard deviation (in either direction), 5% risk that it exceeds 2 standard deviations, 0.27% that it exceeds 3 standard deviations, 0.0063% that it exceeds 4 standard deviations, and 0.000057% which is about 1 part in 1.7 million that it exceeds five standard deviation.

Global climate models have strayed so far from hard science that ALL model projections from 1979 exceed recent temperatures. Furthermore, the model means are now OUTSIDE the two sigma 95% level.
    If the standard were 2 sigma, particle physics would start to resemble soft sciences such as medical research or climatology and particle physicists would melt into stinky decaying jellyfish, too. (This isn’t meant to be an insulting comparison of climatology to other scientific disciplines because this comparison can’t be made at all; a more relevant comparison is the comparison of AGW to other religions and psychiatric diseases.)
    AGW = anthropogenic global warming

So why do we have to rely on a “consensus of scientists”, each of whom wrote separate papers and have their own personal agendas, good or bad, when the data should be able to speak for itself? Where’s the definitive, peer reviewed paper that tells us the statistical correlation between human activity and global temp rise? With this many people on the case you'd think that would be available if "the science is settled."

With the massive amounts of policy and money transfer associated with a conclusion on this shouldn't the data lead to an irrefutable conclusion? A ton of people accept "scientists say ___!" but just winning over the that portion of the population does not change the [il]legitimacy of the conclusion. Someone needs to prove it and stop saying "oh, but these guys agree!" (even though it's been shown that "97%" statistic is patently false and many researchers attributed to that report have gone so far as to sue to have their names removed from it)

Again with the disclaimer: I'm still open to the idea that we're the cause of all this shit, but the entire discussion here was started because there is no definitive answer so instead they use a guy chosen for his nostalgic appeal to the demographic with the loudest voice in politics these days to host a slanted episode of a Netflix special... In my opinion.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 04-28-2017, 06:38 AM.

Comment

All good thoughts Strychnine. Not saying I, or Bill Nye or anyone really knows the answer, but I think they know a hell of a lot more than the average person *believes* they know.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      Again with the disclaimer: I'm still open to the idea that we're the cause of all this shit, but the entire discussion here was started because there is no definitive answer so instead they use a guy chosen for his nostalgic appeal to the demographic with the loudest voice in politics these days to host a slanted episode of a Netflix special... In my opinion.
      The problem is, the uneducated will probably skim what you wrote, and say "see! it's obviously false!" when in reality, the results say it's likely we just don't know how bad it is for us yet. In addition, there's one theory that by the time we actually can predict a completely accurate model of climate change, it will be far too late to fix. That probably prompts the urgency from someone who believes heavily in the more dire model.

I think these guys would be extremely happy if someone like yourself does your own research and comes to your own conclusions. I don't think your the target market for this show. He's targeting everyone in here that quoted a popular media outlet as "fact".
      2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
        All good thoughts Strychnine. Not saying I, or Bill Nye or anyone really knows the answer, but I think they know a hell of a lot more than the average person *believes* they know.

The problem is, the uneducated will probably skim what you wrote, and say "see! it's obviously false!" when in reality, the results say it's likely we just don't know how bad it is for us yet. In addition, there's one theory that by the time we actually can predict a completely accurate model of climate change, it will be far too late to fix. That probably prompts the urgency from someone who believes heavily in the more dire model.

I think these guys would be extremely happy if someone like yourself does your own research and comes to your own conclusions. I don't think your the target market for this show. He's targeting everyone in here that quoted a popular media outlet as "fact".
        Quite a few assumptions in this post.

Comment

I still say technology is going to win in the end. We're onto the problem, and we're making the changes, albeit slowly. Maybe we'll find that the screaming idiots had to be there, to sort of slowly push us in the right direction. Cars are starting to become electric, solar hit record lows, thorium is being developed, factories can't just dump shit in the river anymore, etc etc. A guy invented a factory that burns tires cleanly for power, for fucks sake.

But I'm sure at that point, they'll just find something new to cry about. Like how we shouldn't strip mine barren planets or something.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            Maybe we'll find that the screaming idiots had to be there, to sort of slowly push us in the right direction. .
            This may be the big question. Most of those ideas you mention only occur in meaningful amounts because they become financially beneficial ventures. Could it be the case that some problem (or this problem) can kill us faster than it becomes economically viable to solve it?

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
              Quite a few assumptions in this post.
              Best I can do is speculate or quote Bill Nye himself. Those were my own thoughts. I prefaced almost every sentence with "I think". Forgot the disclaimer I suppose.

Originally posted by Bill Nye on CNN
              What is your purpose, your mission as one of the most recognizable scientists in popular culture in this alternative fact, post truth world?

There's a couple things I want. I want people to address climate change. I want clean water for everyone on Earth; renewably-produced, reliable electricity for everyone on Earth; access to the internet, or whatever the future of electronic information is, so that everybody in the world can participate in taking care of the planet.

Now you have a new show coming out on Netflix, "Bill Nye Saves the World." Who exactly is the audience?

Grown-ups. Voters and taxpayers. The rating, if it were rated, is PG-13. If we get 13, 12-year-olds watching, 14-year-olds, that's great. Bring it on. We address big issues facing society from a scientific standpoint, including climate change, space exploration.
              I really tried to find a more conservative source to quote but was unable to find anything.
              It’s been more than 20 years since “Bill Nye the Science Guy” hit the airwaves, but its host is not close to being done with science. In fact, he’s back to try and save the world.

Interestingly, as part of this debate it seem easy to label me a liberal tree hugger, but I'm conservative, like *many* things Trump is doing, and don't do anything crazy to save trees or cats or whatever. Big fan of all of this stuff happening al-natural, as in, make us WANT it, and not go out of our way. Tesla's going a long way on that front, and solar is slowly coming around.
              Last edited by mschmoyer; 04-28-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
                Best I can do is speculate or quote Bill Nye himself. Those were my own thoughts. I prefaced almost every sentence with "I think". Forgot the disclaimer I suppose.
                That's what all of us are doing, including Bill Nye, speculating.

Comment

after all that, you just wanted to say you are a sensible, free thinking man, who lives for your own cognizance?

imagine that, someone not afraid to throw a wrench in the chain and break up the echo chamber.

hmph.
                  THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                    after all that, you just wanted to say you are a sensible, free thinking man, who lives for your own cognizance?

imagine that, someone not afraid to throw a wrench in the chain and break up the echo chamber.

hmph.
                    You have non of the qualities listed above.

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
                      But some are more educated speculators than others which makes it more valid!

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
                        Sure, but our speculation in the latter part of this thread has been much more compelling than it started.

Recapping, buncha haters jumped on Bill Nye, got challenged, then cited popular biased media websites with crappy ads and no citations as rebuttal. Total nonsense. Then some other folks came in here and started presenting real thoughts.

I'm just happy some compelling evidence is being thrown around, regardless of the belief in it. Enough of that, and you might actually educate some folks to go figure this stuff out on their own and not take popular media for truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                          You have non of the qualities listed above.
                          come again?

THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
                            Sure, but our speculation in the latter part of this thread has been much more compelling than it started.

Recapping, buncha haters jumped on Bill Nye, got challenged, then cited popular biased media websites with crappy ads and no citations as rebuttal. Total nonsense. Then some other folks came in here and started presenting real thoughts.

I'm just happy some compelling evidence is being thrown around, regardless of the belief in it. Enough of that, and you might actually educate some folks to go figure this stuff out on their own and not take popular media for truth.

and for those who dont see what happened here, i present a topic that i know will gain traction, to get conversation rolling and educate myself through those with experience in the matters.

no harm no foul, just a mature, adult conversation, aside from SS junks posts.
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Rodney you are terrible at lots of things;
                              Making valid points supported with evidence
                              Adhering to general logic when arguing a point
                              Reading comprehension when a post has more than 1 sentence
                              Admitting defeat in any way shape or form

But by God I'll give you credit for stirring pot enough to entice a lively debate (albeit with a little help).
                              1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

• Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
                                Real thoughts of speculation. My speculation is better than your speculation.

Comment

Working...
                                X