Netflix Original: Bill Nye Saves The Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
    Cycle - They take into account the cycle. It won't always be warming, but it may be cooling *less* than it should, or warming when it should be cooling, things like that.
    But there is no factual proof this possible cycle is "cooling less" than one that may have occurred previously?

Comment

• deflection detection
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by naynay View Post
        deflection detection
        Wrong, faknews. The questions revolve around a supposed/alleged climate cycle that is allegedly/reportedly/supposedly being taken into consideration.

Comment

• glad you made that about you, but it was for CWO.
          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
            Other than cancer being real, yeah. Science questions things, by definition. Always question things.

A quick, unrelated question to you. How many genders are there?
            In relation to sexual organs I think only two organs exist - a male and a female, so I'd say two physically. But if you get into what people think they are, identify as, and who they are attracted to, I am open that it could be more of a spectrum. This is more of a social issue anyways IMO.

In one place it does matter -- and I'm against men in women's bathrooms and vise versa, but don't have strong opinions against requiring future businesses of X size to have an "anyone" bathroom or two.

Another -- gay marriage -- I don't have a huge stake but wouldn't actively vote against it, except to say we should simply have renamed it before it got this far. All "marriages" should be "civil unions" for tax purposes, then religious folks can go have marriages at their churches with no bearing on taxes or gov't. They can put whatever rules they want on it. No longer a gov't issue.
            2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

glad you made that about you, but it was for CWO.
              smooth, my former monica!

Comment

deflection detection
                I answered a question. I asked my own. Don't start.

Comment

In relation to sexual organs I think only two organs exist - a male and a female, so I'd say two physically. But if you get into what people think they are, identify as, and who they are attracted to, I am open that it could be more of a spectrum. This is more of a social issue anyways IMO.
                  Cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                    If true, what exactly is it we can do to refreeze polar caps? Where is the proof what is happening is from human pollution? Evolutionists believe the earth has been around for millions of years, could this be a cyclic event that may have transpired before weather patterns were accurately recorded?
                    Why does it have to be either or? Why can't there be a cycle and pollution is accelerating global warming?
                    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

• There very well could be, but everything I've heard and read over the years is based on nothing more than theory backed up by more theory and speculation.

Comment

Here's a question for you -- do you think it will ALWAYS be speculation? Or do you think someday we may be able to get fairly accurate as to what the model will be? What evidence would they have to present for you to believe whatever the hypothesis is?
                        This wasn’t directed to me, but I’m going to jump in because I think this will pretty much encapsulate the views of anyone here not agreeing with you.

A valid model has to exist before the results can be trusted. That’s the ENTIRE issue. That’s exactly why people are leary of the “consensus.” Everyone’s circle jerking about stuff that doesn’t accurately reflect the real world – the level of “green” virtue signaling is nearly as bad as other SJW shit.

You know who Freeman Dyson is, right? You’d say with all his credentials…
                        Theoretical physicist and mathematician
                        Professor of physics at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton
                        Known for his work in quantum electrodynamics, solid-state physics, astronomy and nuclear engineering.
                        Professor emeritus at the Institute for Advanced Study
                        Visitor of Ralston College
                        Member of the Board of Sponsors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
                        Heineman Prize (1965), Lorentz Medal (1966), Hughes Medal (1968), Harvey Prize (1977), Wolf Prize (1981), Andrew Gemant Award (1988), Matteucci Medal (1989), Oersted Medal (1991), Fermi Award (1993), Templeton Prize (2000), Pomeranchuk Prize (2003), Poincaré Prize (2012)
                        … that he knows a thing or two about conducting real science and interpreting data?

Here are his thoughts:

It’s very sad that in this country, political opinion parted [people’s views on climate change]. I’m 100 per cent Democrat myself, and I like Obama. But he took the wrong side on this issue, and the Republicans took the right side.
                        Dyson agrees that anthropogenic global warming exists, and has written that "[one] of the main causes of warming is the increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere resulting from our burning of fossil fuels such as oil and coal and natural gas." However, he believes that existing simulation models of climate fail to account for some important factors, and hence the results will contain too much error to reliably predict future trends:

The models solve the equations of fluid dynamics, and they do a very good job of describing the fluid motions of the atmosphere and the oceans. They do a very poor job of describing the clouds, the dust, the chemistry and the biology of fields and farms and forests. They do not begin to describe the real world we live in ...
                        and, in 2009:
                        What has happened in the past 10 years is that the discrepancies between what's observed and what's predicted have become much stronger. It's clear now the models are wrong, but it wasn't so clear 10 years ago.
                        I'm not saying the warming doesn't cause problems, obviously it does. Obviously we should be trying to understand it. I'm saying that the problems are being grossly exaggerated. They take away money and attention from other problems that are much more urgent and important. Poverty, infectious diseases, public education and public health. Not to mention the preservation of living creatures on land and in the oceans.
                        Sometimes, as in the use of bleeding as a treatment for various diseases, irrational belief did harm to a large number of human victims. George Washington was one of the victims. Other irrational beliefs, such as the phlogiston theory of burning or the Aristotelian cosmology of circular celestial motions, only did harm by delaying the careful examination of nature. In all these cases, we see a community of people happily united in a false belief that brought leaders and followers together. Anyone who questioned the prevailing belief would upset the peace of the community.
                        "What I'm convinced of is that we don't understand climate ... It will take a lot of very hard work before that question is settled.

One of the most highly regarded scientists in the land - a man who worked with Feynman, Oppenheimer, Bohr, etc - said all that (and a ton more), but because of the politicizing of the issue anyone who might agree with him or isn’t 100% on board with the “consensus” is labeled a “denier” or derided as some sort of backwoods retard who just couldn’t ever "understand“ science because they’re just not smart enough.
                        Last edited by Strychnine; 05-01-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Oh, and then there's this:

Former Obama Official: Bureaucrats Manipulate Climate Stats To Influence Policy

April 25, 2017

A former member of the Obama administration claims Washington D.C. often uses “misleading” news releases about climate data to influence public opinion.

Former Energy Department Undersecretary Steven Koonin told The Wall Street Journal Monday that bureaucrats within former President Barack Obama’s administration spun scientific data to manipulate public opinion.

“What you saw coming out of the press releases about climate data, climate analysis, was, I’d say, misleading, sometimes just wrong,” Koonin said, referring to elements within the Obama administration he said were responsible for manipulating climate data.
                          He pointed to a National Climate Assessment in 2014 showing hurricane activity has increased from 1980 as an illustration of how federal agencies fudged climate data. Koonin said the NCA’s assessment was technically incorrect.

“What they forgot to tell you, and you don’t know until you read all the way into the fine print is that it actually decreased in the decades before that,” he said. The U.N. published reports in 2014 essentially mirroring Koonin’s argument.
                          The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reported

…”there is limited evidence of changes in extremes associated with other climate variables since the mid-20th century” and current data shows “no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century.”
                          Press officers work with scientists within agencies like the National Oceanic Administration (NOAA) and NASA and are responsible for crafting misleading press releases on climate, he added.

Koonin is not the only one claiming wrongdoing. House lawmakers with the Committee on Science, Space and Technology, for instance, recently jumpstarted an investigation into NOAA after a whistleblower said agency scientists rushed a landmark global warming study to influence policymakers.

Texas Republican Rep. Lamar Smith, the committee’s chairman, will “move forward as soon as possible” in asking NOAA to hand over documents included in a 2015 subpoena on potential climate data tampering.

Koonin, who served under Obama from 2009 to 2011, went on to lament the politicization of science suggested that the ethos should be to “tell it like it is. You’re a scientist and it is your responsibility to put the facts on the table.”

NASA and NOAA’s actions, he said, are problematic, because “public opinion is formed by the data that is formed from those organizations and appears in newspapers.”

Comment

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            There very well could be, but everything I've heard and read over the years is based on nothing more than theory backed up by more theory and speculation.
                            so you just refuse to believe anything at all can be factual. which would also explain your devout christianity.

as a christian myself and knowing your personal track record i am turned off by the church in general.

faith is one thing, and as i have said, that white guy in the sky aint the same dude i pray to, the guy i pray to is a 35 year old dude from north dallas.

however you my friend, need an actual jesus.
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

so you just refuse to believe anything at all can be factual. which would also explain your devout christianity.

as a christian myself and knowing your personal track record i am turned off by the church in general.

faith is one thing, and as i have said, that white guy in the sky aint the same dude i pray to, the guy i pray to is a 35 year old dude from north dallas.

however you my friend, need an actual jesus.
                              God is white? Sweet. I might join the church after all.

Comment

• yep, the only white guy from the middle east, but kill em all right?

the counter-action is astonishing, and eric really, you dont want these problems, if i can run ruffdaddy and anthonyS off imagine where you will stand.

the internet is what i do. sit back and take notes, you'll pass the class.
                                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Working...
                                X