What .22 for target shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What .22 for target shooting?

I'm looking for something I can take to the range when I don't want to blow $30 in ammo. I've shot my father in law's target .22, and it's a blast, I just don't like that style!
    I want something on the cheap side, but not junk.
    I like the Walther P22...that's the style I'm looking for. Just not sure what all is out there. Something I can teach my sister, and later my 2 kids, to shoot would be ideal.
    Small is fine, cause it'll make me focus to be accurate.

Thanks, y'all!
    Jonny
    2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
    '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
    '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

If I'm playing with a .22 for targets, it'll be on the 10/22 or GSG5. 9mm and .38 are cheap target handguns for me.

My back-up to my back-up is a NAA .22Mag, though.

Comment

The walther is fine and all, but it you want accuracy, go with any Ruger, maybe a 22/45. Top quality, accuracy and a solid investment.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Great southwest gun sold me a bersa .22 (looks like the fullsize .380) and i love it. i shoot it 2-3 times a week. Its almost spot on a Walther p22 in accuracy and pricing but mine has been more reliable then a buddys p22

it shoots thunderbolts like a champ along with wildcats

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
          The walther is fine and all, but it you want accuracy, go with any Ruger, maybe a 22/45. Top quality, accuracy and a solid investment.
          alot more $ though

Comment

What is a decent price for a Ruger 22/45 short barrel?
            '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by franks View Post
              Great southwest gun sold me a bersa .22 (looks like the fullsize .380) and i love it. i shoot it 2-3 times a week. Its almost spot on a Walther p22 in accuracy and pricing but mine has been more reliable then a buddys p22

it shoots thunderbolts like a champ along with wildcats
              Yeah, something like that...I like that one too.

Is the Taurus PT22 a good gun?
              '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

i wouldnt buy a taurus ever. Hear horror stories far to often.

i know you can buy the bersa, p22 and several rugers locally, never have seen a taurus

id prolly go with the ruger if you have enough to get a bull barreled one ($400). they are dead accurate at 20+ yards

Comment

My father-in-law has a Ruger Mark III Hunter. It's stainless with the long fluted barrel. The gun is extremely accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

My boss the regular Ruger Mark III (black finish and shorter barrel) and it's also very accurate and costs less.

Marcus
                  '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

If you dont buy a mark ii or a buckmark, youre probably making a mistake. Threw gsg 1911 .22 is very fun too although not as accurate.

Comment

I'm not a believer in "heard this or a friend says that". I can't speak for the Taurus PT22, but personally, I've shot just about every true compact size 9mm the bullet trap has, and it came down to the Walther PPS and the Taurus PT111. I only ended up buying the Taurus because I found a good deal, BUT I can tell you, it's a bad mother! I got it used and personally put over 1000 round through it in the last couple of months, usually 100-200 ea time I go, and zero FTF, jams, etc with the couple of Wal-Mart brands, brand the bullet trap carries and some stuff I got at the last gun show I went to. I was able to adjust the sights and get it zero'd in, the dot over dot sight is easy to get shots off down range quick and it fits my hand like a glove...LOVE this gun!

That being said, I have read that the other .22s are more accurate, so I've crossed the Taurus PT22 off the list. My itty bitty AMT 380 is a fixed barrel and as accurate as you are, so I'm leaning towards the Bursa, at the moment, but reading good stuff about the Rugar also. I'll probably shoot the Bursa, Walther and Rugar at the range and see which one the wife and I like best unless y'all can think of any other brand you'd own...

-Jonny
                      '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

If you make it over to Great Southwest gun you can shoot my bersa if you want

Comment

Originally posted by franks View Post
                          If you make it over to Great Southwest gun you can shoot my bersa if you want
                          Thanks, Bro! If Bullet Trap doesn't have one, I may take you up on that.

-Jonny
                          '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Get the buckmark or the ruger. People tend to gravitate to the p22 or the sig mosquito because they look more like a traditional gun, but I can tell you that both are inferior. Without the suppressor, my p22 is a jamming SOB, and the mosquitos are notoriously unreliable as well.

Also, have you considered a revolver? Heritage makes a great 22lr revolver for ultra cheap.
                            Originally posted by lincolnboy
                            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Got a Ruger Mark III Bull and a 22/45 threaded and am very happy with both.
                              WRX

Comment

Working...
                              X