No announcement yet.

Appeal of the AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops my bad. I should've directed my reply to your wife since she apparently is the firearms expert in your family.

You do realize the AR10 is the larger twin brother of the AR15 which you clearly hate, don't you? That's a lot like bitching about Chevy trucks and driving a GM. Any way you argue that point if view, you are still an idiot troll.

Comment

They are appealing to many people because they are cheap, and you can put one together bit by bit as you get the cash.

They don't appeal to me because they use direct impingement, which means the rifles shits where it eats. There is also a cheesedick metal tube on the back of the rifle so you cant have a folding stock. The controls are not ambi either, as the bolt catch, magazine release, and selector are set up for right handed people only. The barrel is also much harder to change than other modern rifles. They also get dirty as fuck really, really fast.

I know people will respong to this with things like "Hurr durr I can change a barrel in 10 seconds" and "all you need to do is buy a bunch of shit to make it ambi", but fuck all that.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

All guns are for faggots.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post

They don't appeal to me because they use direct impingement, which means the rifles shits where it eats. There is also a cheesedick metal tube on the back of the rifle so you cant have a folding stock. The controls are not ambi either, as the bolt catch, magazine release, and selector are set up for right handed people only. The barrel is also much harder to change than other modern rifles. They also get dirty as fuck really, really fast.
          I've shot 3,000 rounds through an AR-15 and never had a jam. In my opinion it's all perceived weaknesses. direct impingement keeps the simplicity and cost down, it's effective and it's proven itself over the last 50 years. Gas piston conversions are fancy, expensive, and a waste of money in my opinion. Not a damn person on this board needs one, other than to burn cash.

No rifle can be everything. That rifle was meant to win wars, and it has. It's not meant to be pretty, comfortable for lefies, and fit easily into a backpack. When that rifle was released there was *nothing* even close to it - it was a laser blaster for all intents and purposes. All of the critics of the day were shitting on it just the same as they are today, and you know what? It's still the most popular semi auto rifle there is, to this day - and everyone on here has one or more.
          Last edited by CJ; 06-24-2011, 01:49 PM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Folding stocks are gay. ONLY thing I can think of they look good on is an Uzi.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              It's just another tool.
              This, plain and simple.
              "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
              East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
              https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                I've shot 3,000 rounds through an AR-15 and never had a jam. In my opinion it's all perceived weaknesses. direct impingement keeps the simplicity and cost down, it's effective and it's proven itself over the last 50 years. Gas piston conversions are fancy, expensive, and a waste of money in my opinion. Not a damn person on this board needs one, other than to burn cash.

No rifle can be everything. That rifle was meant to win wars, and it has. It's not meant to be pretty, comfortable for lefies, and fit easily into a backpack. When that rifle was released there was *nothing* even close to it - it was a laser blaster for all intents and purposes. All of the critics of the day were shitting on it just the same as they are today, and you know what? It's still the most popular semi auto rifle there is, to this day - and everyone on here has one or more.
                I have had ARs jam more than any other gun. My factory rock river gun jams like a sunofabitch. DI may keep costs down, but it is nasty as hell and makes for a tedious cleaning process. I like guns with gas pistons, as they are generally more reliable and seem to be the natural progression. The army's test showed the m4 with more stoppages than piston guns-

If that doesn't prove that more modern piston setups are more reliable, then I do not know what will.

Also, hasn't the m16/ar platform... you know... lost wars? And it is popular because of a combination of factors ranging from import bans to the number of players in the game. Hell, in the 80s HK roller locked stuff was way more popular than AR stuff, and in the 90s FALs were the gun to have and build. Now, the import ban stopped HK stuff from flooding in, and 922r killed the FAL, so the AR is all most people gravitate to.

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                Folding stocks are gay. ONLY thing I can think of they look good on is an Uzi.
                Cool opinion bro. I like folding stocks. My MP5k will have one soon, and my MG has one. I like shooting full auto with the stock folded in

Last edited by Moose242; 06-24-2011, 03:48 PM.
                Originally posted by lincolnboy
                After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Never had a jam with mine and it gets treated like shit. I don't do 30 round mag dumps all the time, but I try and keep it to 3-5 round shots.

If I can't hit it with that it deserved to live.

Piston stuff is awesome, i just don't need it.

Like I said guns are tools. Sure your snap on hk is better than my craftsman ar. If you want the best weapon for war it sure as hell ain't a gun.

Comment

Cool opinion bro. I like folding stocks. My MP5k will have one soon, and my MG has one. I like shooting full auto with the stock folded in

MP5 needs a sliding stock, not folder.
                    What is the point of the folding stock folded in?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                      MP5 needs a sliding stock, not folder.
                      What is the point of the folding stock folded in?
                      Unless its a K

Comment

I think the AR that Para makes is a side-folding/gas piston gun. The price was so high, though, you'd think HK made it for them.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                          I think the AR that Para makes is a side-folding/gas piston gun. The price was so high, though, you'd think HK made it for them.
                          Para is in the process of discontinuing that model.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                            Para is in the process of discontinuing that model.
                            Para should discontinue business altogether.

Comment

Also, hasn't the m16/ar platform... you know... lost wars?
                              Please elaborate on this a little more. I'm not really aware of us LOSING wars since the M16* was involved. There are wars we've withdrawn from and/or have been totally cluster fucked by politicians. I'm aware of 4 (3 of them that I've been there see for myself...Desert Storm, OIF, OEF and the Balkans) areas where military personnel utilizing this platform have destroyed the opposition when given free rein.

I'm also aware of in the Vietnam era the M16 pissing people off and arguably costing the lives of the first models being used.

Again though, not aware of it losing any wars or the US LOSING a war. I'm biased though.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                                Please elaborate on this a little more. I'm not really aware of us LOSING wars since the M16* was involved. There are wars we've withdrawn from and/or have been totally cluster fucked by politicians. I'm aware of 4 (3 of them that I've been there see for myself...Desert Storm, OIF, OEF and the Balkans) areas where military personnel utilizing this platform have destroyed the opposition when given free rein.

I'm also aware of in the Vietnam era the M16 pissing people off and arguably costing the lives of the first models being used.

Again though, not aware of it losing any wars or the US LOSING a war. I'm biased though.
                                By the time we got to the later variants, we stopped having crazy problems with them.
                                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                                X