Appeal of the AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
    The higher spin rate on the lighter bullets can cause them to tumble in flight and negatively affects accuracy (the word here is "keyholing"). There have been unconfirmed reports of very light bullets (like, say, 40 grains) coming apart in flight.
    It will not hurt your barrel or rifling.
    Yep the really light bullets its possible for this to happen, just over-spins them and they fly apart.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      You're comparing a weapon against 3 other's which are 4x as much money.
      There are plenty of guns that can out shoot an AR15 for less money. What's your point? Are you backing down from your AR15 > all others mentality?

Comment

Originally posted by Uber Toten Schlager View Post
        There are plenty of guns that can out shoot an AR15 for less money. What's your point? Are you backing down from your AR15 > all others mentality?
        Such as?

Comment

Originally posted by Uber Toten Schlager View Post
          Not at all, bit i'm standing firm on your trolling ass.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
            The higher spin rate on the lighter bullets can cause them to tumble in flight and negatively affects accuracy (the word here is "keyholing"). There have been unconfirmed reports of very light bullets (like, say, 40 grains) coming apart in flight.
            It will not hurt your barrel or rifling.
            You got that first part backwards. You will get keyholing when the bullet isn't spinning fast enough, I.E. a long bullet in a slow twist barrel.

Comment

Wouldn't it also keyhole a little if you over spin the bullet. At least at longer distances. Since the bullet won't pitch down, and remain pointed upward as it was when it left the barrel? Like a gyroscope I guess.
              IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
                Wouldn't it also keyhole a little if you over spin the bullet. At least at longer distances. Since the bullet won't pitch down, and remain pointed upward as it was when it left the barrel? Like a gyroscope I guess.
                Why would it ever be "nose up"?

Comment

The bullet travels in an arc, so it leaves the muzzle pointed up maybe a degree or a few depending on how far the target is.
                  IMG_0424

Comment

The bullet travels in an arc, so it leaves the muzzle pointed up maybe a degree or a few depending on how far the target is.
                    No it fucking does not. It starts falling as soon as it exits the rifling. You point the barrel up very slightly to get the arc to line up with the intended point of impact.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                      No it fucking does not. It starts falling as soon as it exits the rifling. You point the barrel up very slightly to get the arc to line up with the intended point of impact.
                      Bingo. How could you explain the bullet going up after it leaves the barrel?

Comment

I think I'm saying the same thing. Isn't the barrel pointed slightly upwards when aiming at a target?
                        IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                          Bingo. How could you explain the bullet going up after it leaves the barrel?
                          Cartridge performance charts on the side of boxes of ammo.

Comment

I think I'm saying the same thing. Isn't the barrel pointed slightly upwards when aiming at a target?
                            If it is, it's because you're aiming it that direction, and that's not what you said. Assuming it's level, the bullet will only fall.

Comment

It's called being wrong. It happens to all of us. The "rise" is in the parallax between the shooter's line of site and the bore.

Comment

For .223, the "zero" is 25 and 300 yards. The bullet going up portion hits at 25 yards on the sight line and the bullet going down will hit at 300 yards on the sight line. I believe that's the rule of thumb.
                                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                                X