Small review for 740

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small review for 740

Finally got to go shoot my new Taurus 740. Bought this as a small concealable backup/offduty gun. I also wanted something in .40 due to me getting free .40 ammo. So, I settled on the 740 (709 being the 9mm variant). A bunch of my gun nut buddies had bought this very gun and swore by it. I've had taurus' inthe past and were good reliable pistols that lacked in the accuracy Dept. This holds true with the 740.
    -Range Time-
    I visited my local range called Smart Shoot in fort worth off 35w and Heritage trace. The 740 comes with two 6 round sigle stacked mags (buddy called me yesterday and informed me that Pierce had just released a pinky mag extension). The sights are a triple white dot setup with adjustable rear sights. The trigger pull is that of a glock, but is also double action. Longtravel before u reach the trigger point of action. Once it's reached, it's a quick crisp click. That's where is stops being nice to you. This thing kicks like a chick being denied seconds! If u don't hold on tight, this is wherethat pierce mag extender is severly needed, you might loose ur gun. It's accuracy is meh. I had a very difficult time not anticipating the heavy recoil and getting the gun to shoot at it's designated location. When I moved the target to 5-6 yards, it was fairly accurate. At 15+ yards it was a shotgun. Discouraged, I loaded a mag up in my glock 23 and got headshot after headshot, 13 rnds, at 15 yards.
    -Conclusion-
    Good little conceal carry pistol that is super slim and compact. Problem areas is the recoil (granted I did opt for the .40, I assume the 9 wouldn't be so bad), grip size for big handed people (pierce mag ext might be the answer), and shotty accuracy passed 10+ yards. On a scale from 0-5, I give this a 3.
    P.S. I did not have ONE misfire, stove pipe, or malfunction on it through the 70 rounds I pumped through it using Blazer aluminum casing shitty ammo.

Great review!
    One of the main reasons I got rid of my 709 was the recoil. Even the 9mm is really kind of a handful. My feeling was, "if I have to pull it on someone and use it, I had damn sure better put them down with the first shot".
    The 709 was acceptably accurate. I could generally keep every shot comfortably inside the 8 ring at 15 yards.
    Overall, it's a good design, but needs another 1/2" or so in grip length. I was always surprised they even made a .40, considering the dynamics of the 9mm.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Subcompact pistols are for close and dirty work. How big was the spread, and how much of the spread was due to flinching?
      A hogue or pachmayr grip plus the extension you mentioned may help you hold it better.

I'd like to hear how it shoots after a little more range time with it.

Comment

Shoot more, stop being a pussy. If you want a better perspective on how light the recoil of a .40 is, then go shoot a scandium .357 with big boy loads. You won't be able to put it down fast enough.

Comment

Working...
        X