Suggestions for a .308 auto loader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a .308 auto loader?

I've decided to build up my other lower sitting around in 6.8SPC, but I really want a .308 semi auto rifle. Once the 6.8 is built, that will be my second AR so I'm hesitant to build/purchase another one in 7.62, but if its the best option I don't see why not. I don't really have a purpose for this as of yet other than having way too much 7.62 and only a bolt action to feed it through. And that bolt action really only shoots my hunting loads now. But likely it will be used for some longer range paper killing and to take a hog or three.

So I've looked at AR options like the Armalite. But what I haven't seen are many options to build your own. Seems like everyone and their kid brother make a stripped AR15 multi-cal lower, but next to none make one in 7.62. Is it even cost effective to build one that way?

Other options would be in the same price range like the M1A and the PTR-91. And really thats all that has piqued my interest. CAI rifles are just too hit or miss and I'd rather have something a little more consistent, and HK is just too spendy when it comes to rifles for my budget at the moment, although I'd love to get my hands on an HK-91.

I have built a complete LR-308 and also a .338 Federal upper for it. The stripped lowers, uppers and barrels are harder to find but not impossible. You can definitely build one cheaper than buying one built but it will take some time to get the parts together. Also beware that this platform is not as modular as the AR-15 platform.... most Armalite style AR-10 parts will not interchange with DPMS style LR-308 parts......

Comment

I played with an FN FAL once, I liked the bipod, and the fact that it looked kind of like an MG42.

The M1s have a special look about them that I like though.

Comment

M1A's/M14's can be pretty darn accurate but it will just take about twice what an AR variant 7.62 will cost .
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
          M1A's/M14's can be pretty darn accurate but it will just take about twice what an AR variant 7.62 will cost .
          You are kidding right? An out of the box M1A will go toe to toe with any comparably priced AR10 variant I have ever seen.

But if you are looking for a .308 auto loader then you are pretty limited in what you can get. The big ones out there are the aforementioned M1A and AR10 type rifles, an FAL variant, a G3 variant (including PTRs and HK 91s), a saiga, or a browning BAR. These are the most commonly available and they all have the advantages and drawbacks.

I own a PTR and love it though. Hard to beat $0.97 magazines, oodles of cheap replacement parts, and excellent accuracy.
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
            I played with an FN FAL once, I liked the bipod, and the fact that it looked kind of like an MG42.

Do what????

My choice would be an FAL.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              My choice would be an FAL.
              LOL, I'm shocked! I still have that FAL kit, just need a receiver. One of these days, one of these days (that's what I said about my AR lowers, and I've now built 4 and put uppers on 3!)...
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Hk91
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

PTR-91's are nice. You can shoot commercial brass through them, unlike most G3's.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                    You are kidding right? An out of the box M1A will go toe to toe with any comparably priced AR10 variant I have ever seen .
                    If you are talking just about general plinking then yes they are fairly close but take a stroll up to camp Perry and watch the service rifle comp. I believe this year the top 4 places were the AMU using the AR/7.62 platform, and these are open sight rifles competing and ranges up to 600 meters.

Comment

If you want a FAL, take a look at DSA.

Then there is also the Keltec RFB18.

Comment

If you are talking just about general plinking then yes they are fairly close but take a stroll up to camp Perry and watch the service rifle comp. I believe this year the top 4 places were the AMU using the AR/7.62 platform, and these are open sight rifles competing and ranges up to 600 meters.
                        I am not talking "general plinking". I don't care who won what match with what rifle (by the way, the Army Marksmanship Unit shoots AMU specialty built National Match grade AR-10's), because we could play that game all day. What I do know is that the M1A is used as a designated marksman rifle by the US military currently, and has been the go to sniper rifle in the past (before it was replaced by the m24 system) and that commercially produced M1As of today are some of the most accurate out of the box 7.62 rifles available to consumers, and many believe the M1A/M14 series to be the most accurate battle rifle ever shouldered.

I highly suggest looking into a loaded M1A though. For about $1400, you get an air gauged medium weight national match barrel, national match trigger assembly, national match front sight and non-hooded rear sight assembly, etc.
                        Originally posted by lincolnboy
                        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          Hk91
                          This!
                          2010 Ford SVT Raptor
                          2007 Saleen S281-SC
                          1998 BMW M Roadster
                          1961 Ford F100

Comment

That's a Mark 11 Mod 0, they are specialized very high dollar match rifles, not your typical AR-10. A run of the mill bottom tier M1A will outshoot your average DPMS or Armalite AR-10 for sure.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Most run of the mill M1A's are 1.50 MOA at best and thats not very impressive for 1200 I've seen several DPMS variant AR10 shoot wasy .75 MOA. M1A's are also a little more difficult to mount an optic on since sometimes recievers aren't as true as they could so the scope mounts don't sit very solid. Then if you buy a plain loaded one and it doesn't shoot great you better bring your wallet to get it fixed, new barrels have to be headspaced then the action has to be timed after that, there's also bedding but that's a 2 part process.

The Designated Marksman rifles are old match rifles that have had Mcmillan stocks put on them and have been built by 10th Special Forces armorers.

Comment

Working...
                              X