Night Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Vision

Any of you running a night vision scope or monocular on any of your rifles?

I want more of a monocular like the ATN PS22 that can be mounted in front of my scope but don't have the $1,800 to spend.

I'm not opposed to a true night vision scope, but they are heavy.

Any of you have a line on a good monocular that will work with a scope or red dot that won't break the bank?

Not looking for 500 yard clarity as most of my hunting is within 100 yards in wooded areas.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Had a vendor here the other day talking about some Laser Night Vision that he has mounted to his scope. Anyone else I would have taken it more seriously, but homeboy was a moron...

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

The best quality/money is a Mum-14. You will not be disappointed.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
        Had a vendor here the other day talking about some Laser Night Vision that he has mounted to his scope. Anyone else I would have taken it more seriously, but homeboy was a moron...

http://swfa.com/Laser-Genetics-ND-3-...or-P41090.aspx
        I've seen this before and used it - it's interesting for sure. Essentially it's a high powered green laser. Think of it as a really powerful flashlight mounted to your gun. It will definitely work, but I can't say how hogs will react. I've spot lit a group of hogs 50 yards away in a field driving a side by side and they just stood there, and I've also seen them run on a cigar wrapper being stepped on - hard creatures to predict so I couldn't tell you.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The best quality/money is a Mum-14. You will not be disappointed.
          I'm sure I would not be disappointed, but at $2,000, it's not in the cards...
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

But here is my no-bullshit requirements for hunting/shooting at night time with the least money wasted. If it isn't absolutely necessary, I won't mention it.

1) High quality scope w/ NV lit reticle (you do need a high quality scope because light gathering is essential).

2) Mum-14 Monocular (http://www.tnvc.com/shop/mum-mini-14...ion-monocular/) These can be found on AR15.com occasionally around the $1,500-2,000 range. They are the best for the money. Ask gat0r, Yale, Bajabob what they think of the clarity. These are very small, light weight, and weapon mountable. There are many different mounts available for them.

3) rail mounted high powered IR-illuminator. The NV itself isn't enough for hunting at long ranges. It amplifies available light, but 70% of the time you don't have sufficient moon light to differentiate types of animals in your sights. Think of an illuminator as an invisible spotlight only your NV will pick up. A good one will turn your NV into daylight and blind you when pull away from the scope.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
              I'm sure I would not be disappointed, but at $2,000, it's not in the cards...
              I could lie to you, but I've been there and done that so I'll take the time to tell you my experience. I honestly believe you would not be happy with a Gen 1/2 cheap ATN or like NV. What you expect NV to do for you really only comes from the mid/high range Gen3 equipment. That is real usable NV.

If you are not using this for hunting, they don't even bother buying it. That's really the only reason to have this kind of quality, and that's when it's necessary.

NV is a tool to help you hunting, but even without high dollar optics you can hunt at night. It's all about your skill, ambition, and attention.

Comment

Heard several problems about using these in weather under 40 degrees but they were suposedly working on a fix.
                "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                  Heard several problems about using these in weather under 40 degrees but they were suposedly working on a fix.
                  fire off 10-20 rounds to warm it up, solves itself.

Comment

Huh, never though of using the ND3 as a type of "Night Vision". IMO the point of NV is to see without being seen. I guess with hunting it isn't really that big of a deal though, as long as the hogs don't run then it is effectively the same.

I like the write-up CJ. I would love to get my hands on some NV equipment, it's just hard to justify spending that much right now, even to myself. I keep hoping they come out with a newer/better Gen. (5,6, whatever that would be) and prices would drop, but I don't think it would drop as much as I would like them to.

I knew a guy that worked as a salesman for TNVC, wish I had approached him about it but at the time I didn't have the funds to even consider it. Lesson learned.
                    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Appreciate the input CJ.

I will just keep saving and maybe one of these days (when the kids are grown and out of college) I will be able to afford something worthwhile...

Comment

I'm planning on the Pulsar digital NV scope, but at 13-1400 its prolly outta your range as well. Has a video out port so you can record out of it.

View of the different reticles:
                        Last edited by Binky; 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                          I'm planning on the Pulsar digital NV scope, but at 13-1400 its prolly outta your range as well. Has a video out port so you can record out of it.
                          When I see the quality of the image, and the amount your paying for it, I don't understand why. Is this image cropped?
                          Last edited by CJ; 11-21-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Check the vid out, it's an exported vid.

It's not high quality super value NV compared to a GenIII $8000 tube. For other $1300 rifle scopes however, it's pretty neat IMHO.

Heres a better quality vid than the one I first put up.

This is some Call of Duty sniper bullshit right here..

Last edited by Binky; 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                              Check the vid out, it's an exported vid.

It's not high quality super value NV compared to a GenIII $8000 tube. For other $1300 rifle scopes however, it's pretty neat IMHO.
                              Gen3 tubes are not 8k, like I was saying earlier you can get a mum-14 for between $1,500-2,000 if you are patient. Looking at that video It is pretty evident it's considerably lower resolution than a Mum-14 would be for roughly the same price.

Some disadvantages I see are a) it's gigantic, b) it's heavy, c) it's low res, d) it's a scope, not weapon mountable.

This is a PVS-14, the same unit as the Mum-14 essentially. I think you'll see the difference. Now, I can assure you the picture is considerably clearer than that video shows, especially with his stupid ass digital zoom, but the point being even with his crappy camera, it's considerably evident.

Sounds like you've done your homework, all I'm saying is I really think you could get a much better optic for your money.

Comment

Working...
                              X