Goodbye Famas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Famas

A while back in Canada I posted about how big of a failure that the Famas really is. In short, the Famas' lever delayed blowback system is so violent that it rips brass cases apart, so they have to use steel cased ammo imported from China. They also have to use 55 grain bullets due to the 1 in 12 twist of the rifling. This prevents them from using the SS109 62 grain 5.56 cartridge that pretty much every other NATO country uses, taking away the advantage of standardizing a cartridge with your allies (way to go, France).

Anyways, more here-

I first reported rumors that the French would be replacing the FAMAS rifle back in 2009. During a recent meeting with the Commission of Defense, the French CEMAT (Chef d’Etat Major de l’Arm?e de Terre / Chief of Staff of the Army), General Ract Madoux, confirmed that the French Army would issue a RFP (Request … Read More …

During a recent meeting with the Commission of Defense, the French CEMAT (Chef d'Etat Major de l'Armée de Terre / Chief of Staff of the Army), General Ract Madoux, confirmed that the French Army would issue a RFP (Request For Proposals) in 2013 for a replacement service rifle for the French Army.

Contenders to replace the rifle include:
    The HK 416
    FN SCAR
    FN2000
    SIG 550
    SIG 516
    Beretta ARX
    CZ 805 BREN A2
    HS VHS
    Remington ACR
    Colt Canada C7
    IMI Tavor

I would almost guarantee that they replace the Famas with a bullpup though.

One great thing about this is that we may see an influx of Famas parts kits here in the US! If a firearm manufacturer makes only a few parts for them, they could be built and sold here. This would make me one seriously happy man.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Well, you would be able to shoot the cheapest ammo on the shelf. That's something.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Another good thing about the Famas, guaranteed to have never seen combat.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        Another good thing about the Famas, guaranteed to have never seen combat.
        Quite the contrary, they have been used in five wars...

Comment

Have they been shot though?
          Just continuing the old French never fight mantra.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
            Have they been shot though?
            Just continuing the old French never fight mantra.
            I never understood that mantra. They have the best military record of any country in the Old World.

"The French soldiers are grand. They are grand. There is no other word to express it." - Arthur Conan Doyle

Comment

WWII and Vietnam?
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                WWII and Vietnam?
                Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                They have the best military record of any country in the Old World.
                Funny how a century with a few military mistakes over shadows millenniums of military triumphs.

Comment

or forget the French Foreign Legion

Comment

I would imagine your right to assume they'll go with a bullpup just for familiarity in design.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      Funny how a century with a few military mistakes over shadows millenniums of military triumphs.
                      Identify the bonds between the modern French army and their battles and those of the French army of two centuries ago and that statement might mean a little more.

Comment

I bet their next battle rifle is just as weird looking. It is such an ugly rifle and looks like a movie prop from a sci-fi film.

That said, I would still own one or would not mind shooting one at least.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I could use a Famas and shoot some wolf ammo.
                          First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

My guess is a toss up between the Scar, 416, and the Tavor. My best guess is likely the Tavor or the 416 winning.

Comment

If I was the guy in charge my troops would all be getting the SIG550 or some other AK derivative. If starting from scratch I would prefer something chambered in in 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendal or anything other then 5.56mm.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X