Snubbies: .38 Specials vs. .357 Magnums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snubbies: .38 Specials vs. .357 Magnums

So what are the pros and cons of each caliber in a snub nose size pistol? Specifically trades offs when comparing stopping power,recoil, muzzle flash etc. of a .38 Special +P to a light .357 Magnum load. I've never shot a .357 Magnum in a snub nose and have no idea how the recoil and flash compare.

As a side note, how good is a .357 Magnum for a back woods gun against animals (I'm talking specifically about bears). Not necessarily thinking about a snub nose in this situation but maybe a 4" barrel.

Muzzle flash is very bright on a .357 and recoil is pretty snappy in a steel .357 snubbie, the scandium models are brutal with full house .357 rounds. The S&W J frames aren't available in a 1 7/8" barrel until you get into the scandium frames. ($900), which means that pocket carry is much less friendly compared to the .38 models.

Comment

I would think the most obvious advantage to the 357 is the ability to use either ammo. Not sure if that would help play a part in your decision...
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

I have a cheap (but very good and reliable) Rossi .357/.38

It definitely kicks more with .357 vs .38...but oddly the .38 rounds make more flash than my .357's...don't know why.

I just bought because I've always wanted a wheel gun...I can hit the target..thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
          So what are the pros and cons of each caliber in a snub nose size pistol? Specifically trades offs when comparing stopping power,recoil, muzzle flash etc. of a .38 Special +P to a light .357 Magnum load. I've never shot a .357 Magnum in a snub nose and have no idea how the recoil and flash compare.

As a side note, how good is a .357 Magnum for a back woods gun against animals (I'm talking specifically about bears). Not necessarily thinking about a snub nose in this situation but maybe a 4" barrel.
          If you are an experienced shooter you will find the difference between .38+P and .357 to be marginal. .357 certainly has more bang, but it's just as manageable as .38+P. Despite the camp rumors, .357 in a snub nose still has a substantial advantage in velocity, and energy delivery. Get the .357 not only for flexibility but for resale as well. I love the shit out of my SP101.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I recently had to decide between a S&W .357 or .38 special +P snubby myself. The .357 is a much higher pressure round (35k psi vs 20k psi) and a slightly longer cartridge so obviously it has a lot more muzzle energy. I compared some defense rounds and the .357 came up almost double on muzzle energy for the ones I looked at.
            If you can afford a scandium J-frame .357 for roughly double the price of the aluminum .38 then both are light enough to be friendly for carry. (.357 is actually lighter than the .38).
            If you can handle the increased recoil of the .357 to shoot it as accurately and get back on target quickly then it definitely is the better choice.
            With good ammo I think the .38 has enough stopping power so for the difference in price I bought a 642. I just wish it was rated for +P+ because I have a bunch of it laying around that my father's highway patrol friend gave to him.
            Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
            Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Well the main reason I'm asking this is I have a Taurus M85 .38 Special Revolver. Just wondering if it was worth going with a .357 Magnum revolver over what I have. Maybe I should look into getting a 4" .357 Magnum revolver rather than a snubby.

Comment

Well the main reason I'm asking this is I have a Taurus M85 .38 Special Revolver. Just wondering if it was worth going with a .357 Magnum revolver over what I have. Maybe I should look into getting a 4" .357 Magnum revolver rather than a snubby.
                For your question about bears even a .357 is questionable but it's a lot better than .38+P against one.
                Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  If you are an experienced shooter you will find the difference between .38+P and .357 to be marginal. .357 certainly has more bang, but it's just as manageable as .38+P. Despite the camp rumors, .357 in a snub nose still has a substantial advantage in velocity, and energy delivery. Get the .357 not only for flexibility but for resale as well. I love the shit out of my SP101.
                  Well damn... Guess really the only way for me to come to a conclusion is to try it out. What size barrel do you have on the SP101?

Comment

Well damn... Guess really the only way for me to come to a conclusion is to try it out. What size barrel do you have on the SP101?
                    2 1/4". My 130lb 59yr old mother in law uses it for carry. I switched out some 38 and 357 (which I loaded damn hot) and she preferred the .357. I personally feel barrel length plays a part in recoil. For whatever reason my 8" python hits harder than my 2 1/4" sp101 with the same loads.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

why you bear huntin jose?
                      www.hppmotorsports.com
                      ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                        2 1/4". My 130lb 59yr old mother in law uses it for carry. I switched out some 38 and 357 (which I loaded damn hot) and she preferred the .357. I personally feel barrel length plays a part in recoil. For whatever reason my 8" python hits harder than my 2 1/4" sp101 with the same loads.
                        Good to know. I guess I might bite the bullet and go with a .357. If anything I can load it with .38's if my girly hands find the .357 to powerful or the flash to bright LOL! Don't really want to spend the money on a S&W or Ruger and I have my eye on a Taurus M605 (think that's the model) that I've seen for a tad over $300.

Originally posted by momo View Post
                        why you bear huntin jose?
                        Not hunting bears but I like going camping alot and hate carrying my 1911 when I do so. If I happen to get a revolver wet I wouldn't be to worried about the finish or maintenance and I like carrying shotshell loads and not having to worry about it not cycling the slide. Plus I figure the .357 packs more of a punch than the .45 for animals with more than two legs.

Comment

Good to know. I guess I might bite the bullet and go with a .357. If anything I can load it with .38's if my girly hands find the .357 to powerful or the flash to bright LOL! Don't really want to spend the money on a S&W or Ruger and I have my eye on a Taurus M605 (think that's the model) that I've seen for a tad over $300.
                          Just be aware that's the one that's known for blowing up

Comment

find a good used 686, cabelas had a couple of them last week. I paid $490 for mine there and it was in damn good shape.

Comment

I think I would lean towards a charter arms bulldog for an inexpensive snubbie.

Of course the illustrious and omniscient Corporal Ed Sanow rated the 44 spl as completely worthless and a liability to the user for self defence, but that is a reason to have one IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X