CHL and Gun purchase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHL and Gun purchase question

If I can buy a handgun or assault rifle, does that mean I'm also good to apply for a CHL and be accepted?

I had a class B misdemeanor about 5 years back and I know that's the limit they want to approve you. I can't get my criminal record from anyone.. I've tried the police, DPS, courts, and the jail and they keep giving me the run around. It was just a possession of marajuana under 2 oz class B misdemeanor.
    sigpic
    Tags:

You might be eligible according to sub section 8

GC ยง411.172. ELIGIBILITY.

(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:

(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

(2) is at least 21 years of age;

(3) has not been convicted of a felony;

(4) is not charged with the commission of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or of a felony under an information or indictment;

(5) is not a fugitive from justice for a felony or a Class A or Class B misdemeanor;

(6) is not a chemically dependent person;

(7) is not incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun;

(8) has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code;

(9) is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun;

Comment

Would that be the same to purchase a handgun from a dealer?
      sigpic

Comment

That's part of the eligibility requirements for applying for a CHL in regards to your question about the Class B misdemeanor. I don't know anything about what a dealer looks for in terms of eligibility on their background checks. Of course, if you have your CHL you don't have to deal with that. Just pick a gun, pay, and walk out the door.

Comment

The dps has a chl email where you can ask specific questions. They are quite helpful.

Comment

Plus it maybe beneficial to ask an instructor his/her opinion. Either way, I'd go through the process with something minor like that on my record. At lease my CHL class is one I'd recommend for anyone who feels they may use any gun in self defense.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

You picked up the class B "about" 5 years back, so I'd go through your old paperwork, and make sure that it's been at least 5 years. If you didn't keep any of that paperwork (which you should have), then just go ahead and apply, the worst case is that you're denied, and they may be able to give you a copy of your records to let you know when to re-apply.

Comment

I believe it takes a felony to keep you from gun purchasing. They're more strict with the CHL. If the misdemeanor was violent then it may be an issue, but thats speculation. I agree that you should to ask DPS.

Comment

I believe the eligibility timer starts when your probation/deferred status ends. So if you were convicted 5 years ago, but you were probation for 2, then you still have those 2 years to wait. You will also need court documents showing the case and status of the case. That goes for any arrest. No matter what it was for. Full disclosure of ANY criminal history is required when applying.

Comment

Working...
                  X