22lr or 38 Revolver for Snakeshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22lr or 38 Revolver for Snakeshot

Alright, y'alls recommendations have not failed me in the past so I'm looking to narrow down the field again. (BTW, thanks for helping in the past)

Where I live now it's known to be fairly heavy with copperheads...etc. I have some shotguns and such, but I wanted some more guns for the wife to use safely (there are houses nearby), that she's comfortable with and that she'd not need to get close to any snakes. We'll keep on in the garage and one in a spot for the backyard.

Anyway, for snake shot I'm thinking 22lr or 38 for it.

1st question: As I understand it - I could buy .357s and load 38 snake shot -is that correct?

2nd question: Would you recommend 22 or 38 snake shot?

I was thinking about buying a nice .357 and some cheaper 22. I've always wanted a decent (read, 4-600 dollars) .357 wheel gun, but never had a real reason to buy one. Now I do. I wish SAs could cycle snakeshot - we have a G19 that she is already a great shot with and she loves it.

Anyway, besides caliber - I am looking for recommendations. The 22 revolvers do not seem to be much cheaper than 38s. I'd imagine the 38s would have more projectiles as well. However, I'm looking for something that won't have a ton of power, ricochet much...etc. The houses are somewhat close, but not THAT close.

Appreciate any input. As said, we already have a 12ga - but after analyzing my house situation a little more - I think something a little lower powered is needed.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

I used to shoot snakes in the ponds at my folks place and from experiance I would certainly go with the .38. You can stuff a lot more #9's in a .38 than you can a .22

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
    East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
    https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

I use it in my .357 but have never used .38 shot shell. the .357 has a big pattern

Comment

Ruger sp101 in .357.
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Go with the .357. All of the double action .22 revolvers that are worth a shit cost as much if not more then a .357 revolver.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I like the Bond Snakeslayer .45 LC/.410. If two shots isn't enough then you throw that hunk of steel!
            Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
            Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Taurus Judge, 45lc/.410, holds 5 shots, you can get a longer barrel or a short barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                Go with the .357. All of the double action .22 revolvers that are worth a shit cost as much if not more then a .357 revolver.
                Pretty much this.

I have never understood why, but a quality 22lr DA revolver is just as much as a centerfire counterpart.
                Originally posted by lincolnboy
                After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Yeah, was noticing that this morning. I've priced 38/357s and saw the decent 22s seemed similar cost wise.

Guess I'll start shopping .357s.

Thanks for all the input.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                    I like the Bond Snakeslayer .45 LC/.410. If two shots isn't enough then you throw that hunk of steel!
                    Or $99 for a new Leinad .45/.410 that can be kept in a tool or tackle box, without guilt.

Stevo
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

KelTec PMR30- 30 round 22mag pistol- seems like a good 'dirt gun'. About $319 last I checked and ammo is cheap

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                        KelTec PMR30- 30 round 22mag pistol- seems like a good 'dirt gun'. About $319 last I checked and ammo is cheap
                        Maybe in a few years when the supply catches up with the demand! Saw one NIB for 500 on Gun Trader. Hard to find, when you do the owner thinks it made of gold!

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                          Or $99 for a new Leinad .45/.410 that can be kept in a tool or tackle box, without guilt.

Stevo
                          Shit, that ain't DFWMustangs balla style!
                          Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                          Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                            Maybe in a few years when the supply catches up with the demand! Saw one NIB for 500 on Gun Trader. Hard to find, when you do the owner thinks it made of gold!
                            Cdnninvestments. 299

Comment

Working...
                            X