Gun newbie, where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun newbie, where to start?

I'm sure it comes as a shock to most people that frequent this forum that there are some of us who have never fired a gun. I've never fired a gun (other than a bb/pellet gun & paintball) but it's something that interests me and I've always wanted to do. I just have never had any friends or acquaintances that were into it, so never really had the opportunity.

What would you recommend a newbie that was starting out and was interested in learning more about firearms? I would like to eventually get a CHL, have a few handguns for home defense and recreational use, and maybe do some hunting.

Could I just go to a shooting range? Do they rent guns that you can try out? I'd like to purchase a gun as well, but not sure where to even start.

Any advice would be appreciated.

First gun, shot gun....

Most indoor ranges rent guns. Targetmasters in Garland is one that I know has a decent selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
      I'm sure it comes as a shock to most people that frequent this forum that there are some of us who have never fired a gun. I've never fired a gun (other than a bb/pellet gun & paintball) but it's something that interests me and I've always wanted to do. I just have never had any friends or acquaintances that were into it, so never really had the opportunity.

What would you recommend a newbie that was starting out and was interested in learning more about firearms? I would like to eventually get a CHL, have a few handguns for home defense and recreational use, and maybe do some hunting.

Could I just go to a shooting range? Do they rent guns that you can try out? I'd like to purchase a gun as well, but not sure where to even start.

Any advice would be appreciated.
      A lot of ranges will "rent" you a range officer to teach you firearm basics and fundimentals. I know Shoot Smart has a good "first time shooters" course. It is one on one with an instructor. But if you don't wanna pay for that, there are plenty of people here that enjoy introducing people to the wonderful world shooting.

Where do you live? If Keller is not too far for you, I wouldn't mind letting you blast some of my blasters.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I live in Haltom City, work in South Fort Worth. Only shooting range I know of off the top of my head is the Alpine Shooting Range.

Comment

^best advice

find someone on here that will let you go with them to the range or their property

Comment

Depending on where you are at DFW gun range rents guns, targetmasters. Or watch here for a "range gathering" and there are plenty of people here that'll let you try out what they have. I took my chl class before purchasing my pistol, I rented one of the ranges XD9's, to see how I liked it. If you are on the east side of the metroplex I don't have a big selection but I'd got a couple things you could shoot too.
            92 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
              I live in Haltom City, work in South Fort Worth. Only shooting range I know of off the top of my head is the Alpine Shooting Range.
              If you want to come up to the north side and shoot let me know. I am available everyday to shoot before 2p but Sunday.

I can bring a large enough variety we can find something you like.

Just saw Haltom City. You are down the street from me anyways.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Kenny I'm in the same boat. Never shot a REAL gun in my life I'm 24.

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                  Don't feel too bad I just bought my first handgun for my 34th birthday.
                  92 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                    Aww, come on, dude! We'll get you shooting in no time!
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Just like Chop said First Gun (Home Defense)= SHOTGUN.

Get something like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 convertible. I have the 500A convertible. 18.5 inch barrel for home and 27.5 bird barrel. Barrel change takes all of 30 seconds. Pull the plug for home use and put it back for bird hunting.

All too often I come across people wanting a pistol for home protection and I shake my head. All too often they think a pistol is fairly easy to shoot as a first weapon and they will be able to hit a moving perp at 2am from a dead sleep in the dark.

F that!

I put around 750 pistol rounds downrange each month and I will never grab my pistol first in the middle of the night.

Mine is pretty simple with a simple push button light attached and a 5 round holder on the stock. It's strange to hear but I have actually pied off walls and hallways in the dark in my house, with and without the flashlight on, looking for light coming through windows. I would rather be overprepared for an encounter than not being able to defend my family one day.

It's nocturnal. She likes to sleep in the safe throughout the day then stands at attention directly next to the bed all night, ready to protect. Hell, I've even taken her out to the skeet range with the security barrel just to practice profiency.

Good luck!!

Comment

You'll learn that opinions are many on forums and no one is really wrong. IMHO, the basic 3 are needed. Handgun, shotgun and hunting rifle. After that start getting into whatever you want otherwise.

In our household, I was overseas so the wife got her CHL and we had a handgun first. Depending on your situation the handgun maybe more sensible for a first weapon. The advantages to a shotgun are numerous for home defense and they are a blast to shoot. Probably my favorite type of gun to shoot. However, I still maintain a handgun for primary home defense. Why?

-Main reason as of now is I have toddlers. So I can keep a handgun in a small safe on the side of the bed. Quick access, it is secure and I practice with it a fair amount that I feel comfortable with it.

-Secondary reason is it's the only gun in the house that the wife is 100% comfortable with shooting and I'm not home a fair amount.

Every family/need is different.

Shotgun:
                        In my opinion this is the best and most versatile gun to have...

-Clay/skeet shooting
                        -Hunting
                        -Just blasting crap
                        -Home defense (if applicable)
                        -Killing snakes/varmints

Recommend a pump to start with. However, I don't have a huge gun budget and this is the only gun type I have more than one of as of now. Pump and O/U, and I will be adding a SA w/o a doubt. All 12ga, but I want to start buying into a 20ga or two eventually.

Hunting rifle - nuff said in general. I do like these types of rifles for practicing with (other than hunting), maintaining good shoot posture/mechanics and so forth.

After those, in my opinion you have the foundation to a good gun collection and can start figuring out what you want next. Maybe a mouse gun, maybe an AR/or something like it (HK variants...etc), or go crazy with an MG42 or something.

Remember do your homework, use other people's guns (I typically buy ammo for good manners) to see what you like or hate and so on. If you decide on a shotgun for home defense, you can get into that CHEAP. However, a lot of short barrel shotguns are limited in usefulness - so decide if you want a long barrel gun, or want to swap barrels...etc...etc.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by WstTexas View Post
                          Just like Chop said First Gun (Home Defense)= SHOTGUN.

Get something like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 convertible. I have the 500A convertible. 18.5 inch barrel for home and 27.5 bird barrel. Barrel change takes all of 30 seconds. Pull the plug for home use and put it back for bird hunting.

All too often I come across people wanting a pistol for home protection and I shake my head. All too often they think a pistol is fairly easy to shoot as a first weapon and they will be able to hit a moving perp at 2am from a dead sleep in the dark.

F that!

I put around 750 pistol rounds downrange each month and I will never grab my pistol first in the middle of the night.

Mine is pretty simple with a simple push button light attached and a 5 round holder on the stock. It's strange to hear but I have actually pied off walls and hallways in the dark in my house, with and without the flashlight on, looking for light coming through windows. I would rather be overprepared for an encounter than not being able to defend my family one day.

It's nocturnal. She likes to sleep in the safe throughout the day then stands at attention directly next to the bed all night, ready to protect. Hell, I've even taken her out to the skeet range with the security barrel just to practice profiency.

Good luck!!
                          agreed. I load the rounds in my shotgun, and they are really hot buckshot.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Damn, wish I had come across this thread early. I just went up to Bass Pro yesterday and popped off some rounds. You could have shot a decent little .22. I have. Fun gun, no kick, nice entry level gun.
                            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Get a cheap ass shotgun for home defense. That way if you do actually have to use it the police don't take your $800 hand gun from you, never to be seen again...
                              www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X