AR-10 upper lower fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR-10 upper lower fit

ok after effing around with my scope / reticle alignment problems i noticed I have a significant amount of slop between my DPMS upper/lower.

It's mainly all left to right, not up and down.
    Doesn't seem to affect the shooting or accuracy any , but it annoys me.

So what can i do to fix this ?
    i was thinking have a friend TIG an aluminum spot on each side of the upper, then file fit it to the lower tight enough, but still easy to get the rear pin in.

finally refinish it. My upper needs refinishing anyway, since it has a decent scratch on one side.

it's bad enough that you can see the reticle cant one way or the other pushing on the upper. That shit drives me crazy.
    Sound good ?

A lot of trouble for little gain...

There is a product, cant remember the name, that you can buy to fix the slop between the upper and lower. Works like a shim between the 2 to take out the play...

I'm sure someone else will know the name of it and point you towards where to get it.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
      A lot of trouble for little gain...

There is a product, cant remember the name, that you can buy to fix the slop between the upper and lower. Works like a shim between the 2 to take out the play...

I'm sure someone else will know the name of it and point you towards where to get it.
      Accuwedge and it won't necessarily do much.

Comment

i looked at accuwedge but it looks like it goes in the middle.
        I don't really see how that would help left to right play.
        Definitely would work for slop in the verticle between the halves.

any other ideas?
        i'd throw the five bucks at and try but it seems like i would have to take it in and out every time you seperate the halves. that's kind of annoying too. Also feeling a little burnt since I just threw away a 10$ sks 'recoil buffer'! useless POS....

Comment

Accuwedge will do what you want. The one I had in mine from the PO I took out and tossed in the garbage. It was causing a little bit of binding/drag on the bolt assembley when it would recoil and it doesn't really help accuracy.

It goes in the very rear of the lower reciever under the square piece the rear take down pin goes though. Takes up the space.

How many other ARs have you owned? If you have owned other ARs does it feel excessive compared to the them?
          2004 Suzuki DL650
          1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

ok then let me give it a try. im not wanting much honestly, just not to be able to grab it and so easily twist it. just too damn sloppy imo.
            5$ , if that don't work ill do the file fit.....and repaint

Comment

I have Accuwedge in both my AR10s and it tightened them right up. I had to sand mine down though to make them fit.
              sigpic

Comment

DPMS made the wedge b/c they all have slop. typicaly DPMS quality
                besides its not really an ar10 b/c its DPMS model ;-)

overall it shouldnt effect accuracy, unless its really bad.

you could also try an o-ring or rear tensioning pin

Comment

I've found AR10's on average have considerably less consistency between machined parts. That's why I usually recommend buying a complete AR10 instead of trying to build one. Usually building one costs more, and you get this kind of slop. Every manufacturer seems to do it a little bit different. If you're going to have your friend TIG up the joint to tighten it, just make sure he watches the heat so he doesn't discolor the anodizing.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

JP sells an offset pin that pulls the upper and lower together better. That might be an option, if the accuwedge doesn't work.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                      JP sells an offset pin that pulls the upper and lower together better. That might be an option, if the accuwedge doesn't work.
                      That sounds like a much better option honestly.

Sent from my iPhone
                      2004 Suzuki DL650
                      1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

eh ill just try the accuwedge. I don't mind filing a little on the accuwedge if it will work.

Definitely not affecting accuracy as far as I can tell, it shoots all good ammo into 1" of various weights. So not complaining one bit. Pretty happy with DPMS overall, but I knew this years ago when range reviews starting poping up everywhere with their rifles all doing 1 MOA

I purchased a AAC NSM muzzle brake for my bday. Well if that shit ever gets in stock!
                        looks like this

Comment

Working...
                        X