Polymer lowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toy Cobra View Post
    Who is selling them local for $99. I might pick up a couple more.

Who would pay more for less?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Don't knock it till you try it. Fit and finish is perfect. I put Magpul furniture on mine and it makes for a nice very light AR build.

Comment

I'm not very knowledgeable in the AR world but what's the appeal of a polymer lower?
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

For me it was weight then price.

Comment

Weight savings better be substantial. You can do better on price as well if you're gonna throw magpul furniture on it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              I'm not very knowledgeable in the AR world but what's the appeal of a polymer lower?
              The lower doesnt have much pressure/force applied to it when shooting. so going to a polymer allows for the cost of mfring, it is also lighter.

Those 2 reasons are why people buy them. Whether they have any structural issues is debatable since failures are made more public than the success stories.

Comment

too bad there isn't some magical way to lighten up an ar-10
                that would be cool. just the BCG weighs a ton more than an ar-15's

Comment

I weighed my PSA lower with magpul stuff vs. the the NFA and it was about 8oz different.

Comment

e

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                    The lower doesnt have much pressure/force applied to it when shooting. so going to a polymer allows for the cost of mfring, it is also lighter.

Those 2 reasons are why people buy them. Whether they have any structural issues is debatable since failures are made more public than the success stories.
                    I understand that there's no pressure to little on the lower but is the weight savings that large.

Comment

Don't knock it till you try it. Fit and finish is perfect. I put Magpul furniture on mine and it makes for a nice very light AR build.
                      I've tried them, I think they are pretty crappy. Barrel profile can cut 3x the weight than a plastic lower.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I stand corrected.

Comment

I stand corrected.
                          I use to advocate polymer lowers for the advantages you described, but a lot more manufacturers came into the fold and a lot more problems started to pop up. My neighbor bought one and the rear cracked like many do, and since then I can't recommend them anymore.

Comment

i picked one up, i figure for a dedicated 22lr setup, it will be perfect & inexpensive.
                            the reports i have found thus far, have been significantly better than vulcan (anything is better than these guys) & plum crazy

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              I've tried them, I think they are pretty crappy. Barrel profile can cut 3x the weight than a plastic lower.
                              Truth.

The combination of the weight out at the end of the barrel and the major chunks of steel being cut (either pencil or M4 profile).

Hence why for my wife I went M4 14.7 with a pinned flashhider on a polymer lower. Easy for her to cart around... and I'll admit I can hold it a lot more while standing.

But... a lot more felt recoil (I'm tempted to to mess with the buffers) vs. the 20" that I shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X