Gun safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun safe

Last night I was checking craigslist for a gun safe. I came close to grabbing one that I had negotiated down to $750 but I did not have my truck so I waited. Well after work last night I went to academy and was surprised to find they had a big ass american eagle gun safe that weighs 700lbs and is fire rated on clearance for $750. They only had the display available and knocked another 15% off so it came out to 690$ after tax. From what i have been seeing out there this was a great freaking deal! So if you are on the market be sure to check Academy. I can't post pics but its a black model with a gold wheel and digital lock.

Originally posted by ARIX View Post
    Last night I was checking craigslist for a gun safe. I came close to grabbing one that I had negotiated down to $750 but I did not have my truck so I waited. Well after work last night I went to academy and was surprised to find they had a big ass american eagle gun safe that weighs 700lbs and is fire rated on clearance for $750. They only had the display available and knocked another 15% off so it came out to 690$ after tax. From what i have been seeing out there this was a great freaking deal! So if you are on the market be sure to check Academy. I can't post pics but its a black model with a gold wheel and digital lock.
    GAH! I hate you! That is a steal! How many guns does it hold? Dimensions?

Good deal!

I am waiting to get into my new house before I drop coin on a nice safe. All I have right now is a stack-on, but I want one with a door kit and possibly lighting/electricity (for my soon to be installed home security DVR)

Edit: Link to the one you negotiated down to $750?

Comment

Originally posted by ARIX View Post
      I have one, and it seems fine. I think mine is a 12(?) gun. They are not kidding about the 700lbs either, that biotch is heavy.
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Check out Tractor Supply. The Canon 24 gun is $100 cheaper there than at Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Marss View Post
          Check out Tractor Supply. The Canon 24 gun is $100 cheaper there than at Academy.
          truth
          Photobucket

Comment

bought my 26 gun (Liberty) Cabela's Woodsman for $799 last year

Comment

I'm confused on the "fire rating" aspect. Are they saying the contents of the safe are "safe" or that the fire will not damage the contents?
              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

The Costco 40+ gun Winchester safes generally are the best deals at 750-850 dollars. (Going up a little every year)

Darren, the fire rating is for the contents of the safe. Some of the more expensive safes even insure the contents and will pay for anything damaged. The one case I know of, the expensive safe did fail and they did reimburse. However, it's why I did not stress spending 5K on a safe. I put the irreplaceable stuff inside another fireproof box for safekeeping.

As far as I remember for these safes, there are no real industry standards. So they sort of use their own "testing" and funny numbers for their ratings.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Start at about 2:20 for safe info. I know it's a long video but there is some good info.
                  [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&feature=g-like[/ame]

Comment

Have not watched the video, but I've watched many different videos on them. Just remember it's like guns in general. A negative for one person, is a positive for another and then sometimes it comes down to bang for buck. There is no one safe that is perfect for all with it all combined.

Comment

pretty good video i thought. The guy is very fair and explains the whys you would buy all different kind of safes. good info in there
                      confirmed all my thoughts on the cheap safes out there.
                      he explains the four ways ppl break into safes too, so very handy

Comment

Great video! Thanks for posting it. I guess I'm at the "kids" stage as the value of my gun "collection" is less than a grand.
                        Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

I will say I love those graffunder safes.

Edit: I just watched the whole video and there are no lies there. I still say the Costco 40--something gun safe is a great value. There are little things you can do to assist with make the safe difficult to break into. In that safe shop in Garland, I saw EXPENSIVE safes that were busted into one way or another.

If you have the 4+ grand to spend on a great safe and it's worth it to you - you're certainly getting a good safe. What I do recommend against, is spending 1500-2500 dollars are a highly marked up safe from some of these places that are no better than a Costco Winchester safe (made by same company, rebranded...etc).

As posted above, at a certain point and regardless of how heavy their fire rating won't matter. I've considered a lot of things to help protect things in there, but at the end of the day - fire damage is possible. The more expensive though, in theory the more likely to resist amateur attempts at theft/breaking in.

The HUGE thing I loved about those Graffunder safes is that you can hardly slide a business card between the door/frame - no way you're prying it open. Most others have enough of a gap to get some sort of pry bar in there, even the pricier ones.

Also recommend external hinges. Some people will disagree, but it is nice top be able to fully open the door.
                          Last edited by ceyko; 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X