DFW Gunsmith familiar with SA XDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFW Gunsmith familiar with SA XDM

I'm looking to get some new night sights put on, likely the Trijicon HDs. I've read some nightmare stories about getting the original SA XDM sights off and installing new ones. All the threads I've gone through emphasize the importance of the gunsmith having experience with them. I was going to try Elk Castle or Winchester, but I couldn't find much info. on their gunsmiths. Any recommendations in the DFW area?
    Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

I can tell you who not to go to, and that's Elk Castle. Dropped a pistol off with them for repairs, they had it for three weeks and nothing got done. Every time I called it was a different story: we've looked at it, we haven't gotten to it yet, we ordered the parts for it, we can't figure it out but we will. After three weeks I just went and picked it up and they still hadn't even looked at it.

Comment

Gt distributors in Dallas installs XD sights for 25, 15 if you buy from them

Comment

I don't know if he has experience the XDm, but Tony over in the building across the parking lot from Winchester Gallary is a good guy and very knowledgeable about firearms. I used to work with him back in college, next time I'm in dfw I plan on dropping off my XD for him to do some trigger work on it.

Tony Fitch
        817-507-0069

Comment

Why not send it to SA Custom shop and have the work done? $129 for what you want.

Comment

I spoke to Tony Fitch, which does the smithing work for Winchester Gallery. He said he had plenty of experience with SA XD/XDm. He charges $20 to install sights, free if you buy them at Winchester. If he messes the new ones up or breaks them, he'll warranty them. He did say sometimes the factory ones get messed up upon removal though. They sell the Trijicon HDs for 149.99, which isn't bad considering the best price on the net is still ~$126 with free shipping, but then you'll have to pay $20-35 for the install.

I thought about sending it in, but seems extreme for something that would take < 1 hour. Maybe if I was doing trigger work or something more extensive, etc. In case I have issues I'd like to use a local smith, plus it would be good to have a regular one I could turn to in the future if need be.
            Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Glad he could help you, Tony is one of those no bullshit kind of guys that will tell you exactly how it is. I always try and go have a beer with him when I'm in DFW.

Comment

Working...
              X