Florida cops kill innocent man at his own home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida cops kill innocent man at his own home

Ya...for those that thought the Indiana law had no merit...

Hearing a knock on his door at 1:30 am, a perplexed Florida man answered the door to see what kind of unannounced visitors were outside. Holding a gun for security, 26-year old Andrew Scott was instantly shot dead by police after he opened the door.

It took the Lake County Police Department an hour and a half to realize they had killed an innocent man.

“There’s things I would have done differently, but you never know when you wake up out of a sleep and somebody’s knocking on your door,” a neighbor told Fox 35 News. “You don’t know what’s going on.”

The police had been searching for Jonathan Brown and an accomplice, who had attacked a man in the street and attempted to smash a cinder block on his head before being stopped by a passerby. Being pursued by deputies, the attempted murderer escaped, and Florida police began their search.

Seeing Brown’s motorcycle parked outside of Scott’s building, they quietly approached, refraining from announcing themselves outside of the wrongly suspected attacker’s door to avoid scaring him off. Upon seeing the man’s gun, the police opened fire, leaving multiple bullet holes in his door as they killed the innocent man. Neighbors awoke to the sound of gunfire and screams from the victim’s girlfriend.

“I was in bed and heard about seven or eight gunshots. Got up, looked outside the window, by that time you heard a woman screaming,” a neighbor told Fox 35 News.

After realizing their mistake, police found 31-year old Brown in the building next door and arrested him.

Neighbors said Scott was a nice guy, and find the mix-up a sad mistake. The police department says it would not have opened fire if the man had not been holding a gun, but neighbors want to know why the authorities didn’t identify themselves at the door.

But Scott was just one of many victims of police pursuits each year. In the U.S., innocent bystanders account for a third of those killed in police chases, according to USA TODAY. Each year, 360 people are killed in high-speed chases. While Scott was killed in another manner, his death shows the level of carelessness sometimes found in police departments while pursuing a suspect.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

The police department says it would not have opened fire if the man had not been holding a gun, but neighbors want to know why the authorities didn’t identify themselves at the door.
    Holy shit that statement pisses me off. FTP

Comment

Every officer there needs first degree murder charges not a single decent cop can defend their actions and be considered a good cop. There is no excuse for this at all he has a right to defend his home from aggressive criminals just a shame he couldn't kill some of that scum before he was murdered in cold blood on purpose.

Comment

This story is up to five pages in the back porch.

Comment

Matt says it's the dead guy's fault
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

We haven't heard the door's side of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              Matt says it's the dead guy's fault
              No surprise.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I'm not excusing the cops on this one, but who just opens their door blindly at 1:30 am?

Comment

Cops in this case need to be charged with 1st degree murder, criminal tresspass, discharging a firearm in city limits, and every other charge they can come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandkid View Post
                    I'm not excusing the cops on this one, but who just opens their door blindly at 1:30 am?
                    The man with the gun....
                    Originally posted by Sean88gt
                    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

fucking ridiculous.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I would expect to go to jail forever if I did that to someone. Why should an LEO not? They killed someone for having a gun in his own home. I always have my 12GA when I hear a noise at night, so I would have suffered the same fate.

Comment

Kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandkid View Post
                            I wouldn't open the door at 1:30am, but I guarantee I would be on the other side with a .45acp waiting for it to be kicked open. So more than likely the first cop would be dead and the ones following him would end up killing me.

Comment

Working...
                            X