Butscher's vs Crossbreed Holsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butscher's vs Crossbreed Holsters

I recently found a Texas company making holsters similar to Crossbreed, and after reading a little about them I decided to give them a try and thought I would write a short review for you guys since there are a lot of CHL holders in here.

The two holsters I will be comparing are the Crossbreed Mini Tuck for a Kahr CW9, and the Butscher's Double Clip Hybrid holster for a Glock 19, both in horsehide.

http://www.butschersleather.com/products/ordering

http://crossbreedholsters.com/SuperT...me,ProductName

If both Holsters were purchased for a Glock 19 with horsehide(that would need a Crossbreed Supertuck), the Crossbreed would run you $85 plus shipping. The Butschers was about $55 shipped. Crossbreed times vary 4 weeks plus, but I ordered the Butscher's holster on a Saturday and it was in my mailbox on Wednesday. Also of note, Butscher's is a Texas company and located in the DFW area, so you will be saving money, time, and buying locally, which are all three big pluses to me.

I have several months wear on my Crossbreed, and even at close to $100 it has been an excellent holster which has given me ZERO issues; I would still recommend this company to anyone shopping for a holster. However, when compared side by side I am forced to give the upper hand to the Butscher's holster for now.

For the pictures below, Crossbreed is on the left, Butscher's is on the right.

Leather and Kydex thickness is about the same. Butscher's has a bit more leather behind the gun, but the Crossbreed's kydex covers a bit more surface area. If either get the upper hand in this area it would be the Butscher's just for having slightly more leather between my skin and the gun. Both holsters about about the same total size.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The major difference I noticed was the mounting hardware. The Crossbreed belt clips are longer and look like they will allow your gun to sit lower inside your pants, but the Butscher's uses recessed screws and I prefer that option. When I first received my Crossbreed one of the screw heads had been damaged during assembly and had a piece of metal that would pull at my pants; a file fixed it but it seems like the Butscher's recessed screws would help prevent that if you were to slip when screwing them down.

The other difference you will notice is the Crossbreed uses larger rivets to mount the kydex to the leather; this may mean a longer life but I won't be sure of that until I wear them both until one breaks.

When I received the Crossbreed it had a very loose retention; crossbreed gives you instructions on how to tighten it up and I was able to follow them easily and tighten it. When I ordered the Butscher's holster, I specifically asked for tight retention, and they listened well. My Bustcher's holster has a tighter retention than my Crossbreed ever thought about having, which I prefer. This, of course, is all personal preference and some of you may prefer a looser retention.

It is important to know that I have yet to wear the Butscher's holster since I just received it today. I plan to update this review after I have time to compare the two fairly. However, at this point I must give the edge and recommendation to the Butscher's holster. It is local, has faster production and shipping, costs approximately half as much as the Crossbreed, and craftsmanship so far appears to be on par with the Crossbreed. Make no mistake; the Crossbreed is still an excellent holster and I am sure it will serve me for many years, but all things considered, the Butscher's appears to be a better deal when all things are considered.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Nice review. Interested to see what you think after wearing it.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

holy forward can't on the crossbreed.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
        holy forward can't on the crossbreed.
        Yeah I tried it at several different cants and I eventually settled on the most severe. I just set the Butschers up to the most severe cant as well since I know that is what I preferred with the Crossbreed.

Comment

do you wear it at 4:00-5:00?

Comment

If you want to change the clips on the Butschers I am almost positive you'd be able to find some at The Leather Factory. When I made mine I had to use shorter clips because my FNL didn't have the longer ones like the Crossbreed uses.
            92 LX 5.0

Comment

The cross breed looks like it was made better thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                do you wear it at 4:00-5:00?
                It depends on what I am doing. If I am sitting and driving for a long period of time it usually ends up at 6:00 for comfort. Most of the time it is usually at 5:00 or so, though before I started carrying on a regular basis I never thought about it, but my pants are the single biggest decider on where I carry. Every manufacturer has their belt loops in a slightly different place, so my holster only fits certain ways with certain pants. If I am standing or walking most of the time I can carry around 4:00 - 5:00 with no issues, but if I am sitting very much then I have to think about it more; just really depends on what I am doing. That is all with a Kahr CW9, though, and with a thicker Glock that is sure to change.

Comment

Well I took a chance and went ahead and bought one. At $50 it is relatively inexpensive if it doesn't work out, which is the reason I haven't ponied up for a crossbreed yet. I got a belt as well.

Excited to try it out. I normally just pocket carry my LCP because it is simple, but I really want to give my full size Beretta a shot and see how it does.
                  "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                  -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I Bought a butschers horse hide iwb for my cdpii and i must admit it is very comfortable. He dyed it a darker brown at no extra cost. Ive worn it during these hot ass days and i must say the horse hide has made sweating virtually nill. You cant tell ive got it on and the retention is awesome.... Nice and secure. I recieved it very quick as well 2-3 days. I dont own a crossbreed to make a comparison as far as the comfort goes, but the savings in the price and quickness in delivery sealed the deal for me. Judging from photos of both styles they look almost the same. Needless to say i am pleased.
                    Last edited by 4.6coupe; 07-31-2012, 11:43 AM.
                    ./ ____ _ _\.
                    (]]]_ o _[[[)
                    \o_FORD_o/
                    |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

I have been wearing the Butschers holster for the past couple weeks and Im very happy with it. I own the crossbreed too, along with a couple comptac holsters. I like the comptac the best, but for the price the Butscher is a hell of a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                        I have been wearing the Butschers holster for the past couple weeks and Im very happy with it. I own the crossbreed too, along with a couple comptac holsters. I like the comptac the best, but for the price the Butscher is a hell of a bargain.
                        It sure seems like it.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

its been posted before but........

You can pick up holsters for about 50% off and without the wait time. Mine was 48 shipped for horsehide supertuck and it got to me in 4 days. Although, the head guy from Crossbreed died recently so don't know that's going to affect the company

Comment

Nice review! I have a HarWell Holster and really like it. Great quality. They also sell replacement clips if you need them.https://www.harwellholsters.com/products

Comment

Well I thought I would post an update after having had a chance to wear the Butscher's holster. Once the leather conformed to my body, I honestly cannot tell a difference between two when I am wearing them. The only difference I was able to notice at all was the thickness of the guns (double stack glock vs a single stack kahr).

I wore the Butscher's with the Glock in it it during a 6 hour drive a few weekends ago, which of course involved me shifting my body weight all over the place while driving, getting in and out of the car to refuel, putting my son in and out of the car seat, pulling crap out of the back for my wife, and doing quite a bit of walking, and not once did the Butscher shift on me at all. I take that back; another difference I can notice is the Butscher's holds my gun more securely than the Crossbreed since I asked for tighter retention.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not even bother paying the higher price for the Crossbreed, even though it has been a great holster. The Butscher's does everything I need at about half the price, and is made in Texas with faster shipping.

Two thumbs up for the Butscher's.

Comment

Working...
                              X