Adam Arms piston kit failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $90 fucking dollars.... lol!
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
      $90 fucking dollars.... lol!
      That buffer tube looks like it would solve any carrier tilt related issue with its taper. $40 seems pretty reasonable.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
        That buffer tube looks like it would solve any carrier tilt related issue with its taper. $40 seems pretty reasonable.
        I can't see the tube, it's blocked from my office, I just saw the $90 buffer.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Well, I received a new BCG from Adam's Arms. Which I thought was odd when I showed them the problems I was having, he immediately said it was caused by burrs on the carrier. Well, it seems pretty obvious what the problem was. The BCG was machined wrong they originally sent me. The buffer detent channel is about .04" too shallow, the new one is in line with factory AR15 spec. Looks like they built the BCG wrong.

Comment

• Did you say forty thousandths? That's a lot

Comment

• Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
              Did you say forty thousandths? That's a lot
              No, I meant .040" It's ridiculously wrong. Anyone can pick it up an see it clear as day.

Comment

• .040" is forty thousandths.

Comment

.040" is forty thousandths.
                  Yes, that's what I meant, sorry, the "No" should have been a "Yes" We're both talking about the same number.

Comment

• Ha, gotcha that is a lot either way.

Comment

Ha, gotcha that is a lot either way.
                      Not only that but the entire bolt is machined differently. The rear has an inner chamfer, the previous bolt did not. I'll see how it does. Hopefully this gun works properly from here out.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Not only that but the entire bolt is machined differently. The rear has an inner chamfer, the previous bolt did not. I'll see how it does. Hopefully this gun works properly from here out.
                        I need to look at the three I have at home and compare the construction.

Hope this one finally works for ya. The only time I had an issue was that c-clip breaking. Then again you were there. You might have some sort of bad mojo when it comes to gas piston ARs.

I still have that unused pistol op rod and kit. I think I am going to by a mid length rod and build another middy gun.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          I need to look at the three I have at home and compare the construction.

Hope this one finally works for ya. The only time I had an issue was that c-clip breaking. Then again you were there. You might have some sort of bad mojo when it comes to gas piston ARs.

I still have that unused pistol op rod and kit. I think I am going to by a mid length rod and build another middy gun.
                          lol maybe so. Hopefully this actually fixes my problem.

Comment

• You know with something like that with as well known as a company as they are I would not think would be made on an individual basis. I am wondering how many more are out there like that. It's not like the machinist screwed up on that one part. It's more likely that their automated processes or the vendor that makes those for them screwed up a whole batch.

Comment

You know with something like that with as well known as a company as they are I would not think would be made on an individual basis. I am wondering how many more are out there like that. It's not like the machinist screwed up on that one part. It's more likely that their automated processes or the vendor that makes those for them screwed up a whole batch.
                              I'm sure. Here is his reply to my initial pictures:

"The buffer on the other hand is not normal and usually when we see this kind of damage it’s because the carrier has burrs on the end. Not because of carrier tilt. If you would like us to send you a new buffer and carrier we could do that."
                              So, he immediately focused on the BCG, and the burrs don't make sense. Now, they might identify their bad carriers because they did not chamfer the interior of the carrier, but the problem is the detent grove. That is just a machining error plane as day. I actually eyeballed the grove and determined it to be about .040" I got out my caliper last night and measured it, it's .046" so a little more than it looks like. So it was catching the buffer detent and smashing the pin into the carrier causing indents all over it. It's possible however that the crescent wear pattern on the buffer is the result of the carrier not being chamfered.

Comment

• Is it a possibility that they are unaware up to this point that an manufacturing issue even exist? I doubt your BCG is the only one like that. Hell I keep tighter tolerances than forty six thousandths building speaker boxes out of MDF board.

Comment

Working...
                                X