No announcement yet.

The official 2012 deer hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me too, thats why i dont have any tree's.

But i really do want to plant some. a circle with a box blind in the middle haha.

Comment

• When I thro this winter wheat do I need to fertilize or lime or anything? ( I know this is all dependent on the soil and I know nothing about the soil besides its not currently plowed or anythings. Just imagine walking out of a barn and using the ground right there

I also know nothing about farming so anything I say or ask is based on the interwebs
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

• Dude just throw it on the ground and itll grown.

Rake it under will help plant it, but ive got so much of it i just throw it around like candy,

A bushel of wheat will plant darn near a acre with 12-15 seeds per foot.

Your looking for something fast and will be green when everything else is brown.

Comment

• Perfect! That's what I hoped you would say

Last question for tonight I promise haha

50lbs enough 100lbs? I found a couple of places near me that sell 50 and 100 lbs bags

Comment

• I should say about how much will 100 lbs seed. I like the size of what you posted. About how big is that? 30'x30' ish or what

Comment

• one bushel is 60 #'s

Most places sell it in 50-60 pounds units. Also check local coops for scrap grain, just to throw out. They take samples from every truck. they just dump it in a bucket and throw it out later. I pick them up for them and throw it out. Free corn

Try to spead it out as much as you can. 12-15 seeds per foot in a straight line is plenty. To thick and it will burn up in the spring, But in the fall if you throw it out thick it looks like green carpet.

EDIT.

Like i said 60#(one bushel will plant 1 acre in one of my fields)

Comment

• Thanks man

Comment

• Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                  Can I go to any feed store and ask for winter wheat? Should I get anything else like winter rye? Crimson clover? Oats?
                  If you have ask to a disc with either a tractor or ATV/UTV I would go with Oats, Winter Peas, Clover and you can even do turnips or rape. The clover will be reoccurring for a couple years, just mow it late summer. Winter Rye has very little nutritional value for whitetail, so I wouldn’t bother.

edit, I shouldnt say "I wouldnt bother" with winter rye. If you are simply looking to draw deer in, it will work like a champ. If you are looking to improve antler growth and the overall health of your herd in the future I would look for something that gives the deer a little bit more during the tougher times of the year.
                  Last edited by Pewter Y2K Z28; 09-25-2012, 07:21 AM.
                  "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
                  East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
                  https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

• Winter wheat does have nutritional value. Or they wouldnt eat it. in grain form its upwards 23-26g of protein. 90% of my sheds are found in wheat fields.

But like pewter said if you have to disk, id plant something else. Now just throwing it on the ground wheat is cheap and is green and they like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                      Winter wheat does have nutritional value. Or they wouldnt eat it.
                      It has some but not as much as the other stuff out there. They love corn and that has no nutritional value for whitetail.
                      "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
                      East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
                      https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

• corn has carbs and fat.

Comment

• Comment

• Food Plots: What you can plant now for a great fall plot! Food plots are a great way to improve property and to grow and hold more wildlife. By providing precious nutrients, and attracting a wide r…

Comment

• finally got to sit on my grain spots. Had three does come in under 30 yards. One stood behind a damn tree, so no shot, the other blew on me and flagged and ran away.

The last i was just about to climb down. Bow was already on the ground. Here come a damn doe to the pile right by the stand. 10 yards max. It was to dark to shoot even if i had my bow, but i had to wait her out.

Hopefully ill get out again soon.

Comment

• I went looking for wheat and stuff today and all I could find was some purple top turnips so I got those.. I found a place that is on the way to the deer lease that says they have winter wheat and winter Rye so I'll pick that up in the morning on the way there.

Comment

Working...
                                X