The official 2012 deer hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
    yup not far, how are the deer up there? I'm literally right on 287 and there is a truck stop right across 287 so a lot of times we go eat there... kind of ruins the fun of being in the outdoors when you eat at a restaurant, watch satelite TV and sleep in an old motor home... but it's cheap ($400 year round and that includes electric)

we try not to shoot young bucks but like I said, the neighbors, not so much.

I'll probably take a doe for some meat and wait for a good buck and if I don't see one I'll take a spike or the messed up buck someone else saw

dad said that dear above was around 140 by his measurements
    Not too bad up this way around a 140 killed each year last year a 144"(I think) and my 120" a few that were larger got passes due to the AR's though. We border 287 as well. Are you across from the kettle truck stop?
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

• The restaurant is the Hot Skillet I believe. Prob the same place you are thinking of

Any pics of your deer?

How much land do you hunt? Lease it or own it?
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

• Oh and I threw out the winter wheat. Winter rye and purple top turnips today at my stand and dads. Hope to see something growing next time I'm there

Comment

• That's it I've gotten gas there a few times when I was going to school in Waco.

Only pic I have right now is of the euro mount, so no real perspective on size. 9 of us hunt 800 acres we lease from a guys old classmate from high-school.

Comment

• Forgot I had this pick loaded up still, puts it into perspective, I'm 6' and about 190lbs.

Comment

• I thought texas has antler restrictions?

Comment

• We do. 13" rule

Comment

• A legal buck deer is defined as having a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND:
                  At least one unbranched antler; or
                  An inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater.
                  Bag limit 2 bucks: No more than 1 buck may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. [In other words, one may harvest 1 buck with at least 1 unbranched antler and 1 buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. Or, one may chose to harvest 2 bucks with at least 1 unbranched antler. BUT, one may NOT harvest 2 bucks with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater.]

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                    I thought texas has antler restrictions?
                    Most counties are under the restrictions there are a few that aren't. Like 2165 posted the guidelines are hunter judgement required in the field, I know of more than one occasion where a deer was outside the ears yet didn't meet the 13" requirement. We have to be really careful on our lease since it produces a lot of really tall racks with only around the 15"-17" inside spread.

Comment

• I like the antler restriction. At least that lets you shoot at least 2 year old bucks.

Comment

• I wish the people behind us would let them get bigger then the minimum though. That's the worst part about having family hunted land there

Oh well it is what it is

Comment

• I agree we have one person aha borders us but he hunts 8000 acres give or take a few, only problem is his young kids have taken a few young deer the last couple years. We try for a 4yr age minimum.

Comment

• Looks like we are getting a little rain at the lease hopefully we will he enough to start the growing but not so much that it washes all the seeds away

Comment

• Looks like just light showers in the area, perfect for it.

Comment

• Glad to hear

Comment

Working...
                                X