No announcement yet.

The official 2012 deer hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's interesting, first I've heard of a county adopting MLD type restrictions.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

• Yeah it sucks! We are also going to hunt in Bowie county and after Nov. 19 you cannot take an anterless deer without the MLD permit! I cannot hunt there until Nov 24 so I am screwed! LOL
      92 LX 5.0

Comment

• Originally posted by dee View Post
        That's interesting, first I've heard of a county adopting MLD type restrictions.
        Me too. Kinda scary if you ask me. I like more info on this.
        Photobucket

Comment

• 3 bucks tonight. one dink that walked right under my stand. Ill have a vid loaded shortly of that. One decent deer that will be nice next year and one i should have shot, but decided not too. I had shots on all three bucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
            Me too. Kinda scary if you ask me. I like more info on this.
            Sounds like the deer are being hunted out of the area so they put restrictions in place to make sure they still are around in the future. Long term it is a good thing. People hates AR counties and now some of the eastern AR counties are producing some amazing deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
              we saw a bunch of deer that we dont have pics of too.. we have seen as many bucks this year as we have does

if I take a spike this year I want it to be the one on the right... thoughts?

If you were in a one buck county I would not waste my tag on them, but I would cleanse the gene pool on either if I had two buck tags. Neither will ever amount to shit....

Comment

• Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                Sounds like the deer are being hunted out of the area so they put restrictions in place to make sure they still are around in the future. Long term it is a good thing. People hates AR counties and now some of the eastern AR counties are producing some amazing deer.

I know in Kaufman county they had a problem like that and only re-opened deer hunting back in the mid 90's. If I remember correctly when they first re-opened deer season it was a 1 buck only county, now you can get 2 bucks and 2 doe (if you have the MLD permits).
                92 LX 5.0

Comment

• Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
                  I know in Kaufman county they had a problem like that and only re-opened deer hunting back in the mid 90's. If I remember correctly when they first re-opened deer season it was a 1 buck only county, now you can get 2 bucks and 2 doe (if you have the MLD permits).
                  Yeah, this is the first year that Rockwall has had an actual deer season in I don't know how long.

Comment

I'm not so sure about that. LAMPS is a program where they tell you a number of doe that HAS to be killed in that year. Not a few more or a few less.

The doe population needs to be thin to help in the rut.
                    Photobucket

Comment

• You want mature bucks Go back to a single draw system for bucks.

Then you will see some monsters.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
                        I'm not so sure about that. LAMPS is a program where they tell you a number of doe that HAS to be killed in that year. Not a few more or a few less.

The doe population needs to be thin to help in the rut.
                        Exactly!
                        An over population and they up the bag count, too thin they go into management permits only. They pay biologists to figure all this shit out, I just shoot em in the face....

Comment

Exactly!
                          An over population and they up the bag count, too thin they go into management permits only. They pay biologists to figure all this shit out, I just shoot em in the face....
                          I hate to say it, but as much of a free for all i see here i dont see how they can get accurate counts. I know a few guys who only buy 2 tags every year and shoot 5-6 does every year. The dnr knows about it.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
                              I've got a quick question about bag limits on deer. If I read this right for Kaufman county I cannot shoot a doe without a special permit?

White-tailed Deer

Special Antler Restrictions
                              Archery Only: Sept. 29-Nov. 2, 2012. No permit required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLD permits have been issued for the property.
                              Bag Limit: 4 deer, no more than 2 bucks, and no more than 2 antlerless, all seasons combined.
                              General Season: Nov. 3, 2012-Jan. 6, 2013. Antlerless deer may be taken by antlerless MLD permit or LAMPS permit only.

TPWD site where I got that excerpt.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...county=Kaufman
                              MLD and LAMPS are issued to landowners. They are permits that allow you to take a certain amount of deer to manage your herd. For instance, my uncles ranch is a MLD property. He can hunt whitetail all the way through Feb. and they are required to take a certain amount of deer a year. You also dont use the same hunting license tags when taking deer off of MLD properties.
                              "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
                              East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
                              https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

• Well boys and gals. The big boy i missed Is still around. I figured he would be in the next state by now.

Dont mind the time and date the camera is on the fritz. only works when it wants.

Lets hope i get another chance at him.

Comment

Working...
                                X