The official 2012 deer hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee View Post
    I hunt with a 7mm-08AI now and also really like the 25-06 for a whitetail hunting round.

FWIW I've used everything from a 223, 22-250, 243, 6mm rem, 25-06, 7mm-08(AI'd version though), 7mm Rem mag and 30-06. All work very well the 25-06 and down require attention to bullet type being used since they all double as varmint rounds as well. My advice would be to pick something you are comfortable shooting and that you won't flinch while shooting.
    I shoot the standard 7-08 and would not hunt any other "large" caliber. I do not reload so unable to run AI, but have thought about getting a barrel and fire forming some brass to having my BIL work me up a load.

I would also have no issue taking a trophy with my 22-250.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
      We hunt big Kansas white tails with a .243 all the time. A .243 with a off the shelf corelokt will drop a deer no problem.

I use a 165 gr .308 out of a tikka t3 lite. Have dropped a few at 400 yards no problem. Shoot what you can hit something with imho. To some even a lite weight tikka like mine is to much recoil for someone who is not used to shooting a heavy recoil gun.
      I got a rem 700 .243 that ive never had an issue with, up to a doe dropped at 220 yards.

I may actually head up to AR and help out my mom's cousin. They are farmers and have a permit for deer, so long as there is a season, he can gun hunt them. They loose several thousand a year to deer, especially wheet. Id like to take my grandfather's 30-30 that I had CJ refinish, for nestalgia. I used to hunt with it rather than fly with my .243.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

So far this year i bet they have got me for 5-10k in wheat,beans, alfalfa.

The worst part is tractor tires. Got another one of my fronts the other day 200 a pop.

But im still down there throwing grain out for them

In the 80's was when it was great around here. The dnr paid us to leave our crop out for food plots. One bad winter we had a herd of 200 or so. They ate a whole row of hay bales haha. They have got it under control for the most part now. The days of the 150 inch buck behind every tree is gone. 120's are common and are usually shot.

Thats the bad part If they would be left alone they could be monsters.

Just checked my camera's. Had a couple non regular youngsters stop in to my feed spot. Check out the ones messed up bases. He could turn out to be something cool in a couple years.

Last edited by Sleeper; 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          Yeah that's excessive for deer in these parts. .300 win mag if you're shooting extreme distances, but 100-200 yards from a stand is just ridiculous.

Do you need a .300 win mag, not at all. Is it excessive, no. If you know how to shoot a deer what does it matter if you're a bit "over gunned" I use a 7mm mag and I have never lost any meat to damage. I would rather have too much gun and not need it than too little gun and lose a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by bybotie View Post
            Do you need a .300 win mag, not at all. Is it excessive, no. If you know how to shoot a deer what does it matter if you're a bit "over gunned" I use a 7mm mag and I have never lost any meat to damage. I would rather have too much gun and not need it than too little gun and lose a deer.
            Last time I saw a hunting acquaintance (best defined as a redneck yokel) shoot a buck with a .300 win mag, it blew off both front legs and opened the chest up to the point it had to be bagged into his truck. No typical deer hunter is going to have any idea how to shoot a .300 win mag to it's capability, and furthermore they will certainly not have the optics to do so.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              Last time I saw a hunting acquaintance (best defined as a redneck yokel) shoot a buck with a .300 win mag, it blew off both front legs and opened the chest up to the point it had to be bagged into his truck. No typical deer hunter is going to have any idea how to shoot a .300 win mag to it's capability, and furthermore they will certainly not have the optics to do so.
              Both front legs,huh? People who shoulder shoot(trophy hunters) deer are not interested in tasty deer sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                I shoot the standard 7-08 and would not hunt any other "large" caliber. I do not reload so unable to run AI, but have thought about getting a barrel and fire forming some brass to having my BIL work me up a load.

I would also have no issue taking a trophy with my 22-250.
                In all honesty going AI on any 308 based case does not yield much of an advantage I get 100-200fps gain in the lighter bullet stuff and only 100 on the heavy's. I like it cause I reload and going AI means very little case trims and there is some theory that they are easier on throats.

My rifle is pretty heavy not what most would consider a good hunting rifle but it doesn't bother me any, a good sling makes a world of difference. Here's a yote and my buck from last year with the rifle.

"It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Two new bucks. Its a shame on the first one, as i think he had both nice sides last year.

I have another camera 20 yards away and they didnt bother to walk by it.

Comment

Fur pile.

Comment

You just might have a coon problem
                      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Nope thats my winter fun. snaring those fuckers by the neck. Thats almost 200 bucks sitting there. I took 20 coons in a week down there last year.

Ive got a turkey problem as well. Its summer and i already have a group of 30 hanging around.
                        Last edited by Sleeper; 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I'm partial to my .270 but I have to admit that I really haven't tried out many other calibers. My dad hunts with an old Savage 270 and I've got a cheaper Mossberg ATR 270. It has never lacked in dropping power, even with using the light 130 grain off the shelf rounds. The one thing that I don't care for is the recoil after sighting in the scope. You go through a box of rounds and your shoulder is a little sore the next morning!

I have other family members that are partial to their 30-06 and I can see why.
                          Annoying people, one post at a time!

Comment

Do y'all have AR's up in Kansas or is it pretty much a shoot what you like state?

Comment

Originally posted by bybotie View Post
                              Both front legs,huh? People who shoulder shoot(trophy hunters) deer are not interested in tasty deer sausage.
                              I'm by far a "trophy hunter" I just hate losing an animal whether it has horns or not if it runs there is a possibility the shot wasn't clean and the animal will suffer and i don't want that on deer. Pigs are an entirely different scenario as far as the land owners go I better take a shot at pigs no matter how clean the shot can be as the are a big deterrence in the farming business, as far as money is concerned, I'll sholder shoot them because primarily the backstrap is all that is kept.

Comment

.24 cal or bigger here.

Comment

Working...
                                X