Sporterized Mauser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporterized Mauser

I picked up this interesting rifle recently. It appears to have been a 1950 Argentine 1909 Calvary Carbine Mauser at one time. It has been re-chambered in 30-06 and it looks like a Winchester (model 54/70 carbine?) barrel was used, but the iron sight holes were not filled. It is fitted with an older stock that resembles a sporter Rem 700 or Win 70 stock.
    I thought it might make a good little shooter/beater. I swapped an old Bushnell 3x9x32 on it and am looking forward to getting it ready to sight in.

Last edited by Jimbo; 09-21-2012, 10:51 AM.

Holy high scope rings, that bolt needs to be bent some more or you'll never be able to achieve a proper cheek wield. That being said those old sporterized Mauser's make excellent hunting rifles.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Looks like an FN contract Mauser. If it is, it might've been .30-06 from the factory. That's what my 1908 is.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I guess I should have put this in the gallery, with all of the pictures.

Originally posted by dee View Post
        Holy high scope rings, that bolt needs to be bent some more or you'll never be able to achieve a proper cheek wield. That being said those old sporterized Mauser's make excellent hunting rifles.
        Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The stock has an extra cheek rise that helps. I don't think I'll be spending much cash on this one though, as its purpose is to be el cheapo.

Originally posted by Yale View Post
        Looks like an FN contract Mauser. If it is, it might've been .30-06 from the factory. That's what my 1908 is.
        The receiver is marked F.M.A.P. Mauser Mod. 1909, direccion general de fabricaciones militares, the serial shows a 1950 manufacture out of 1909's.

Comment

I can't tell from the photos. Does it have a replacement safety to clear a lower scope?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            I can't tell from the photos. Does it have a replacement safety to clear a lower scope?
            No, this scope is as low as I can go and still use the safety. I wonder if I can find some iron sights to fit the barrel, since it has see through rings.

Comment

If you ever get the bolt to clear a lower scope, then check out a Buehler low style replacement safety.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Aren't the scope rings like that to be able to use steel sites?

Comment

But looking at it again..... no steel sites.

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
                      But looking at it again..... no steel sites.

Comment

Have you shot this gun yet? I ask because it's rare that a take off barrel lines up with the markings in the correct spots. I would at the very least check headspace just to be sure.
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                          Have you shot this gun yet? I ask because it's rare that a take off barrel lines up with the markings in the correct spots. I would at the very least check headspace just to be sure.
                          No, not yet. Of course, the previous owner said it shot well. I don't have any 30-06 gauges, but from what I can tell with paper, it seems to be ok.

Comment

I took it out this weekend. I went through a box of ppu 150gr. The scope was so off I had to come up to 40 or so yards to get it on paper. After a little adjusting it was drilling one hole with seven rounds at that distance. I realized this scope has an adjustment issue so I believe I am going to have to pick up another, as the other two I have are not long enough to fill the distance between the rings on the mauser.

Comment

Ok, so new plan. I have decided to have the bolt bent lower and replace the safety to clear lower mounts and a 50mm objective scope. I believe I'll still fit the barrel with some original sights as well.
                              Anyone have a recommendation on a gunsmith to modify the bolt or someone that sells a pre bent ready to install?
                              Last edited by Jimbo; 10-12-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X