Thoughts on Ruger LCR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
    I understand the .38 vs .357. Can you expand a bit on the .44 special vs mag?

Thx,

R
    .44 special was around first, and was developed by Elmer Keith and S&W into the .44 magnum. You can shoot .44spl out of a revolver chambered in .44mag.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
      .44 special was around first, and was developed by Elmer Keith and S&W into the .44 magnum. You can shoot .44spl out of a revolver chambered in .44mag.
      I am aware of that thanks. I was referring to CJ's statement ---

Even in short barrels .357 does have an advantage in velocity over .38, unlike .44 spec vs. .44 mag.

It sounds like he is inferring that the .44 special is equal to the mag round in velocity. .44 special can be loaded to 1155 fps/543 ft-lbs. The 44 magnum is what happens when you give a .44 special .357 magnum like velocity. Velocity kills and is the most important part of the formula Velocity (squared) x bullet weight (grains) / = Muzzle energy (kinetic energy at the muzzle). VS mag load 44 Magnum JHP 240gr---1160ft-lbs --- 1475fps.

Am I missing something CJ? I do most of my .38 and .357 loading. This is the first .44 mag I have owned, and I am largely unfamiliar with the uniqueness of it.
      Last edited by likeitfast55; 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I love shooting my pops' .357. The .45, I can't stand.
        Detailing by Dylan
        817-494-3396
        Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
        Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          I have a short barrel SP101 (that I've mentioned a million times) and even with VERY hot .357 my 50 yo mother in law shoots it fine.
          I went camping this weekend and one of the guys that was with us had an compact SP101 (along with a full size Beretta PX4 which was nice to) and I got a chance to handle it for a while. It's heavy but about what I expected, it's a comfortable weight and I bet it would soak up some .357 recoil nicely. Decisions... decisions... decisions...

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
            I went camping this weekend and one of the guys that was with us had an compact SP101 (along with a full size Beretta PX4 which was nice to) and I got a chance to handle it for a while. It's heavy but about what I expected, it's a comfortable weight and I bet it would soak up some .357 recoil nicely. Decisions... decisions... decisions...
            The Beretta PX4 line is nice. I have shot all three versions, and my favorite is the medium sized (compact) one.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              I have a short barrel SP101 (that I've mentioned a million times) and even with VERY hot .357 my 50 yo mother in law shoots it fine.
              Pics of mother?

Comment

Working...
              X