Cerakote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerakote

This is a cousin ar i just built. He wanted it FDE so i bought Cerakote, only did the lower and barrel. Media blasted, acetone bath, paint then baked it. Ive use Gunkote but this stuff seems a lot more durable. We'll see how it holds up.

You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Well done. I like cerakote, it is an extremely durable finish that holds up damn well. My P7 has an OD greed cerakoted frame and it shows absolutely no holster wear at all.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

How much would you charge to paint two rifles exactly the same way? I got one I want to bathe in desert tan and the other foliage green.
      First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
        How much would you charge to paint two rifles exactly the same way? I got one I want to bathe in desert tan and the other foliage green.
        Be careful. The ATF considers refinishing a manufacturing process, and therefore requires him to have an 07FFL.
        Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
        Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
          Be careful. The ATF considers refinishing a manufacturing process, and therefore requires him to have an 07FFL.
          What the fuck... Seriously?
          First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

If he was doing it as a business and it required the firearm to be left overnight/out of possession of the owner, then yes. But as a "come over and have a beer while I cerakote your rifle" then no. At least that's my understanding of it. Same way that build parties don't require FFL bs.

-Eric

Comment

Yeah i dont have time to be doing anyone else guns. Was just a favor for my cousin and using his as a guinea pig when i get around to doing mine.

It's really not hard or expensive, just like with any paint you need to prep well. I think i spent 2 hours prepping, 15 mins painting and 2 hours baking. And it also helps to know someone with a media blaster with aluminum oxide. It cost less than $50 to cerakote and i have enough left over for 3 more guns.
              You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Is it safe to use in a home oven?? Or how did you bake it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                  Is it safe to use in a home oven?? Or how did you bake it?
                  I used an old toaster oven in the garage for the lower, works great for small firearms. But i used the home oven for the barrel. I also open the windows in the house to be safe. It didn't put off any odor while in the oven. And the instructions didn't have any cautions or warnings for the baking process either.

Comment

I like cerakote, but I prefer duracoat for simplicity reasons. That turned out great, I absolutely detest glossy finishes on guns. I think my next AR I'm going to blast and anodize it brown/gold.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                      I used an old toaster oven in the garage for the lower, works great for small firearms. But i used the home oven for the barrel. I also open the windows in the house to be safe. It didn't put off any odor while in the oven. And the instructions didn't have any cautions or warnings for the baking process either.
                      Good to know.

Comment

That gun would be the tits if it was an SBR.
                        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Quick Question - The Cerakote site has a few different sizes available to order(4oz, 16oz, 32oz and 1 gallon). How much(roughly) is needed to do an AR15?

Comment

Working...
                          X