USMC Bans All Polymer Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC Bans All Polymer Magazines

Marine Times reports that the USMC ban on all non GI magazines is now official … Polymer rifle magazines, preferred by many combat troops for their durability, have been banned by the Marine Corps, according to a new administrative message published Monday. Effective immediately, only standard-issue 5.56mm metal magazines are approved, according to the message, … Read More …

Marine Times reports that the USMC ban on all non GI magazines is now official ...

Polymer rifle magazines, preferred by many combat troops for their durability, have been banned by the Marine Corps, according to a new administrative message published Monday.

Effective immediately, only standard-issue 5.56mm metal magazines are approved, according to the message, signed by Lt. Gen. Richard Mills, the Marine Corps’ deputy commandant for combat development and integration. They have a 30-round capacity with either tan, green or black followers, the internal plate that pushes rounds into a rifle’s chamber.

Marine officials began ad hoc bans on polymer magazines last year, citing concerns over their lack of compatibility with select weapons. The new message from Mills, who doubles as the commanding general of Marine Corps Combat Development Command, makes the ban official across the force.

No more p-mags for the boys over there. Maybe it is due to their, you know, not working in a shitload of other guns including the M27 IAR, SCAR, SA80, HK416, FS2000, L85, and even certain AR/M16 Lowers:

Some Arfcommers have reported compatibility issues with the new Magpul PMAG Gen M3 magazine. The over travel stop on the M3 can prevent it being inserted into some AR-15 lowers with oversized trigger guards. POF, Noveske and Spike Tactical billet lowers have been identified as having this problem. I asked Magpul’s Drake Clark about this … Read More …
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Yeah we started this on the range earlier this year basically telling guys if it wasn't issued to you, you can't use it.

I'm a range coach so I can get away with using what ever the hell I want usually.
    2004 Suzuki DL650
    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post

I'm a range coach so I can get away with using what ever the hell I want usually.
      Surefire 100 round ultra-mag?

Comment

Okay so where the fuck are all the cheap pmags. Magpul is either going to have to increase sales substantially, or increase prices in the consumer market.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Old news. The Army got rid of them months ago do to dumb government bureaucracies. See "unauthorized" items.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            Old news. The Army got rid of them months ago do to dumb government bureaucracies. See "unauthorized" items.
            I'm pretty sure that was just gossip back then, because they even made statements to the contrary.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The army recanted on it, saying it was more an advisement and not regulation.

I suspect the marines will do the same when magpul starts pulling strings

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                I'm pretty sure that was just gossip back then, because they even made statements to the contrary.
                Nope. TACOM released a message stating that pmags and all other polymer mags are on an unauthorized use list an to be turned in. Dept of the Navy is just next to follow suit.

Your cheap pmags btw are at any military surplus store near a base that troops deploy and return out of.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                  The army recanted on it, saying it was more an advisement and not regulation.

I suspect the marines will do the same when magpul starts pulling strings
                  Didn't know that just only saw the initial release.

Comment

Nope. TACOM released a message stating that pmags and all other polymer mags are on an unauthorized use list an to be turned in. Dept of the Navy is just next to follow suit.
                    I think you're mistaken, because I clearly remember them amending that initial statement you're quoting to say it did not include pmags.

Your cheap pmags btw are at any military surplus store near a base that troops deploy and return out of.
                    Know of any off hand?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      Know of any off hand?
                      There were a bunch for sale in the ft hood area. Most were NIB for $9. Used were $7.

Comment

Matthew Cox reports at Military.com … Despite the success of the PMAG, Army officials from the TACOM Life Cycle Management Command issued a “safety of use message” in April that placed it, and all other polymer magazines, on an unauthorized list. The message did not single out PMAGs, but instead authorizes only the use of … Read More …

Supposed ban on Pmags/polymer mags dated May 28th 2012.

The Army has “clarified” (reversed) the ban on non-GI magazines. Matt Cox reports … “At best, the message is incomplete; at worst the message allows soldiers to jump to the wrong conclusions,” Bourke said. “Maintenance Information Messages [from TACOM] are permissive. They are not an order. They are not a directive. All content and direction … Read More …

Army Says There Never Was A Ban on Non-USGI Rifle Magazines dated Jun 12th 2012.

Comment

Well atleast they get to keep a great product now.

Comment

Well atleast they get to keep a great product now.
                            The marines do not. Perhaps other branches will follow suit. Sucks for magpul.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                              The marines do not. Perhaps other branches will follow suit. Sucks for magpul.
                              Eh, they'll come around. USMC isn't their cash cow anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                              X