Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nagant rifle fired 3ft from my head. no ear plugs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one with a ruger MKII that someone dropped off because they tried to clean it and couldn't put it back together, so I got the gun and a box of parts. I was checking the feeding and chambered a .22LR round (I don't have dummy rounds for .22LR) and it discharged when I chambered the round. Turns out the person who give it to me had put the firing pin spring in wrong and it was held out. If it had a magazine in it the gun would have been full auto, haha. Needless the say the pickles in the fridge had to be replaced.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If your ever in stress situation, i highly doubt youll ever notice.

Good example is hunting situation. I shoot my guns at the range with ear protection, but hunting i do not. Now if i was in some kind of blind i still will.

When that animal comes out i go into go mode. I dont even hear the guns go off.

Comment

As far as I can tell, as long as the noise is not continuous/sustained you semi-recover. Although, I know everything from explosives/gun fire to screaming kids - my hearing is certainly a lot worst than it was 10 years ago.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          As far as I can tell, as long as the noise is not continuous/sustained you semi-recover. Although, I know everything from explosives/gun fire to screaming kids - my hearing is certainly a lot worst than it was 10 years ago.
          That's right, there is a formula for it. It's dB and duration that do damage. 150db monetarily does minimal damage. 140db for 5 seconds does considerably more, etc.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            That's right, there is a formula for it. It's dB and duration that do damage. 150db monetarily does minimal damage. 140db for 5 seconds does considerably more, etc.
            Same thing with vision. There is a formula for damage to your night vision from wearing NVG's too much. I used them a bit when I was in and spent a lot of time in the bright sun in the desert and now my eyes are much more sensitive to light.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              If your ever in stress situation, i highly doubt youll ever notice.

Good example is hunting situation. I shoot my guns at the range with ear protection, but hunting i do not. Now if i was in some kind of blind i still will.

When that animal comes out i go into go mode. I dont even hear the guns go off.
              As someone who has been in a few shootings I can say this is mostly true. With my M4 not only did I never hear it when shooting for real, I also lost total count of how much I had shot. My first firefight I was shocked to see 3 empty magazines at my feet. I do not remember even reloading. I hardly heard it shooting. My second shooting I thought I fired 4 or 5 rounds, I checked my mag when it was done and I was empty.

But I can also say during the first firefight I was less than a foot away from the muzzle of a M2 browning and when he opened fire I thought I was hit in the head. I actually had to reach up and check for blood.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                Same thing with vision. There is a formula for damage to your night vision from wearing NVG's too much. I used them a bit when I was in and spent a lot of time in the bright sun in the desert and now my eyes are much more sensitive to light.
                Were you using a PVS-7, or two PVS-14's? I'm surprised they can do damage to your vision.

Comment

Were you using a PVS-7, or two PVS-14's? I'm surprised they can do damage to your vision.
                  Both, at different times, but it may have been more due to the sun in the desert, but they would always warn us about using them too much when I was in Korea. Either way I wear sunglasses almost everytime I go outside during the daytime now, polarized lenses all the time otherwise it just hurts. It was like some small percentage for every 15 minutes of continuous use.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    Both, at different times, but it may have been more due to the sun in the desert, but they would always warn us about using them too much when I was in Korea. Either way I wear sunglasses almost everytime I go outside during the daytime now, polarized lenses all the time otherwise it just hurts. It was like some small percentage for every 15 minutes of continuous use.
                    That's crazy, I didn't know that. I wore my PVS-14 on one eye, I like not completely blinding myself at night.

Comment

That's crazy, I didn't know that. I wore my PVS-14 on one eye, I like not completely blinding myself at night.
                      Yeah, I didn't always have the option for 14's and it seemed like whenever I got stuck with the 7's I ended up having to use them. It might all be made up, I've never actually researched the claim, but my night vision was worse within 2 years so I tend to believe it.

Comment

Working...
                      X