Ruger mini 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger mini 30

Anyone have any insight on these? I've always wanted a mini-14/30 but I have never shot one. Opinions, comments?

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
    Anyone have any insight on these? I've always wanted a mini-14/30 but I have never shot one. Opinions, comments?
    Buy a SKS or AK First.

(They are cheaper, and you can buy more reliable magazines).

Well they were cheaper as of last week, don't know now. (And don't know how hard it is to get mags for the AK's now or those duckbill SKS Mags)

Comment

The new Mini 14's and Mini 30's are good guns. The older variants have some accuracy problems. Some of the early mini 30's had reliability problems.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Now, let's see if I can find one this day and age...

Comment

I've wanted one for a while. Will probably get one after an SKS. For some strange reason I have no aspirations to get an AK74 and I have no idea why lol

Comment

Have owned a number of Mini's. A mini 30 used to be my hog gun. I personally like the ergonomics of this little rifle better than an AR or AK.

My thoughts in no particular order:

1. buy a new one with the thicker barrel - stay away from the old pencil barrel ones
            2. Accuracy is about same as an AK - don't expect tight groups like an AR
            3. Don't use Wolf ammo. Stay with Tula or Yugo.
            4. They are going to cost you about the same as a quality AK or cheap AR
            5. Expect to have to modify it a little. Very easy to do.
            6. Fondle a SIG 556 first before you buy one.

Mods if you buy one .
            1. shim the stock. Factory stocks are loose to make it easy to take down and clean. Tighten up the action will get you better groups. cost $5
            2. Replace the gas bushing. Mini's are WAY over gassed from the factory. Trade the .80 bushing out for a .40 or .45 Cost - bushing kit $40
            3. Put a rail on it. The ruger rings are crap. I prefer the rails that replace the top handguard and top of the gas block. Cost -$150
            4. Put a shock buffer on the rear. I use Wilson shock buffers for a 1911. I already have a pack and they fit perfect. cost - $10
            5. Polish up the trigger group. Send it off to GUNDOC, don't do this yourself. Cost - $30
            6. Don't replace the hammer spring with an extra power spring. Mini's won't shoot really cheap ammo (Wolf) because the firing pin doesn't extend way out like an AK. Ruger did this intentionall to cut down on misfires when you drop the bolt on a new mag. This mod can shatter your firing pin and cost you an expensive repair. Aftermarket firing pins are not available, This is a factory repair.

Optional Mods.
            1. New stock. Plenty of variety out there, but I have not been overly impressed with the quality of the aftermarket stocks. You might find one you like though.
            2. Strut rod. Some people swear by them. Personally I found them expensive for what you got. I have bought some and made some. They helped a lot on the pencil barreled Mini's. Not so much on the newer more rigid barrels.
            Last edited by S_K; 12-20-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Good info there.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Is there a way to tell if it is a current model just by looking at it?

Comment

The new ones start with a 580 or better on the serial numbers. The old ones were 180+ series. Also the old mini's had an open blade sight on the front while the new ones have a shrouded front sight and a flash hider. Google images, you will see the difference.

The Mini 30 Tactical is the one to get.

Comment

I've called several stores, and non have it in stock.

You guys have any suggestions?

Comment

call the walmart in Burleson, they had one a couple of weeks ago.
                      QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

which one?

Comment

Haven't seen a new Ruger mini 30 in a store in years. Seriously, go look at the SIG 556. It already has all the mods done, takes AK mags, and is more accurate. Same price after mods too. Academy stocks them...not sure you can find one now though.

Comment

14 I think but I didn't look closely at it.
                            QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                              Haven't seen a new Ruger mini 30 in a store in years. Seriously, go look at the SIG 556. It already has all the mods done, takes AK mags, and is more accurate. Same price after mods too. Academy stocks them...not sure you can find one now though.
                              Is it not a 5.56?

Comment

Working...
                              X