School me on .300blk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on .300blk

I know you just need a barrel and you can use everything else .223....but what is the awesomeness about it? Also, who sells a sbr for it?

300 delivers a good bit more energy within 200yds usable. Something like twice the energy at 100 as the 5.56 does at the barrel.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

CJ can give you all the specifics but the ballistics are much better than that of the .223 at any given range. You're basically getting the power of an AK (7.62) with the accuracy of an AR (.223). The .300 blackout loses far less energy at 300 yards compared to the .223. Plus it's SAAMI spec'd and approved, so you see multiple manufactures actually making rounds for it. I'm at work right now but I found a great video on youtube that showcases the differences.

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      I know you just need a barrel and you can use everything else .223....but what is the awesomeness about it? Also, who sells a sbr for it?
      This is straight from the AAC page.

Introducing the Advanced Armament Corp. 300 AAC Blackout (300BLK). This system was developed to launch 30 caliber projectiles from the AR platform without a reduction in magazine capacity and compatible with the standard bolt.

Full power 115-125 grain ammunition matches the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm AK, and eclipses 5.56mm with much higher-mass projectiles for a more dramatic effect on the target. Or choose subsonic cartridges for optimal use with a sound suppressor - 220 grain Sierra OTM (open-tip match) bullets vastly outperforms a 9mm MP5-SD in penetration and long range accuracy.

At 300 meters, 300 BLK has 16.7% more energy than 7.62x39mm. Max effective range, using M4 military standards for hit probability, is 440 meters for a 9 inch barrel, and 460 meters for a 16 inch barrel. 300 BLK from a 9 inch barrel has the same energy at the muzzle as a 14.5 inch barrel M4, and about 5% more energy at 440 meters - even though the barrel is much shorter.

For hunting - think of it as like a 30-30 but from an AR. After you are done, you can remove your 5-round magazine and put in a 30 for plinking or home defense. For ammo, Remington has you covered with the Premiere AccuTip 125 grain. Want industry-wide support? Over 60 companies have already announced or sell products.

Due to the high efficiency of the cartridge, less powder is used than 5.56mm, which results in a rifle that is a comfortable to shoot - even with a short barrel.
      Last edited by motoman; 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
      Originally posted by Denny
      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

The only problem I see in the future is finding ammo. I cant cycle subsonic ammo in my non suppressed rifle. 300 blk is THE way to go if you ever plan on going sbr and or suppressed. From what i understand, the powder burns quick and it doesnt need the long barrel to gain its velocity. I love my 300 blk and 6.8 spc and you should build one if you plan on hunting out of an ar-15 platform. I have never been a fan of the .223 round for hunting.
        Last edited by brandon01rt; 12-20-2012, 07:35 AM.
        03 cobra

Comment

Start reloading. I don't see 223 brass or 30 cal projectiles ever being hard to find

Comment

AAC's specs are only relative to the type of bullet the 5.56 round uses. And It's a misconception that the 7.62x39 is inaccurate the round is good it's the platform and cheap ammo that's bad.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              AAC's specs are only relative to the type of bullet the 5.56 round uses. And It's a misconception that the 7.62x39 is inaccurate the round is good it's the platform and cheap ammo that's bad.
              So 300 blk is still effectively better. There isn't anything else that fires 7.62x39 accurately, it doesn't run for shit in an AR, and the only AR that uses it isn't even really an AR

Comment

the accuracy of the 7.62 past 300m is why it often gains this claim.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                  So 300 blk is still effectively better. There isn't anything else that fires 7.62x39 accurately, it doesn't run for shit in an AR, and the only AR that uses it isn't even really an AR
                  In semi platform yes.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                    the accuracy of the 7.62 past 300m is why it often gains this claim.
                    If you think the 300blk will be any better your mistaken. The 7.62 is a pretty good cartidge by design, in fact the PPC line of rounds use the 7.62x39 case as a parent.

Comment

In semi platform yes.
                      Well since the OP was referring to an AR platform, of course we're speaking about a semi platform...

Comment

Well since the OP was referring to an AR platform, of course we're speaking about a semi platform...
                        Here's something I've wondered though the 6mmAR is basically a 6ppc and is said to feed in the AR with certain 6.5g and 6.8spc mags, so I wonder if an AR in 7.62x39 could do the same. All I've ever seen tried were the so called spec mags and a few old gi mags.

Comment

Here's something I've wondered though the 6mmAR is basically a 6ppc and is said to feed in the AR with certain 6.5g and 6.8spc mags, so I wonder if an AR in 7.62x39 could do the same. All I've ever seen tried were the so called spec mags and a few old gi mags.
                          IIRC its the angle from the edge of the shoulder to the tip of the bullet and how the rounds line up in a mag that cause the issue with the x39 in the AR. That angle on the SPC and the x39 look wildly different

Comment

IIRC its the angle from the edge of the shoulder to the tip of the bullet and how the rounds line up in a mag that cause the issue with the x39 in the AR. That angle on the SPC and the x39 look wildly different
                            so are you saying there are no AR's in 7.62x39 that function flawlessly ?
                            I m totally serious, because I would like to buy one.
                            I don't give a shit about any wildcat cartridges like 300BLK, and I'm standardizing on x39 for my other guns

Comment

Very true it is a bit closer with the 6.5g case, I just kinda wondered since the last one I messed with the 6.8 or 6.5 weren't exactly available. Another thing I have wondered is that is which bore diameter the AR uppers have.

Comment

Working...
                              X