Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not firearm related but...

Seems best suited here.

Anyone here use the Lansky "Sharpening System"? Is this worth it? I'd like to get a decent set of stones or something of the sort to get a better blade on my knives. I'm sure nothing beats multiple stones and years of skill / experience, but can't make that sort of commitment.

Do these work as well as some people seem to think? Thinking of picking them up:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-5-Stone-Sharpening-System/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1356577900&sr=8-10&keywords=knife+sharpener[/ame]

I have had one for the last 11 years, still works great. I say buy it, as long as you put the blade in the same place every time it goes into the clamp you will get a great edge.

The only issue I had to overcome was when sharpening in a back and forth motion like they suggest I ended up with a bit of metal on the edge that dulled it .... kind of like a flap. Fixed this by only sharpening in the cutting direction after I got all the nicks out of the blade.

If yuo feel like giving a set a whirl before buying, give me a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
      I have had one for the last 11 years, still works great. I say buy it, as long as you put the blade in the same place every time it goes into the clamp you will get a great edge.

The only issue I had to overcome was when sharpening in a back and forth motion like they suggest I ended up with a bit of metal on the edge that dulled it .... kind of like a flap. Fixed this by only sharpening in the cutting direction after I got all the nicks out of the blade.

If yuo feel like giving a set a whirl before buying, give me a shout.
      I certainly appreciate the offer, though I have this $25 Amazon Gift Card burning a hole in my pocket. Trying to decide on a new fixed blade knife for camping or knife sharpening stuff. One thing I hate about gift cards is I can never seem to decide what I want to buy with them.

I usually end up sitting on them for months until I ultimately use them on something I absolutely need. I got a couple this year that I want to just spend somewhat frivolously.

Hell, I've already gone through $150 worth over the last month or so that I couldn't decide what to use them on so I just used them for gas in the truck. lol

Comment

Get the sharpener ... you wont regret it. Buying a new knife is nice, but having the sharpest blade in the room is better.

Comment

Buy this, done.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DMT-DS2F-12-Inch-Diamond-Sharpening/dp/B00004WFSY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1356634618&sr=8-5&keywords=knife+sharpener+rod"]http://www.amazon.com/DMT-DS2F-12-Inch-Diamond-Sharpening/dp/B00004WFSY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1356634618&sr=8-5&keywords=knife+sharpener+rod[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by bybotie View Post
            I was hoping you would chime in, because I have seen how sharp your pocket knife is.. Would this be preferable to the flat diamond stones? My concern with using a steel is that I am not sure I would be consistant enough with the angle.

The Lansky thing is appealing to me because it seems to let you "cheat" on getting the right angle. And I ask about the flat ones because I would think I would be better able to control the angle with those.

Your thoughts?

Comment

I use both flat stones and steel. The link I sent is not an old school steel, it is a diamond stone. It is much easier to watch the angle of the blade on a steel.I go by feel on the stone. Steel also works better on curved blades.The Lansky is ceramic and I do not like that at all.
              Originally posted by Chili View Post
              I was hoping you would chime in, because I have seen how sharp your pocket knife is.. Would this be preferable to the flat diamond stones? My concern with using a steel is that I am not sure I would be consistant enough with the angle.

The Lansky thing is appealing to me because it seems to let you "cheat" on getting the right angle. And I ask about the flat ones because I would think I would be better able to control the angle with those.

Your thoughts?

Comment

I doubt anything comes close to the cardboard wheel for getting a pro edge without the pro skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                  I doubt anything comes close to the cardboard wheel for getting a pro edge without the pro skills.
                  Don't even know what that is! Lol.

And to be clear, I don't need the sharpest edge on the site or anything, just a relatively easy and GOOD edge.

All I have right now is the below. Oh, and the regular honing steel that comes with kitchen knives. It's better than nothing but really doesn't do too much.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-CCKS-2-Step-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00032S02K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1356638811&sr=8-4&keywords=knife+sharpener[/ame]

Comment

I've got the Spyderco Knife Sharpner that I've been pretty happy with.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE[/ame]

Comment

there is a local guy, used to see him at shows. He sells these cardboard wheels that you put on your bench grinder. He came up with this because he runs a processing plant and needs a lot of sharp knives, and box cutters don't "cut it". I think there are lots of copies out there, all about the same deal. You do not need the abrasive or rouge really.

You stick this wheel on your grinder, gently swipe both sides and that thing is sharp as all get out. If you want to finish it off then strop it a couple times and you are done and no ceramic bar or any other system will beat it.

Comment

The Original Edgemaker Home Page. Introducing the easiest and safest knife sharpening tool around; each of these American-made Egemaker products is perfect for home and professional use. These sharpening tools are designed to accomplish all of your sharpening, honing and polishing needs: including serrated & electric knives, circular blades & slicers, and scissors. At an unbelievably affordable price, the Edgemaker will fix up any dull or damaged blade. After sharpening any otherwise useless blade, the Edgemaker sharpener will have paid for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                          there is a local guy, used to see him at shows. He sells these cardboard wheels that you put on your bench grinder. He came up with this because he runs a processing plant and needs a lot of sharp knives, and box cutters don't "cut it". I think there are lots of copies out there, all about the same deal. You do not need the abrasive or rouge really.

You stick this wheel on your grinder, gently swipe both sides and that thing is sharp as all get out. If you want to finish it off then strop it a couple times and you are done and no ceramic bar or any other system will beat it.

http://usaknifemaker.com/sharpening-...3-4-arbor.html
                          I had him touch up my SOG Xray at the last gun show ... honestly, not that impressed. I get a better edge out of my lanskey.

Comment

it can be overdone

Comment

jsut give it to marty and have him sharpen it!

god bless.
                              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X