Gun newb needs schooled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun newb needs schooled

Sent out a pm or two but I now realize we have armory forum. I might be getting an AR-15 bought for me by my father in law. Getting a gun bought for me so now's as good a time as any to start learning the hobby. He's one of those survivalist types and wants me to have a chance in hell at protecting his daughter. I can understand how he feels. So...

1. What brands to stay away from? I assume there is good shit and cheap shit. I don't want the cheap shit. He asked me to find a gun that's reasonably priced. Sure right now that may be a problem but I can wait.

2. What's the part you can't order online? IIRC, its the "receiver" correct? A member here told me to get the ones that load 5.56 as well as .223. So that's one requirement that I want.

3. Is there a good place/site/whatever known for private sales? I'm thinking this place, and craigslist.

the lower is considered the receiver for AR's and has to go through a dealer

If the AWB doesnt happen expect a sharp loss in value on any AR purchased in the next couple of months

Also be very careful with gifted firearms, they walk a real close line to straw purchases which are illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
      Also be very careful with gifted firearms, they walk a real close line to straw purchases which are illegal.
      Mr. Lucas
      Not always. A straw purchase is a purchase in which the actual purchaser uses someone else — a.k.a. the “straw person” to make the purchase and complete the paperwork. Generally straw purchasers are utilized because the actual purchaser is not eligible to conduct a transaction because they’re in one or more legally prohibited categories, such as being addicted to a controlled substance, being a felon, being underage, and so on.

However, a straw purchase occurs even when the actual purchaser is not a prohibited person. The crime committed is knowingly making a false statement on the Form 4473 indicating that the straw purchaser is the actual purchaser, when this is not the case.

Felons, who are also prohibited from conducting a firearms transaction, will sometimes attempt to obtain guns this way, because they wouldn’t pass the NICS background check and could not truthfully fill out Form 4473. If, however, Bobby was with his father or other legal guardian, and his father was legally eligible to obtain the handgun as a gift for Bobby, his father would fill out Form 4473, undergo the NICS check, and assume legal responsibility for the transaction and the gun. Bobby’s father could truthfully complete the Form 4473 to indicate that he is the actual purchaser because he would take title to the weapon and then transfer the firearm to Bobby as a gift.

Carla
      What if a customer who qualifies to own a gun buys a firearm as a gift for someone else?

Mr. Lucas
      The same rules apply. A transaction is legal as long as the person who fills out form 4473 does so truthfully and completes it as the actual purchaser. In that particular situation, we usually like to make sure they are aware of the rules associated with ATF I 5300.2. Again, you should feel comfortable denying the purchase if you think the customer is being dishonest in any way.

Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger View Post
        Sent out a pm or two but I now realize we have armory forum. I might be getting an AR-15 bought for me by my father in law. Getting a gun bought for me so now's as good a time as any to start learning the hobby. He's one of those survivalist types and wants me to have a chance in hell at protecting his daughter. I can understand how he feels. So...

1. What brands to stay away from? I assume there is good shit and cheap shit. I don't want the cheap shit. He asked me to find a gun that's reasonably priced. Sure right now that may be a problem but I can wait.

2. What's the part you can't order online? IIRC, its the "receiver" correct? A member here told me to get the ones that load 5.56 as well as .223. So that's one requirement that I want.

3. Is there a good place/site/whatever known for private sales? I'm thinking this place, and craigslist.
        If you want home protection, tell him to buy you a shotgun and lots of ammunition and not an AR. I have quite a few guns in my house and I can honestly tell you that if I had to protect my wife the LAST gun that I'd grab would be my AR. Not to mention it isn't going to break the bank for him to get you a nice shotgun. For a first gun I'd recommend a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. Both of those can be had brand new for less than $500.
        04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
        There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

He's said he's buying us AR's cause that's what he wants us to have. Not really for home protection per se...

I don't really want to look a gift horse in the mouth either. He says that's what he's buying us, I'll take it.

Brands to stay away from? What are the junk brands, if there are any. I'd heard stuff like tarus and keltec are brands to stay away from when it comes to handguns. Looking at their low prices, I can understand why. A gun seems like something you just don't want to skimp on. Also, how exactly do private sales work? I have a very strong distrust of government and I'm of the opinion that my affairs are none of their business. If he buys the guns and fills out all necessary paperwork, can he simply "sell" them to us? That does seem to fall within the "gun show loophole" as I understand it.

Comment

He can just hand them to you and that's the end of it. No paperwork needs to be filed after the initial purchase.

Comment

He can't buy them with the intent to sell them to you, but he can buy them and give them to you or he can give you the money and let you buy them for yourselves. It's tricky.
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I would think that the best way to do it would be for your FIL to gift you the money to purchase the AR, and have you fill out the paperwork. This alleviates any possible flags for a straw purchase, and it makes you legally liable for your own AR, should you want to sell it or whatever down the road.

If he's got any concerns that you'll not honor his wishes, and use the money for something else, then he doesn't need to be buying you an AR.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  I would think that the best way to do it would be for your FIL to gift you the money to purchase the AR, and have you fill out the paperwork. This alleviates any possible flags for a straw purchase, and it makes you legally liable for your own AR, should you want to sell it or whatever down the road.
                  Again, wanting to keep "them" out of my business and take advantage of the well known gunshow loophole. So it sounds like him simply buying them, and handing them over to us is the way to go. If he was ever asked about the guns, any reply he could think of would be perfectly legal. Same would go for me, sounds like.

Comment

Again, wanting to keep "them" out of my business and take advantage of the well known gunshow loophole. So it sounds like him simply buying them, and handing them over to us is the way to go. If he was ever asked about the guns, any reply he could think of would be perfectly legal. Same would go for me, sounds like.
                    How about just doing it the right way? I don't think that "they" are going to come and take it from you, but it does sound like you don't have the slightest clue about guns and maybe he should get you a .22 to learn with before you move up the "gun food chain".
                    04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

My son in law was recently denied a gun purchase and a loan for a car because he is on a "list". This young man has never done anything wrong. Hell he has never even had a speeding ticket. Is there anything he can do, or some one to contact? Me personally, I consider this an attack on his personal rights! Thanks

?????

Comment

If that's more than just a coincidence, that's pretty much the definition of a straw purchase.
                        04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Comment

ok so if my dad gives me a bunch of guns, new and used, that is perfectly legal right?
                          ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                            ok so if my dad gives me a bunch of guns, new and used, that is perfectly legal right?
                            Yeah, nothing wrong with that. It's when he buys you one and gives it to you because you aren't eligible to buy one yourself.

All of that is assuming that you are legal to own whatever gun it is that he's giving you.
                            04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Comment

The only record that you bought those guns will be your receipt and the Form 4473 that's kept at the dealer's (for 7 years, I believe).
                              Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                              As long as you're legally able to own them
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X