Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been a gun cleaning fool this week! got a new project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    You're wrong about the one thing we were arguing and you and CJ were being tools about. If you need a consolation prize or participant sure you don't NEED steel wool.
    Why the fuck are you bringing me into this? Where the fuck was I a tool? If you want to learn about finishes ill teach you.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      I wish I could just use :facepalm: and get picard. It would make my life a lot easier.
      Why the fuck are you bringing me into this? Where the fuck was I a tool? If you want to learn about finishes ill teach you.
      Maybe I mistook the fist quote...but it seems you're face palming the idea of him taking steel wool to 2 different finishes y'all don't know the difference between.

There is nothing truly valuable you will teach me about finishes. You may have some history lesson, but nothing of use to me.

Comment

Maybe I mistook the fist quote...but it seems you're face palming the idea of him taking steel wool to 2 different finishes y'all don't know the difference between.

There is nothing truly valuable you will teach me about finishes. You may have some history lesson, but nothing of use to me.
        Lol @ me not knowing the difference. I was simply giving him a cautionary notice. I have never seen this gun. You have been having a discussion with Yale, not me. I know more about finishing guns than you will ever know. I know you think your a genius and you like googling but let's get real here. I have hot blued, cold Blued, rust Blued, browned, and parkerized. I have refinished some very difficult guns to do and taught a few old gunsmiths some tricks. I'm not a master at anything, but I have an extremely firm grasp on what I'm talking about. Continue your conversation but keep me out of your ego trip.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'll bet you had a firm grasp on something else while you typed that response.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
            I'll bet you had a firm grasp on something else while you typed that response.
            Shit baby if you want some loving you just had to ask.

Comment

Shit baby if you want some loving you just had to ask.
              Or, I was referencing the "get off my nuts" aspect of your post.....

Comment

Lol @ me not knowing the difference. I was simply giving him a cautionary notice. I have never seen this gun. You have been having a discussion with Yale, not me. I know more about finishing guns than you will ever know. I know you think your a genius and you like googling but let's get real here. I have hot blued, cold Blued, rust Blued, browned, and parkerized. I have refinished some very difficult guns to do and taught a few old gunsmiths some tricks. I'm not a master at anything, but I have an extremely firm grasp on what I'm talking about. Continue your conversation but keep me out of your ego trip.
                So who were you being a smartass to with the face palm...seriously did I misread the intent of that?

And there are a lot more finishes than plain iron oxides. So again...there's not much you're gonna tell me that I could use. And yes you surely have more experience actually finishing the items...I simply have to know the mechanical properties of the finishes to know what to require. So you win the hands on experience with iron oxides no doubt..

Comment

So who were you being a smartass to with the face palm...seriously did I misread the intent of that?

And there are a lot more finishes than plain iron oxides. So again...there's not much you're gonna tell me that I could use. And yes you surely have more experience actually finishing the items...I simply have to know the mechanical properties of the finishes to know what to require. So you win the hands on experience with iron oxides no doubt..
                  I just don't understand why I was even involved in this at all. I was just making a courteous gesture in letting jester know that some early turn of the century shotguns were still being rust blued and you can't "spot finish" rust bluing, if you take some of it off, you have to disassemble the whole thing and rust blue it all over again unlike cold bluing (which is better for touch ups). If you hit it with say some steel wool and cut into metal and through the finish and you try to cold blue it, it will look like shit.

Here is a turn of the century shotgun I did a few years ago that was really difficult to refinish because you can't use acids or heat on this type of gun. This is the type of finish typical of that vintage shotgun.

What kind of bluing do you think that is?

Comment

I just don't understand why I was even involved in this at all. I was just making a courteous gesture in letting jester know that some early turn of the century shotguns were still being rust blued and you can't "spot finish" rust bluing, if you take some of it off, you have to disassemble the whole thing and rust blue it all over again unlike cold bluing (which is better for touch ups). If you hit it with say some steel wool and cut into metal and through the finish and you try to cold blue it, it will look like shit.

Here is a turn of the century shotgun I did a few years ago that was really difficult to refinish because you can't use acids or heat on this type of gun. This is the type of finish typical of that vintage shotgun.

sure looks good!
                    May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                      sure looks good!
                      I wouldn't recommend that on a valuable shotgun. He wanted it for a wall hanger, so looking pretty was the objective. I personally place a value on an old beat up seasoned gun, you can enjoy it and not worry about scratching the finish up.

Comment

A beautiful one

Why couldn't you use acids? Even Silver brazed barrels can handle cold rust or fume bluing correct?

Comment

A beautiful one

Why couldn't you use acids? Even Silver brazed barrels can handle cold rust or fume bluing correct?
                          That's cold blued, acids etch into the solder, especially at the muzzle and breech it can seep into the pores.

Comment

buncha nonsense in here.

throw everything in CLR over night then spray MOSSYOAK.
                            www.hppmotorsports.com
                            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

On another note, got my black powder rifle blued and finished today!
                              May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                              Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                              X